• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Walking in mid May

sebulba

Hello you all,

My partner and I will be walking from Palas de Rei to SDC (3-4 days) in mid May. To my understanding (and hope), this is before the "summer rush" begins. I read lodging shouldn't be a problem, but I just wanted to confirm that with the knowledgeable members of this forum...

Also, how is the weather this time of the year? I checked some 10-day forecasts (inaccurate, but they give you a general sense) and it seems sunny and warm (~20c) at day, but very cold (~3c) at night! Should we take heavy coats with us?

Thanks in advance,
-Tomer

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I hate/feel the cold and have walked separate caminos at diffeent times of year-including high summer and was always glad of my sleeping bag-Snugpak travelite 900gr. Even with that I sometimes slept with a blanket or in my clothes. The point being that you need a decent sleep which you won't get if you're shivering all night. I don;t take a coat as such but rather 1 t shirt which can be worn under a shirt and a fleece (lightweight but warm)-or variations depending on the weather.I used to take flimsy ponchos but decided after 2 disastrous caminos with them I now have a very efficient (but 800gr) 3/4 length rain coat-this could also double up to keep me warm. So with those 4 items I am well prepared. Don't bother asking about weather-it's unpredictable! The people in the albergue at castro dozon who did'nt have a blanket in addition to their sleeping bags shivered all night...and that was late june.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum