• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

walking in sandals only?

Olaes

Time of past OR future Camino
plan to walk Camino Portuguese in June 2014
It is certainly too late for me to give it a go as I have left my trekking sandals back at home but...do you think it would be possible or better still have any of you walked the camino in sandals only? I forgot how hot proper summer can be (not really exposed to high temps living in Ireland) - I've spent last few days with my parents and it has been really warm (ca. 30C) and it make me think I will probably boil in my walking shoes:(

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Olaes, I went for my first... Possibly last..training walk today. I live in the Brecons. It was about 75 today , very hot sun, deep blue sky. I walk my little country lane 8 miles to Brecon, stopped for 20 minutes then walked back home. I wore my new Osprey pack loaded to 10kg... more than I will take.. and wore my new merrell approach shoes, one size bigger as seems advised and a bridge dale thin sock. I have to say it all went pretty well.. The pack feels good, the only thing was my slightly larger right foot, the big toe felt a little cramped... But early days... My feet did not really get hot in these shoes. However it has made me decide to ditch my camera and a few other bits and to buy a decent walking sandal to take as well. There is no doubt it will feel lovely on certain easy going sections. Good luck whatever you decide..Tom

I walked in leather walking boots last month with temperatures up to 30 at times, I found that it helped that whenever I stopped for a coffee to take my boots off to let the sweat dry out a little. (Disgusting, I know but many other people were doing the same). I personally would not walk in anything but well worn in leather boots, no blisters and happy, if slightly sweaty feet!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It is certainly too late for me to give it a go as I have left my trekking sandals back at home but...do you think it would be possible or better still have any of you walked the camino in sandals only? I forgot how hot proper summer can be (not really exposed to high temps living in Ireland) - I've spent last few days with my parents and it has been really warm (ca. 30C) and it make me think I will probably boil in my walking shoes:(
I walked flat sections in sandals, but boots most of the time. I've now bought low lighter boots, but would use my sandals on more stretches as they give your feet a chance to breathe and wiggle around. The guy in line behind me getting his compostela last October used boots the first day from St. Jean, then ditched them as they gave him blisters, and he walked the rest in hiking sandals and thought it was fine.

I've just walked from Le Puy to Conques in walking sandals, and it was fine. Walked from SJPdP to Burgos in walking boots last year and got dreadful blisters.

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Mind walking from Ponte de Lima to Rubiaës you are walking, climbing, decending at an off road trek with big rocks so my experience is that walkingshoes are safer.
Bom caminho

I have posted this before and hope is worth repeating. When it comes to long distance hiking NOBODY can walk in your shoes. Comfort is a combination of terrain, weather, foot, and body mechanics. At least two of these factors are completely individual. I tried walking sandals (some of the best and most highly recommended). I could not wait to ripped them off my feet. Then, I walked hundreds of Kms in my Merrell, ankle support, waterproof boots and felt in heaven. Based on this, the only thing I could say to you for long distance walking is you need to TRY IT ON. I saw a young Australian girl wearing sandals getting a gash from wood debris been carried by flooded waters as we approached a bridge near Estella. My waterproof boots...not so when it rained torrentially on the Camino, but at least my feet were protected from the debris and I felt well anchored when the terrain was unstable or deep descents. I did carried open toe sandals and intend to do so again when I return for the 6th time to the Camino in 2 weeks. As far as blisters, I read how to prevent them and it all worked like a charm.

Buen Camino!!

[QUOTE="Olivares, post: 219737, member: 12248" When it comes to long distance hiking NOBODY can walk in your shoes. Comfort is a combination of terrain, weather, foot, and body mechanics. At least two of these factors are completely individual.
![/QUOTE]

Olivares is so right. I am in the lightweight runners or sandals brigade, but completely endorse what he says.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You can buy trekking sandals in most biggish towns on the Camino, if you change your mind (especially in pilgrim stores). If you are sold on only sandals, you can mail your boots ahead to Santiago. (But I really needed the boots, not everyone does).

I for one loved my boots - carefully selected and tested. I did, in fact, - after a short while - choose my boots above sandals when having a walk around at my destination (after the day's walk).

And strange as it is, that when I came to my destination somewhat exhausted after quite some walking - I would again choose to go out again in my boots and walk some more! It is so good to see where you have arrived at and take in local ambience, life, smells, and do people watching - in short see daily life as it is lived.

annelise

- and for me (elderly woman, mind you) there were stretches that I could not have negotiated without ankle support ...

