• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

walking in August 2006

jjfdevilliers

Hi, my name is Judith. I am from South Africa and plan on walking the Compostela during August of 2006.
Would appreciate any help or advise anyone has to offer.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I did the short bit from Sarria to Santiago in late September05 and it was great, so good that I am going back in Sept06 to do the whole route from St JPP. The weather was good and the trail not too crowded.

My son started from St JPP on 1st Sept and I met up with him for the last leg. I am told that August can be very hot and a little crowded, as lots of students do the route in the holidays, but September was good as far as weather was concerned, and the hostels were not crowded.

The best advice is to travel as light as you possibly can. You can manage without a sleeping bag and just take a duvet cover to sleep in. Do not carry lots of soaps etc as you can buy what you need along the way.

You do not need heavy duty boots, but get a pair of the best lightweight boots you can afford. Buy garments designed for walking with a high wick factor. That means they get rid of sweat (Sorry, ladies perspire!!) quickly and you do not end up walking in soggy clothing. A normal cotton T-shirt will hold the moisture and you end up damp from the inside. That means that when you stop for a break, you will chill down rapidly as the moisture evaporates. Buy trousers which zip off at the knees. Wear one pair and carry a spare pair. Buy good walking socks also with a high wick factor. If your feet cannot breathe, you end up in trouble

Walk in as little clothing as possible which will mean the perspiration will evaporate as you walk, and have a fleece strapped outside your rucksac to put on when you stop to keep your body temperature as constant as possible.

Walk at a constant even pace. Do not worry about the speed merchants who start at 0530hrs and then get lost in the dark because they missed a marker. Start walking at first light and you should be at your next resting place by early afternoon. You then have time to do your washing (very important!!) and have a scout around. Eat lots of bananas!!

Do not do the Camino if you are looking for a gastronomic experience!! If you like bread and cheese you will be OK. Drink lots of water.

For ladies walking on their own, the Camino has nothing for you to worry about. If you have a problem, you will never be alone, and the spirit of the Camino means that everyone pitches in to help if someone is in trouble, be it help with treating blisters, or encouragement to go that last few km's to the next refuge.

Most importantly, have fun!.

Covey

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim
Hello, Planning Sarria to Campostela mid Sept, 2024. Both wife and I are 71 years old and from America. Will fly from Paris to Campostela. We are pretty active and estimate 10-13 miles per day OK...
I have been planning my upcoming Camino using the Wise Pilgrim Frances app. Unfortunately, it has stalled at Burgos and will not give me any information beyond that city. I have tried...
Hi we are walking from Puebla De Sanabria to Terroso tomorrow and given the downpours we have had today, I wondered if anyone had any updates???
Hello peregrinos, we are Sara and Giuseppe, a Italian couple, we lost today a sleeping bag, in the way, from Pamplona to Puente De la Reina, anyone has found it? Let us know please.
Greetings to everyone, my name is Emre, I am actually from Turkey but I am currently doing an internship in Paris. I have had experience with routes such as the Lycian Way before, so I think I...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back