• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking poles and carpal tunnel

s. brown

Time of past OR future Camino
Le Puy 2015
I have never hiked before and want to do the Le Puy route June 1015. I went into REI in Atlanta a few days ago and took one of their walking poles out and held it and took a step or two. Almost immediately I began getting tingles in my wrist. I do have carpal tunnel and use forearm and wrist braces when I'm on the computer. This has alleviated all pain. I would rather not walk with the braces. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem with walking poles. Also, might Pacer Poles prevent this problem with carpal tunnel? Thanks.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have never hiked before and want to do the Le Puy route June 1015. I went into REI in Atlanta a few days ago and took one of their walking poles out and held it and took a step or two. Almost immediately I began getting tingles in my wrist. I do have carpal tunnel and use forearm and wrist braces when I'm on the computer. This has alleviated all pain. I would rather not walk with the braces. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem with walking poles. Also, might Pacer Poles prevent this problem with carpal tunnel? Thanks.

I haven't tried Pacer Poles but apparently they do hold your hand in the right position so could be the answer for you. If you already have a carpal tunnel problem with repetitive walking and swinging your arms rapidity you might like something on which to rest your hands.

Many people do not use any poles at all. Do not feel you must have them.

If there is a local walking group in your area perhaps you could contact them and see if you can borrow some different sticks to try?

I'm not sure if Pacer Poles are available along the Camino but pretty much everything else is.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I wear my wrist splint every night! Plan to again on the Camino Ingles in Oct

You could also try varying the length of the poles and alternating hand positions. I use 1 walking pole and am constantly moving my hand around on it. My only problem is tendonitis in the right elbow from too much manual labor when I was younger and dumber.
Have fun.

I walked the Frances last year and chose Pacer Poles as I also can have trouble with Carpal tunnel syndrome. The design of the Pacer grips is very natural the wrist stays straight at all times and there is no need to grip the poles tightly. I am a total Pacer convert having used conventional poles previously. They can only be purchased direct from Pacer Poles and Heather the designer is very helpful indeed. If you are not happy for any reason they will refund your purchase.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I walked the Frances last year and chose Pacer Poles as I also can have trouble with Carpal tunnel syndrome. The design of the Pacer grips is very natural the wrist stays straight at all times and there is no need to grip the poles tightly. I am a total Pacer convert having used conventional poles previously. They can only be purchased direct from Pacer Poles and Heather the designer is very helpful indeed. If you are not happy for any reason they will refund your purchase.
Thanks to you and Kanga. I believe I will want to get Pacer Poles. I keep reading of people trying to buy them off other pilgrims while they're on the camino! I should probably take my splints and braces with me as well.

You could also try varying the length of the poles and alternating hand positions. I use 1 walking pole and am constantly moving my hand around on it. My only problem is tendonitis in the right elbow from too much manual labor when I was younger and dumber.
Have fun.
Yeah, I have tennis elbow too. I might need to bring those braces as well. Some people say I look like a mummy when I'm in all my braces and splints.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hiya

I have cronic pain and limited mobility in my right wrist after a workplace accident 20 years ago.

I used PacerPoles. Ordered from the UK and arrived in NZ in under 10 days.

They were great. Minimal wrist pain.

But....they do expose your hand a bit more to the sun. I bought some leki walking gloves in Vanna and by golly that made a difference.

Heather (pacerpole creator) is also a fountain of knowledge and she will answer any concerns you may have.

I wear wrist splints at night to help with pain and to stop me contracting my wrists as I sleep.
Yes, I too wear my wrist splint at night. It works beautifully to prevent me from pointing my hand downward in an extreme position. I suspect I will have to lug all these things with me. Fortunately they don't weigh much.

I haven't tried Pacer Poles but apparently they do hold your hand in the right position so could be the answer for you. If you already have a carpal tunnel problem with repetitive walking and swinging your arms rapidity you might like something on which to rest your hands.

Many people do not use any poles at all. Do not feel you must have them.

If there is a local walking group in your area perhaps you could contact them and see if you can borrow some different sticks to try?

I'm not sure if Pacer Poles are available along the Camino but pretty much everything else is.
Thanks. I have just read about a "senior" hiking group in my area and I plan on joining. That might provide me with answers.

It is really great walking with seniors, exchanging ideas and sharing a lot of stuff especially with the health condition. It works with my grandma and no more boring days to her, she always have a great day to look forward.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have Leki and Pacerpolles. The Pacer poles are much better with my carpal tunnel syndrome.

I have Leki and Pacerpolles. The Pacer poles are much better with my carpal tunnel syndrome.
Thanks so much for this. Did you have to wear any kind of brace? Did you have to practice to get the correct form or were you to good to go right out of the gate?

I used Leki in 2009 and Pacer Poles in 2013. Though I don't have carpal tunnel, for me the Pacer's were so much better. Much less effort is involved to control them and the wrist is not so stressed. As others have said, they do expose the back of your hands to more sun, so be prepared with ample sunscreen or you could get sun sleeves that extend down your hand. IMAO that tradeoff is more than worth it.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I didn't use a brace (yet).
The web site for pacer poles has great videos and instructions on the correct use.
:)

I have a carpal tunnel problem in my left wrist, and holding a cellphone just a few minutes causes numbness. However, I used my Leki poles almost constantly for 10 km yesterday without a problem. I don't clench my fingers around the pole. Instead, I place the handle in the V between my thumb and forefinger, then simply use my other fingers to guide the pole while placing it. Once the tip is planted, the edge (heel) of my hand begins pushing down against the strap. The result is a rather relaxed, cupped hand position. Make sure you pick up the pole by inserting your hand up through the strap, not down into it, so the loop passes around the back of your hand with the ends coming up across the palm between your hand and the pole. You may have to adjust the size of the loop. Whichever pole you use, buen camino.
Bob

I have a carpal tunnel problem in my left wrist, and holding a cellphone just a few minutes causes numbness. However, I used my Leki poles almost constantly for 10 km yesterday without a problem. I don't clench my fingers around the pole. Instead, I place the handle in the V between my thumb and forefinger, then simply use my other fingers to guide the pole while placing it. Once the tip is planted, the edge (heel) of my hand begins pushing down against the strap. The result is a rather relaxed, cupped hand position. Make sure you pick up the pole by inserting your hand up through the strap, not down into it, so the loop passes around the back of your hand with the ends coming up across the palm between your hand and the pole. You may have to adjust the size of the loop. Whichever pole you use, buen camino.
Bob
Thanks so much for this info. It is very helpful.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

I am due to commence my Camino next Sunday, (Sarria to Santiago), but a month ago developed my first ever case of plantar fasciitis. I have consulted with a podiatrist and diligently performed the...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
I was walking the Via the la Plata. After about 10 days I developed first signs of a blister. I put a plaster on it. When arriving in Valdesalor I saw that the blister was "open" I am a diabetic...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...
Hi all, just a quickie. My friend is near Burgos and needs a chairopractor to give his back a click 😳 Apparently he has it done when home in Canada (it straightens the spine )but doesn't know if...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.