Sandals were the best item I took to the Camino but I wore them only when going downhill or when my feet were too hot. They don't have the cushioning as the shoes have so afterwards my feet hurt.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
H
ere is my two cents

Ok here is my 2 cents. I use two types of shoes when hiking...trail running..walking long periods. I have orthopedic flip flops...they are made by a company called Sole and are amazing...never a blister or a sore foot no matter how long I walk. For running and yes HIKING I use barefoot technology shoes. The brand I have is made by Solomon and I am on my 2nd pair. The new pair is water proof so I can walk in water and my feet won't shrivel up! No blisters EVER...I could live in these shoes and they are only around $120CND ....Love love love them. The flip flops cost me about $90 CND and also well worth it. They have never given me a second of grief. I walked all over Spain and France in them!!!

H

ere is my two cents

Ok here is my 2 cents. I use two types of shoes when hiking...trail running..walking long periods. I have orthopedic flip flops...they are made by a company called Sole and are amazing...never a blister or a sore foot no matter how long I walk. For running and yes HIKING I use barefoot technology shoes. The brand I have is made by Solomon and I am on my 2nd pair. The new pair is water proof so I can walk in water and my feet won't shrivel up! No blisters EVER...I could live in these shoes and they are only around $120CND ....Love love love them. The flip flops cost me about $90 CND and also well worth it. They have never given me a second of grief. I walked all over Spain and France in them!!!
They are in fact not Solomon...but Merrell. Sorry for the confusion.

Thank you all! My leather sandals are packed - will report upon my return.

No harm done on the Portuguese Camino, give the sandals a real go.
I used Merrell light weight with sandals about 50% each on all walks since 08 , with blisters in first year only
This year sandals only , no problems but socks early for warmth.
We only walk 16-20km a day regardless............ sandals are fine.......just take your time.

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Everyone has a different situation, but I spent a lot of time with a podiatrist just 3 weeks ago with my sandals, inserts, boots and shoes. For me, he said, "take the sandals if you want the extra weight but use the boots for their support." I'm gonna' carry the extra 14 oz... and wear the boots (2.2 lb)- oh, and fight that stupid blister on my little toe...

Any advice on walking in runners. I walked in hiking boots three years ago and never again. Like blocks on my feet.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am planning to take both Mephisto boots and Keen walking sandals for my continuation in October. I am debating whether to even take the boots at all. Last October I walked from SJPdP to Santo Domingo in Merrell Moab waterproof boots and suffered from bad case of blisters.

My preferred sandals are Keens... MimisCakes and Jnlee99 may make me rethink my podiatrist's advice....

There are many options between "hiking boots" and "trail runners" or "sandals". For example, breathable hiking "shoes", that offer support and a rugged sole.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Back from Santiago yesterday. I am sure glad I took my boots with me! Will try to update my blog in coming days to share my experience.

If you use sandals make sure they are actual hiking sandals! As a penance I hiked the last 18k's of my camino in rainbows and my back did not take too kindly to that! I attached a photo of our arrival of the city limits!
ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1403991193.394187.jpg

I walked from Le Puy to Muxia, Arles to Puente la Reina and Puente la Reina to Santiago in New Balance 856 trainers, elastic shoelaces, feet vaselined with Injinji 5 toe liners and Thorlo socks. Complete comfort, no sore knees or ankles and no blisters. I'm a Teva sandal addict and planned to use them, but the NB were so good I wore them all the time.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I always try to put myself in the "shoes" (pun intended) of the earliest pilgrims who likely had no shoes what so ever! And if they did, they were probably made either of wood (think clogs) or leather. I firmly believe that modern shoery (I just made that word up. How do you like it?) has ruined my feet. It's true. Were have evolved to walk and run upright on all kinds of terrain except concrete and asphalt in bare feet. Had I never been put into shoes as a child I would walk barefoot everywhere. But alas, the common thinking back then (date deliberately omitted)was shoes are good!
I wear them. To death. I'm actually considering a new pair for upcoming walk. Probably a low top, light hiking shoe. I like the idea of sandals but I hate the thought of getting the end of a broken root shoved through the front of a toe. I like Crocs for after walking walking. Light weight, dry quickly after a shower and crushable.

I recently walked the Portuguese route from Lisbon wearing Merrell Moab ventilators. They were very comfortable, mid height boots. I would be worried about stubbing my toes in sandals and I hate to have dusty, dirty feet. The walking surfaces on the Portuguese route are quite punishing, I came across many more people with serious foot problems on this route than I did last year on the camino Frances. I would opt for boots every time, but I don't suffer with sweaty feet. Even so, weather permitting, I took the opportunity to remove boots and socks for a breather whenever the opportunity arose.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I met a guy walking the Camino completely barefoot and he seemed happy enough. While I have absolutely no desire to try such an extreme feet *cough* myself, when it comes to footwear, anything is possible! It's been done by someone, somewhere with happy results. Sandals, crocs, barefoot, whatever--someone, somewhere has done it before and thrived. =)

I met another person who was hiking with sandals, but I was less impressed after I met the guy walking barefoot. She was hurting in her sandals, but it was early in the hike and pretty much everyone was hurting then. I'm not sure I'd blame the sandals without more research.

