• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking in April... booking accommodation essential?

ward4e

Time of past OR future Camino
'13-French Way
'18-Via de Plata
'23-Gibraltair
Hi,

So using a Camino planner to get a plan of places to stay and my major question is in April is pre booking of accommodation essential?

Or is it early enough in the season and quiet enough so i can not really worry too much and just walk?

yeah i'm a little to casual at times.

buen camino!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi ,
You won't need to book accommodation unless you are planning to stop in Orisson for the night. Other than that let go of the worry of finding accommodation. You will always have a place to sleep.
Sharon

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Abbeydore said:
We go on April 1st, we are not booking anywhere, we did consider it though!

Cheers, with these replies I'm beginning to feel that stone egg of worry break down...

your kicking off on the 1st? so close but so far away, I'm starting fingers crossed 8th or 9th. I may not see you on the way but i'm wishing you the best of luck!

Whats your end date abby?

You do need to book at Orisson, otherwise no worries.

Ultreya,
Joe

I'm leaving around April 15 from Ventosa so might see you. Look for the forum patch on my backpack.
Suzanne

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I never booked anything, but one tiny regret is not staying in L'Esprit du Chemin albergue in SJPP. Everyone raves about how good, friendly and welcoming it is, and gets you into the spirit of the pilgrim as well as the Spirit of the Way. They seem to put some 'Esprit du Chemin' tape on your rucksack, and I saw many pilgrims with it still attached all the way to Santiago, such was their affection for the place (or maybe to demonstrate where they started from!). You'd need to book that place, though.

I had absolutely no complaints about the accommodation I ended up with in SJPP. Lovely place and lovely people, and that was arriving on the last train. You want to get off to a good start and I was lucky to get just that. The pilgrim office is great for advice.

Buen Camino!

scikowski said:
I'm leaving around April 15 from Ventosa so might see you. Look for the forum patch on my backpack.
Suzanne

I'll keep an eye out for you on the way. if you want to say hi look out for a green hat (same in my profile pic) a black back pack, and a large southern cross patch... I may go a camino forum patch too but we will see..

Awesome,

Well thankyou every one I guess i will not lose any sleep wondering about accommodation! as for sleeping out under the starts my old swag is way to heavy and by the smell of it a flight risk in itself!

Ok light weight tarp and sleeping mat should be more than sufficient for sleeping amongst the stars!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi, I will be starting on 2nd April from Najera. This is where I stopped in the summer from SJDP. Have about 7-8 days so will see where we end up. Any thoughts on how much gear to take in April?
Walked in the summer with my son Ryan who completed the whole route. My other son is coming with me this time we hope to get to the half way point.
The walk from SJDP to Najera was great, we met many lovely people. Most relaxing and peaceful, no worries. Looking forward to continuing the journey.
Highly recommend le chemin in SJDP to start.
Buen Camino!!

woody said:
Hi, I will be starting on 2nd April from Najera. This is where I stopped in the summer from SJDP. Have about 7-8 days so will see where we end up. Any thoughts on how much gear to take in April?
SNIP...
Buen Camino!!

April is a pretty decent weather time on the Camino. You may see some rain and cold mornings but nothing that regular gear won't handle easily. Take the very minimum so you can enjoy walking without much weight. 7-8 days won't require much more than a change of underwear and socks and one set of clothes. Take a waterproof shell raincoat and a light fleece and just layer in the morning if it is cold. You will warm up fast while walking. You can sleep in the fleece if it is cold at night and no blankets.
Buen Camino

I agree that not much gear is needed in April - I had a fully lined raincoat this April and sweated in it when it rained (one full day of hard rain and some showers in 21 days) - considering a lighter one for same-time-next-year.

We also didn't have any trouble getting accommodation, but some people did one day in Castrojeriz when one of the albergues was closed unexpectedly. When we got up in the morning, some pilgrims were sleeping on the floor in the kitchen...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Just be aware of Easter dates. April 8th is Easter Sunday so if you are in heading into Pamplona, Burgos or Leon and are thinking of staying for a day -so can't stay in an albergue- then you may need to think about booking in somewhere. But don't let that stop you we started our journey on Palm Sunday and had a wonderful time walking during Holy Week.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Folks, thanks very much for the advice. I will keep the backpack weight down. Looking for a light sleeping bag other than that just minimum clothing. Thanks for the info re Easter Sunday as we may be in Burgos by then, had hoped to spend the day there as I hear it is lovely.
Buen Camino

I walked in April/May this year and it would have been too cold to sleep outside for me, we only had 1 day where we were close to not getting a bed and that was in El Burgo Ranero and I think there were still beds available in another Albergue but it was on the other side of town. Hornillos del Camino after Burgos was pretty full as well but they had plenty of overflow space (I wouldnt stay there again though it was really grotty!!)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Sharni said:
Hornillos del Camino after Burgos was pretty full as well but they had plenty of overflow space (I wouldnt stay there again though it was really grotty!!)

It was the same when I was in Hornillos around the same time this year. I just refuelled (a couple of San Miguels) and carried on to Hontanas, where accommodation was plentiful. I didn't want to do the extra couple of hours, but once I got going again really enjoyed that stretch.

Spring weather is unpredictable and it is really important to have the right clothing.
A South African pilgrim wrote an article for our CSJ Newsletter AMIGOS titled "Brought to my knees on the Camino". She started on the 8th April and severe weather, snow, winds and mud literally brought her to her knees. She eventually ended up in hosopital in Burgos. Her big mistake was not having the correct clothing or rain gear.
Take thermals, a good waterproof raincoat or jacket, gloves and a beanie. Stuff newspaper into your wet shoes/boots overnight so that you at least start out in dry footwear. Walking on the roads is dangerous, especially in the early dawn or dusk. Be visible, always face on-coming traffic, wear a bright or luminous vest, clip a flashing cyclists lamp onto the back of your pack.
Be safe!

Attachments

• April - Forced to my knees on the Camino.doc
    26 KB · Views: 114
Aye great read... Once again proving there's no such thing as bad weather, there's only the wrong clothes. I am definaley going to be taking the right clothes.

I'm at work i'll talk more later... :p

buen camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
Be careful about discussing your accounts on this unencrypted site. I only wanted to know what banks charged the least expensive fees for ATM right now along the Frances. Not to open any new...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.