Walking the Camino July 4th

snugs06

Jun 6, 2016
Time of past OR future Camino
I will be walking the Camino 4 33 days from St Jean starting July 4th
Hello all, I am so excited to be a part of the Camino family! I will be starting in St. Jean on July 4th for and walking 33 days. I am wondering about weather. I am only bringing a light rain jacket and a lightweight travel sleeping back. The rest will be "summer" clothing. Will this be enough? Is anyone else walking during this time frame? Also, is it difficult to get from the airport to St. Jean? It looks like it's about an hour away and I have to take the train and then the bus. I don't know French (or Spanish), but have a translation app, so am hoping I can get by. Thanks for your help!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
C

Castilian

Hi snugs06! Welcome to the forum!

Also, is it difficult to get from the airport to St. Jean?

From what airport?

starting in St. Jean on July 4th

That means you'll arrive to Pamplona during S. Fermín festival so try to avoid Pamplona because it'll be overcrowded, prices will be exhorbitants and accommodation (almost) impossible to find.

Regarding weather... Average minimum temperatures would be something between 11ºC and 14ºC except in mountain areas where they'll probably would be lower than 10ºC. Whether this year would be an average one, a hot one or a cold one is unpredictable right now.

Reactions: Jo Jo
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

snugs06

Jun 6, 2016
I'm walking at the same time! I fly into Madrid on July 1, plan on spending a few days there, then taking the train/bus up to St. Jean. This is my first camino as well. See you on the trail!

Yay! That's great, hope to meet you! I was told there was a festival in Paplona. Have you heard this? I have not booked any hostels. Just wondering if you have heard any concern

snugs06

Jun 6, 2016
Hi snugs06! Welcome to the forum!

From what airport?

That means you'll arrive to Pamplona during S. Fermín festival so try to avoid Pamplona because it'll be overcrowded, prices will be exhorbitants and accommodation (almost) impossible to find.

Regarding weather... Average minimum temperatures would be something between 11ºC and 14ºC except in mountain areas where they'll probably would be lower than 10ºC. Whether this year would be an average one, a hot one or a cold one is unpredictable right now.

Thank you for your replies. I am coming from Biarritz airport. I have not booked any hostels along the way yet. Does anyone think I will not find a place to sleep?

Wandershot

CarolG
Jun 18, 2014
2014, 2019, 2022, 2023
I went later- started in August. I took a gore-tex jacket (among other things). I didn't rain much during my Camino, but I was glad to have the jacket when it did. My packing list is here:
http://wayfaringviews.com/camino-de-santiago-packing-list-women/

Pamplona is likely to be very crowded during the festival, so you may want to plan to stay just outside of town or pass through it. That said, I went at the busiest time of year and only had trouble finding lodging one night. Don't worry about the rest of your pilgrimage. Buen Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Camilla Dudley

Jun 6, 2016
Camino de francés (July 2016)
Yay! That's great, hope to meet you! I was told there was a festival in Paplona. Have you heard this? I have not booked any hostels. Just wondering if you have heard any concern

Yes, I've heard that too. I was planning on just not stopping in Pamplona, and finding a smaller town either before or after. I haven't booked any beds along the trail. I'm hoping I'll figure it out as I go.

Reactions: snugs06
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

snugs06

Jun 6, 2016
I went later- started in August. I took a gore-tex jacket (among other things). I didn't rain much during my Camino, but I was glad to have the jacket when it did. My packing list is here:

Pamplona is likely to be very crowded during the festival, so you may want to plan to stay just outside of town or pass through it. That said, I went at the busiest time of year and only had trouble finding lodging one night. Don't worry about the rest of your pilgrimage. Buen Camino
Thank you!!

Wildling

Apr 3, 2016
Sarria to Santiago 2013
St Jean to Santiago July 2016
hello @snugs06, I will be a day ahead of you, planning to start from SJPP on 3rd July, maybe our paths will cross along the way!

I am also planning on taking a light rain jacket and light weight sleeping bag but also a light fleece for a bit of extra warmth when needed.