If you're comfortable walking in sandals, go for it! If they don't work or don't feel right, stop using them. Unless you try it yourself, though, I don't think you'll know if you're really a sandals person or not. (It might be a good idea to try it before heading to the Camino, though.)

-- Ryan

I met a guy walking the Camino completely barefoot and he seemed happy enough. While I have absolutely no desire to try such an extreme feet *cough* myself, when it comes to footwear, anything is possible! It's been done by someone, somewhere with happy results. Sandals, crocs, barefoot, whatever--someone, somewhere has done it before and thrived. =)

I met another person who was hiking with sandals, but I was less impressed after I met the guy walking barefoot. She was hurting in her sandals, but it was early in the hike and pretty much everyone was hurting then. I'm not sure I'd blame the sandals without more research.

If you're comfortable walking in sandals, go for it! If they don't work or don't feel right, stop using them. Unless you try it yourself, though, I don't think you'll know if you're really a sandals person or not. (It might be a good idea to try it before heading to the Camino, though.)

-- Ryan
As the Dutch proverb says " just do what you say, then you do not lie "

I'm taking both boots and sandals. Boots for the rough and sandals for the smooth and after a long day in boots. I can also use my sandals as shower shoes.
As the Dutch proverb says " just do what you say, then you do not lie "

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Loaded up my gear and did a 7 mile tune up walk in full kit wearing sandals for the first time. Outside temp 100 and humid. Wow what a difference. I'll be doing more training walks with sandals.

I'm taking both boots and sandals. Boots for the rough and sandals for the smooth and after a long day in boots. I can also use my sandals as shower shoes.
Good idea ! Hope they are not heavy and dry quickly. We use Crocks for showering and relaxing after walking. My recent pair I bought in a Chinese shop in Miño (along the camiño Ingles) for € 5,95 These shops are everywhere around in Spain and Portugal and sell everything except for the kitchensink.

Did another hot humid 6 miler today wearing my 2 strap sandals to make sure yesterday was not a fluke. I have spent a few years and a lot of money trying to find the perfect shoe/boot for the Camino, who knew? Buen Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I've just walked from Le Puy to Conques in walking sandals, and it was fine. Walked from SJPdP to Burgos in walking boots last year and got dreadful blisters.

Olaes, you are most likely back home by the time I am writing this, but since these threads stay up and others read them here is my experience.

1st Camino: wore Merrell shoes that resemble this year's Mimosa Ginger Model. Loved the fact that I could remove the back strap if I got a blister and still had a good trekking sole. And they have good ventilation. But the ball of my feet hurt and the days ended up being quite long.

2nd Camino: bought gorgeous, light, memory foam-lined Mamuth hiking boots. Ball of foot hurt so much that on morning 2 I tied them to my rucksack and put on my slip-on Crocs. And by slip-on I mean they look like the old Dr. Schols sandals, the one with wooden soles and a single leather strap. Yes, you read right. It was heaven! This was starting in Hospital and walking to Astorga where I found a trekking equipment shop and bought Northland trekking sandals, that only had 2 velcro straps but a high arch. Loved it, and didn't mind getting my feet wet in the Galician rain since my feet would dry in an instance.

3rd Camino: having been diagnosed with flat feet, hence the pain on the ball of my feet, I opted for a pair of Columbia Gortex trekking running shoes in which I would put my prescription insoles for my flat feet. Heaven!

So ... pain is not something you need to live with. Boots that weight too much and cover your ankle: not needed either. Light, with a good sole, and the proper structure for your feet is ideal, although walking, in dry weather with my slip-on Crocs was, as incredible as it sounds, just fine. Because I need to wear my Rx insoles I will stick with a shoe in which they can fit, but other wise, the Merrel and the Northland sandals were just fine.

My Salomon trekking shoes were wet after the walk from SJPDP to Roncesvalles so I used Teva hiking sandals from Roncesvalles to Zubiri and enjoyed walking through the puddles. I wore several layers of tops but my feet were not cold. After that, I walked all the way to Santiago with my sandals, which I wore with woolen socks. My trekking shoes were 700 grams that I carried in my back but didn't use except for the Pyrenees crossing.

Most read last week in this forum

I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...
We arrived in Porto by train from Lisbon yesterday afternoon. Long haul from Australia via Singapore, Milan and Madrid departed April 23. Our first encounter with other pilgrams was when 3...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello pilgrims, I have unfortunately hurt my knee(s) on the second day of walking from Porto. I pushed through some more kilometers, but I had to take a break in Marinhas. I tried everything to...
I have a new copy of the guide to Camino Portuguese by Kat (I think) XX. My question is: is there anyone who is going to Lisbon/ Porto who could pop it in the Albergue municipal/ or use it and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back