• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking the camino in mid March.

amanditawild

Time of past OR future Camino
None.
Hi. My name is Amanda. I live in Bogotá, Colombia. I am planning to walk the camino with my daughter in mid March (for a week or less because of time constraints). Is it crazy to do it in March? Any thoughts on where to start? We are both pretty fit. Thanks for any suggestions. Amanda

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You can comfortably walk from Sarria to Santiago de Compostela in 5 days. This website has helpful information on the route, accommodation, etc. All of the municipal albergues from Sarria to Santiago are open all year. It will be quiet at this time of year, but there will be other pilgrims walking from Sarria - this is the most popular starting point on the camino as you will walk over 100km thus qualifying you for the Compostela.

The weather in March can be very unpredictable. Not the best time of year to walk, but if you have no other choice, just go for it. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I started my first Camino March 9th, 2005, from Moissac in France so hit St Jean third week ... was snow up there over the pass and a bit dodgy to say the least but from Roncesvalles was gorgeous weather all the way - though two days of wet in Galicia (of course).

Went back the next year - or was it 07? to do first aid, with my camper, and it was heavy snow as far as Burgos!!
so it can be any sort of weather - usually early springlike and pleasant but you will need to check the long range forecasts.

I second the suggestion to do the final 118 km from Sarria to Santiago. At this time of year, this is one of the segments where most things will be open for business.

Usually, the Camino is in "off-season" mode until Easter. This year, Easter is on 21 April.

This is a comfortable 5 day walk. Plus, the distance qualifies you for a Compostela.

Be sure to bring rain gear, as it is rainy this time of year. Also, plan for MUD. I recommend ankle-high boot instead of shoes. but use whatever works best for you.

Hope this helps.

We are the same, starting in Sarria or Samos mid March because that’s when airfares were a bargain. I’ve looked into private albergues and many are not open yet, but there are options in Samos and Sarria and the major towns / Brierley stages. I will definitely check the long range forecast before finalizing my packing !Será una aventura! Buen Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have a list of preferred private albergues for Sarria to Santiago, I use for a group I take in October. Most are open in March but require pre-booking by email in March. Message me if you want a copy.

I have a list of preferred private albergues for Sarria to Santiago, I use for a group I take in October. Most are open in March but require pre-booking by email in March. Message me if you want a copy.
I would love that info, Mark. Please PM me.
Thanks. Hope to hear from you soon. BTW, I am going with my 21 year old daughter. Regards, Amanda

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like a copy!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
i'm heading off from Logrono on 12th March, into Santiago DC on April 4-8. I wish you both a safe and successful walk

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back