• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking now - feb 2017

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
How difficult is it finding accommodations every night? Meals, shops for groceries, etc?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
What day did you start? How wet has the trail been?

I Started on 2 February. The first week was rain, rain and more rain. The last week has been glorious, sunshine most days. Cold at the start but warmer by about 10am. Today was a high of 16 deg C.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Some are freezing but some are excellent. Most turn off the heating so by 2am it's freezing cold.

Hi @Frederick77 I will be starting from StJPdP in 2 weeks (March 8th if all goes well) and in my last stages of preparation. Am curious if the photo you have posted is your walking attire from your Summer Camino? I included shorts and T shirt in my kit but expect to walk in them only sporadically. I believe that I will be wearing long sleeve tech shirt and long pants most of the time. Any info on walking attire at this time of year would be appreciated.
Bests and Buen Camino

HI, definitely long pants and shirts. Having said that today was so hot. I took off almost every layer. We have been so blessed with sunshine and good weather for more than a week now. I have shorts and tshirt as well though.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Another beautiful day on the Camino. Blue skies and warm day. In Foncebadon, it's freezing but such great hospitality at albergue monte irago!

Ahh, I have fond memories of Albergue Monte Irago. My sister and I were the last to arrive on a freezing cold day in November 2013. And it was full!!! No problem, they unlocked the door at the top of the steps to the attic, and we had it all to ourselves complete with private bathroom.
Jill

Like Frederick and Jill, I have fond memories of Monte Irago.

March 2009 I spent 3 snowy days there during a true blizzard. The main room eventually resembled descriptions of Mt Everest base camp! Outside there was at least 75 centimeters of snow on the ground with much deeper drifts in a white-out.

Psychologically the albergue mood was a mix of Sartre's No Exit and 1930's social realism written by Clifford Odets. Instead of being greatly relieved to find physical warmth, clean beds and good food available in the middle of a snowstorm on the side of a mountain, some pilgrims actually complained! ...Twas ever thus.

Each time I would stop again at Monte Irago the main hospitalero would always great me with a big hug and say "Hola! You were here before during our big storm!"
...Then I was most grateful for warm shelter; now I am grateful for those precious memories.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Walked through Foncebadon in thick fog on an icy cold rather damp morning. Stopped for some hot chai, a plate of local cheese, bread, and a warm up in front of an open fire. Have a yen to stay at Foncebadon this next time around so thanks for the info about albergue which I've added to my list. Before anyone assumes otherwise I will add this is a maybe list and not a definite one. :)
Buen camino

Hi @Frederick77 I will be starting from StJPdP in 2 weeks (March 8th if all goes well) and in my last stages of preparation. Am curious if the photo you have posted is your walking attire from your Summer Camino? I included shorts and T shirt in my kit but expect to walk in them only sporadically. I believe that I will be wearing long sleeve tech shirt and long pants most of the time. Any info on walking attire at this time of year would be appreciated.
Bests and Buen Camino

Hi, I will also be walking on the Camino in early March! Leaving Canada on March 8th actually and planning to start walking on the 11th. Glad to here other people will be around at that time too!

ive been on the Camino Frances for 3 weeks now. Winter is so different to summer. We are a steady group of 5 guys. Have met a few others on the way. Was wondering if any other members are walking now and where they are?!

Ps I'm almost in Astorga

Hola Frederick,
Started walking on February 18 from SJPP so only had the glorious weather : )
Sleeping tonight in Navarette.
Would say that there are ~ 5-10 pilgrims around, but most days I have the Camino all to myself during the day.
Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi all
In OCebreiro tonight. What a glorious day for walking. Sunday was blessed with sunshine and a challenging walk up the mountain. But the hamlet is so beautiful in the daylight. Cold tonight but wonderful.

Attachments

• IMG_2964.JPG
    IMG_2964.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
The idea of a winter (Dec/Jan) Camino Frances has been gathering speed and heft in my mind and, after reading this thread, I am now set on doing it! As an Australian whose idea of a cold winters day is 10 degrees C, I feel rather underresourced, practically and mentally. I would love as much information as anyone is willing to share re: temperatures, open albergues, equipment, etc. Feel free to email me at aquariusomgirl@yahoo.com.au if you wish - I have no idea how to privately message on this forum. Thankyou so much!

