• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Weather in early may

batty

Time of past OR future Camino
may or september 2024
I am starting my Camino frances from SJPD on the 10th of May . I am finalizing my clothes and shoes for the trip. I am looking for advice from anyone that walked during a similar time line. Did you take a jacket ? or just layers ?
What did you pack waterproof or non waterproof shoes ? Any advice would be appreciated this is my first camino. Thank you

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Started twice around this date. I always pack to be OK in temps from 0°C upwards. Not that those temps are very likely, but i actually encountered single digits quite some mornings and once even a bit of snowfall. For rain i go with a minimal approach, light rain gear and non waterproof shoes.
But of course, most of my days were comfortably warm. Which wont help if you catch a cold on the single cold day.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
A lightweight waterproof jacket (shell only; no lining) is always one of my layers, whenever and wherever I travel.
What about a rain poncho? Would that be enough? What about a fleece or a poorer jacket, only one or take both?

I've started from SJPP many times in May.
I've seen sun, clouds, rain, fog, 70kph winds, snow, and sleet.
That said, I've been fine with a lightweight puff jacket, layered clothing and a good hat.
Once I start walking I'm usually peeling off layers within 15 minutes.

I would definitely take my ALTUS poncho - I would bet you'll see rain!
It keeps me warm and even keeps my feet dry. (I'm 5'3 but buy the XL for the length)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am starting my Camino frances from SJPD on the 10th of May . I am finalizing my clothes and shoes for the trip. I am looking for advice from anyone that walked during a similar time line. Did you take a jacket ? or just layers ?
What did you pack waterproof or non waterproof shoes ? Any advice would be appreciated this is my first camino. Thank you
I walked through snow and freezing rain at the top of the Napoleon Route on May 1st, 2018. Last year in early June I walked through a cold, driving rain (thunder storms) on the same stage. Really cold weather is unlikely, but it happens. It's best to be prepared. Layers of wool under a light weight waterproof jacket will work in most conditions in May. Start with a light weight long sleeve merino wool tee shirt or two. These will be useful later in the camino on their own - walking before sunup on cool mornings, or in keeping sun off your arms (yes, light weight merino wool is good in hot weather). Put a long sleeve shirt, fleece and/or a light pullover / sweater on top of the tee shirts, and then top it off with a waterproof, wind breaker. A light weight merino watch cap or buff that will cover your head and ears and a pair of wool glove liners should round out your cold weather insurance policy. Re footwear, you never know how much wet weather you'll have so it's best to have something to keep your feet as dry as possible. A pair of waterproof socks might be a good idea if your shoes aren't waterproof.

Buen Camino!

I walked through snow and freezing rain at the top of the Napoleon Route on May 1st, 2018. Last year in early June I walked through a cold, driving rain (thunder storms) on the same stage. Really cold weather is unlikely, but it happens. It's best to be prepared. Layers of wool under a light weight waterproof jacket will work in most conditions in May. Start with a light weight long sleeve merino wool tee shirt or two. These will be useful later in the camino on their own - walking before sunup on cool mornings, or in keeping sun off your arms (yes, light weight merino wool is good in hot weather). Put a long sleeve shirt, fleece and/or a light pullover / sweater on top of the tee shirts, and then top it off with a waterproof, wind breaker. A light weight merino watch cap or buff that will cover your head and ears and a pair of wool glove liners should round out your cold weather insurance policy. Re footwear, you never know how much wet weather you'll have so it's best to have something to keep your feet as dry as possible. A pair of waterproof socks might be a good idea if your shoes aren't waterproof.

Buen Camino!
thank you for a very helpful reply

I was on Camino last year but cut short my trip on 20 th may after 10 days due to cold and rain consistently every day.came back in August when weather was much better.ive been doing Camino's for 15 years now many times starting May and all was good.so definitely take wet gear and warm clothing as well won't go amiss.im personally starting in Pamplona this year on 12 th May walking to Astorga this year

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
you could check the ten day forecast which should give you a little help although not always accurate. then adjust your pack accordingly.

I've started from SJPP many times in May.
I've seen sun, clouds, rain, fog, 70kph winds, snow, and sleet.
That said, I've been fine with a lightweight puff jacket, layered clothing and a good hat.
Once I start walking I'm usually peeling off layers within 15 minutes.

I would definitely take my ALTUS poncho - I would bet you'll see rain!
It keeps me warm and even keeps my feet dry. (I'm 5'3 but buy the XL for the length)
I think you are 1000% correct about the Altus poncho. I do sweat alot in them but everything stays dry and sweat is the least of my worries. I walk later in the year and I now i only take on outer layer and a really, really light down jacket. I have realized that if I do get cold with just the one layer I can put on my Altus poncho to keep me warm.

What about a rain poncho? Would that be enough? What about a fleece or a poorer jacket, only one or take both?
If you prefer a poncho, then that would be your rain protection. As to the fleece or other ("poorer"?) jacket, that depends on what all your various layers are. Fleeces come in different weights.

You need to be able to combine, layer by layer, a set that is good for a big range of weather and exertion.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I walked from SJPdP on April 7 last year and the weather was magical. I think I wore a jacket around Burgos.

I have always worn waterproof shoes, same type and size for years upgrading every 500km or so. By the time I reached Pamplona, I ditched the tried and tested and went for more of a non waterproof runner and didn’t regret it. If you told me before the Camino that I would change like that I would have thought it crazy, but worked a treat.

My vote would be non water proof shoes and a lighter jacket.

I learned that my waterproof rain jacket was really not waterproof. So in addition to my rain jacket I brought a cheap $10 plastic rain poncho that covered me and my backpack, and folds into a compact size. Buen Camino.

I learned that my waterproof rain jacket was really not waterproof. So in addition to my rain jacket I brought a cheap $10 plastic rain poncho.
The combination of the two should work. The only way to see if a jacket is rainproof is to wear it in a long shower. 😉

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.