Best of luck and buen Camino!

snugs06

Jun 6, 2016

This is wonderful! I wish. I had seen this list in the beginning, but I am happy to know that I am prepared because I have everything on the list :) thank you

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

snugs06

Jun 6, 2016
hello @snugs06, I will be a day ahead of you, planning to start from SJPP on 3rd July, maybe our paths will cross along the way!

I am also planning on taking a light rain jacket and light weight sleeping bag but also a light fleece for a bit of extra warmth when needed.

Best of luck and buen Camino!
I think I'll do the same! You as well, Buen Camino... That feels great to say!

Reactions: Wildling

Jo Jo

Apr 2, 2014
Eight routes; nine pilgrimages 2014-present
Walked almost the same time 2014. I just took a rain jacket for warmth and a sleeping bag liner. Only night I was cold was Roncevalles (no blankets). I would have been cold other nights but all the alburgues in those places provided blankets (I'm thinking especially of Foncebadon, and the area right after O'Cebreiro). NB: posts on the forum has indicated that some alburgues are eliminating blankets to combat bed bugs (I'm not sure which ones). I should mention my wife took a furry fleece and practically lived in it, not regretting the weight for a moment. So this sort of depends on how your personal temperature runs.

Were I to do it again in the summer, I'd probably take a poncho rather than a rain jacket/pants (which were heavier and too hot for walking in in the summer). The poncho can also be used as a light blanket (I'd also take a 3oz jacket like Patagonia's Houdini jacket to wear in the evenings). I'd also take an airline-size fleece blanket, carry it only as far as Roncevalles, then donate it.

Ditto what everyone above said about Pamplona during San Fermin.

YMMV, but I hope this helps,
Jo Jo

snugs06

Jun 6, 2016
Walked almost the same time 2014. I just took a rain jacket for warmth and a sleeping bag liner. Only night I was cold was Roncevalles (no blankets). I would have been cold other nights but all the alburgues in those places provided blankets (I'm thinking especially of Foncebadon, and the area right after O'Cebreiro). NB: posts on the forum has indicated that some alburgues are eliminating blankets to combat bed bugs (I'm not sure which ones). I should mention my wife took a furry fleece and practically lived in it, not regretting the weight for a moment. So this sort of depends on how your personal temperature runs.

Were I to do it again in the summer, I'd probably take a poncho rather than a rain jacket/pants (which were heavier and too hot for walking in in the summer). The poncho can also be used as a light blanket (I'd also take a 3oz jacket like Patagonia's Houdini jacket to wear in the evenings). I'd also take an airline-size fleece blanket, carry it only as far as Roncevalles, then donate it.

Ditto what everyone above said about Pamplona during San Fermin.

YMMV, but I hope this helps,
Jo Jo
Thanks so much!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Sarahlr

Jun 6, 2016
1st July 2016
I'll be starting my first Camino on 2nd July. I'm taking a light water proof jacket and a long sleeve, light merino for if it is cool. Wasn't palnning on a fleece as trying to keep weight down. Have a silk liner for sleeping.

PilgrimPillar

Rota Vicentina, fisherman’s trail, is sweet...
Dec 14, 2015
www.facebook.com
Please come with
suggestions….
Thx….!!
Jesus Y Maria does not do prebooking.....soooo central and my choice on very early arrival....

(((Regarding weather......all locals I've spoken to proclaimed this spring to bee a VERY unusual one....that means summer months could throw a screwball or two .....my concern is early heatwawes and drought.)))

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all , as in approaching the Camino from Sarria I didn’t find yet the basic equipment nor the alojamiento from sarria to santiago, I have booked just in Santiago some days but I’m becoming...
Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
I wasn't sure I was going to post "live from the Camino" for this Camino. I'm happy to do so on my solo Caminos, but when I am walking with family, my focus is a little elsewhere and I am mindful...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
@Monasp has just posted two tables of statistics from the SJPDP pilgrim office on their Facebook account. Numbers of different nationalities recorded so far this year: the USA being the largest...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.