The idea of a winter (Dec/Jan) Camino Frances has been gathering speed and heft in my mind and, after reading this thread, I am now set on doing it! As an Australian whose idea of a cold winters day is 10 degrees C, I feel rather underresourced, practically and mentally. I would love as much information as anyone is willing to share re: temperatures, open albergues, equipment, etc. Feel free to email me at aquariusomgirl@yahoo.com.au if you wish - I have no idea how to privately message on this forum. Thankyou so much!

I walked the Frances last December, it was truly beautiful, much different than in Summer. As for Albergues, as Frederick K77 said, they are open in all the main towns (the only time I followed the Brierly stages)! In the smaller villages the albergue may be technically open but you may have to ring for the key to get in. And don't count on the heating being on! (Take a decent sleeping bag). Weather is truly changeable, for instance on many days I set off in thick fog but by midday it was warm enough to sit outside with no coat on. Then it would rain. The hospitalero's will always advise you on weather conditions and albergues down the line, listen to their advice. There is a winter list of open albergues in the resource section you can download, but if you set off from St. Jean the pilgrims office there will give you a list of open albergues. You may or may not meet other pilgrims at the end of the day. Also because of the dark mornings, most albergues relax their rules somewhat and let you leave later. All in all, take a good layering clothing system and enjoy. A winter Camino is very special and the camaraderie between pilgrims is very special too.

Buen Camino!
Davey

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I walked the Frances last December, it was truly beautiful, much different than in Summer. As for Albergues, as Frederick K77 said, they are open in all the main towns (the only time I followed the Brierly stages)! In the smaller villages the albergue may be technically open but you may have to ring for the key to get in. And don't count on the heating being on! (Take a decent sleeping bag). Weather is truly changeable, for instance on many days I set off in thick fog but by midday it was warm enough to sit outside with no coat on. Then it would rain. The hospitalero's will always advise you on weather conditions and albergues down the line, listen to their advice. There is a winter list of open albergues in the resource section you can download, but if you set off from St. Jean the pilgrims office there will give you a list of open albergues. You may or may not meet other pilgrims at the end of the day. Also because of the dark mornings, most albergues relax their rules somewhat and let you leave later. All in all, take a good layering clothing system and enjoy. A winter Camino is very special and the camaraderie between pilgrims is very special too.

Buen Camino!
Davey

Davey thankyou so much for this information! Reading your recollections and advice inspires me tremendously. The albergues list from SJPDP you speak of, this lists open albergues specifically in winter? Is there much point planning stages ahead of time or is it better to see what the weather is doing? Also, equipment-wise, would one wear different shoes compared to what one would wear in summer? I wore breathable Salomon hiking shoes in June this year but worry they might be too breathable/permeable for winter. Is there much ice on the ground? Just remembering a few descents around Pamplona and El Acebo and I worry what they would be like if ice were an added difficulty.

I hope I am not too annoying with all these questions! Thankyou for your input :)

Davey thankyou so much for this information! Reading your recollections and advice inspires me tremendously. The albergues list from SJPDP you speak of, this lists open albergues specifically in winter? Is there much point planning stages ahead of time or is it better to see what the weather is doing? Also, equipment-wise, would one wear different shoes compared to what one would wear in summer? I wore breathable Salomon hiking shoes in June this year but worry they might be too breathable/permeable for winter. Is there much ice on the ground? Just remembering a few descents around Pamplona and El Acebo and I worry what they would be like if ice were an added difficulty.

I hope I am not too annoying with all these questions! Thankyou for your input :)

Hi Katie, the albergue list from the pilgrims office in SJPdP is the same as they give out all year, but it does tell you when each albergue closes for the season or if it is open all year. However, we did find that ALL the guidebooks and even this list is not to be relied on 100%. If a private albergue does not see a pilgrim for a while they may just close. Or, the list may say it is open all year, apart from the two weeks they go on holiday themselves! But ask the hospitalero where you stay for advice down the line, or stick to the main towns as there is always an albergue open. Sometimes the albergue situation is weird, for instance a large town like Astorga has one albergue open, then you find a tiny village with three open! Also, if the albergue in a village is also a bar then they tend to stay open as the bar is used by the locals.

In fact I think because there are so few pilgrims about, a winter pilgrimage (on the Frances) you don't need to plan ahead at all. Just walk and enjoy. It is unlikely an albergue will be full, and, because it is winter they will always find space for you.

Footwear, my advice is something waterproof, if only because drying clothes (socks) becomes more problematical (cant put your laundry outside and the albergue heating may be off). Take extra socks!

You are likely to encounter ice or snow at higher elevations, but again listen to the locals advice. Sometimes you may be advised to take a road route. Walking poles or a staff is very helpful when it is icy for balance. It is possible you have to stay somewhere a day or so if there is a snowstorm, so it is worth planning that the camino will take longer than normal. But to be honest that is unlikely, but it is worth having a time buffer just in case.

Davey

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Katie, the albergue list from the pilgrims office in SJPdP is the same as they give out all year, but it does tell you when each albergue closes for the season or if it is open all year. However, we did find that ALL the guidebooks and even this list is not to be relied on 100%. If a private albergue does not see a pilgrim for a while they may just close. Or, the list may say it is open all year, apart from the two weeks they go on holiday themselves! But ask the hospitalero where you stay for advice down the line, or stick to the main towns as there is always an albergue open. Sometimes the albergue situation is weird, for instance a large town like Astorga has one albergue open, then you find a tiny village with three open! Also, if the albergue in a village is also a bar then they tend to stay open as the bar is used by the locals.

In fact I think because there are so few pilgrims about, a winter pilgrimage (on the Frances) you don't need to plan ahead at all. Just walk and enjoy. It is unlikely an albergue will be full, and, because it is winter they will always find space for you.

Footwear, my advice is something waterproof, if only because drying clothes (socks) becomes more problematical (cant put your laundry outside and the albergue heating may be off). Take extra socks!

You are likely to encounter ice or snow at higher elevations, but again listen to the locals advice. Sometimes you may be advised to take a road route. Walking poles or a staff is very helpful when it is icy for balance. It is possible you have to stay somewhere a day or so if there is a snowstorm, so it is worth planning that the camino will take longer than normal. But to be honest that is unlikely, but it is worth having a time buffer just in case.

Davey
Again, Davey, you are being incredibly helpful. Thankyou!

Today the weather has turned. Wet, windy and cold. A change from the last 2 weeks but something to expect in winter. Only to Triscastela so a shorter walk! @Katie, I willsend you an email.
Thankyou Frederick, I look forward to your advice. And those pictures look mighty cold! But what would a Camino be without some challenges?! Buen Camino!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I have done three winter caminos, and I disagree about "winging it"!! Albergues in the cities will be open, but all the others will be surprises, and it may not be a matter of walking a few more kilometers. None of the internet websites are accurate on closings. Many that are listed as being open all year simply are not. ;) Hospitaleros do not wait around for a scattering of pilgrims, so call ahead to see if they are open. You should plan your stops, then adjust those plans for open albergues. Hoteles and hostales, however, will mostly be open. I have found www.booking.com to be very useful. Don't expect heat, but if it is cold, ask. The response may be a grudging response that will result in a few hours of warmth. Even the most charitable of albergues will be reluctant to spend 20 Euro of energy for an 8 Euro bed fee. No one wants to lose money, which is why so many places will be closed. An operation does not break even on the winter crowds. You may be pretty much alone. I met only 12 fellow pilgrims in three weeks in January. It was fun, be be certain that you are self-contained enough to be comfortable with just yourself on the road and in the albergue. I wouldn't see the point of turning a joyous opportunity to be out walking into a depressing funk.:):)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have done three winter caminos, and I disagree about "winging it"!! Albergues in the cities will be open, but all the others will be surprises, and it may not be a matter of walking a few more kilometers. None of the internet websites are accurate on closings. Many that are listed as being open all year simply are not. ;) Hospitaleros do not wait around for a scattering of pilgrims, so call ahead to see if they are open. You should plan your stops, then adjust those plans for open albergues. Hoteles and hostales, however, will mostly be open. I have found www.booking.com to be very useful. Don't expect heat, but if it is cold, ask. The response may be a grudging response that will result in a few hours of warmth. Even the most charitable of albergues will be reluctant to spend 20 Euro of energy for an 8 Euro bed fee. No one wants to lose money, which is why so many places will be closed. An operation does not break even on the winter crowds. You may be pretty much alone. I met only 12 fellow pilgrims in three weeks in January. It was fun, be be certain that you are self-contained enough to be comfortable with just yourself on the road and in the albergue. I wouldn't see the point of turning a joyous opportunity to be out walking into a depressing funk.:):)

Absolutely, I have done so much planning and still have had surprises. No website or mobile app is 100% correct. So many of the planned albergues have been closed but luckily my backups have worked. Some days work as planned, others are improvised but good, proper planning always works best!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back