• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

CF in July

Firstimer

Time of past OR future Camino
July CF
Hi all! I’m planning on walking my first Camino in July, am I crazy to walk in the summer time? How do people manage walking in the heat? Thanks for your help 🤩

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There is plenty of good generic advice about walking in hot conditions on the web. Here is one from Queensland, Australia, and another here from the (US) ABC. Search for 'walking in the heat' or some similar term in your favourite search engine.

In camino specific terms, avoiding the heat of the day often means starting pre-dawn and aiming to finish before the middle of the day. I prefer to start later and manage my hydration, pace and rest stops to compensate for the heat. I also walk regularly in the heat here in Australia during the summer, and make sure I am familiar with the signs of heat stress. It is important to know when to just stop, not for a few minutes but much longer, to give yourself the break you need.

Diet is also important, and perhaps more difficult to address in Spain and Portugal where bread and farinaceous dishes feature much more in the pilgrim menu that they do where I come from. I take care to buy fruit each day, including a banana. I normally do this at the end of the day so I can consume some when I have stopped for the day, and some the next day. I will carry an orange for a mid-morning snack, but don't normally carry soft fruits like bananas and stone fruits in my pack during the day.

I also carry rehydration tablets or sachets. and make these up at the end of my walk. If you are going to consider other supplements, I suggest consulting your GP about whether this is useful, what supplements might work to address any specific conditions you have, and whether there are known interactions with any of your other medications.

Last edited:
Hi all! I’m planning on walking my first Camino in July, am I crazy to walk in the summer time? How do people manage walking in the heat? Thanks for your help 🤩
the usual: up before dawn, stop walking by lunchtime or avoid walking between lunch and evening. keep hydrated. wear a hat. stop if you're not feeling well, no shame in that.

my first Camino was in august and we survived, and it was fun. it was also very hot.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
No, it's totally fun!
Fewer people (especially central european), dry wheather, a bit dust and wind and lots of heat.
But it can be rainy, too and some of the interim stops on the way aren't available while vacation time.
I was on the CF in 2019 during a heat wave (max. 38°C), but it was really doable and worth the effort.

I did my first camino last August, my suggestions are: Start walking not later than 6:00 (it will still be dark, you'll need a headlamp), wear a wide brim hat, stay hydrated and bring some electrolytes just in case. Stop whenever you feel the need, it's not a race.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I walked it in July & August 2 years ago - it was a spectacularly hot summer, going up to 42 degrees on some days. I was nervous about it at first, but soon learnt how to manage it.
I always left incredibly early so I was finished by midday. On the really scorching days, I had ‘rest days’ and walked around 10km. I absolutely loved it - as long as you’re an early riser, you’ll be fine. I had one day of rain from St Jean to Santiago.

In 2021 I started SJPP 20 June and continued to Santiago, then Muxia, then Finisterre by third week of July. Hottest day was arrival Finisterre when temp went over 90 degrees F. There were a few days in the upper 80's along the way, but most peaked in the 70's. A couple nights were downright chilly in the albergues. Seems there was a heat wave in June before I arrived, and after I Ieft, the Camino caught on fire. You never know.

Hmm, you’ve not said where you’re from so I can’t have any idea of what sort of summer time temperatures you’re used too. Coming from the UK I find July & August in Iberia far to hot for walking and the prospect of hanging about in some of the Camino villages from noon until bedtime in an attempt to dodge the heat stultifying.
YMMV

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I walked last year in July and August, depending on where I was and the temperature on the day it either wasn't an issue or common sense and carrying additional water got me through.

If you are walking the Camino Frances or the Portuguese then it is not like you are wilderness walking, there are lots of facilities and enough other people walking with you that you can discuss the next day's conditions and decide at the time what to do if any special requirements are needed.

On the other hand if you are walking a more remote Camino then you probably need to plan for weather extremes. Prior posts have some good suggestions.

Last edited:
I've walked on the Camino Frances in July twice. In general, I manage it with early starts (ideally by 6 am) and finishing early, before the heat of the day sets in. That worked for me in 2016 and last year, when the temperatures went into the low to mid-30s. I missed the real heat last summer by being in the mountains and Galicia, which the worst of the heat wave didn't hit.

In general, with an early start, plenty of fluids, and loose cool clothing, you should be fine. Some people like to carry a reflective hiking umbrella as a portable sunshade and report that it really makes a difference for them.

One advantage of a July Camino is that your laundry dries very quickly! :)

Last edited:
I did my first camino last August, my suggestions are: Start walking not later than 6:00 (it will still be dark, you'll need a headlamp), wear a wide brim hat, stay hydrated and bring some electrolytes just in case. Stop whenever you feel the need, it's not a race.
I tend to prefer to do without a headlamp when walking in the pre-dawn. Instead, I wait a few minutes outside before setting off to allow my eyes to adjust to the dark. I find I generally have enough vision this way and don't have the "tunnel vision" a headlamp can create. But to each their own.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I must say, my hat's off to those of you say you didn't mind walking in the summer heat on your Camino.
If I am not on a beach or at a pool to get refreshed, I detest walking in the heat and avoid it. I slow way down, feel zapped of energy, and end up miserable. In fact, I manage better and have my most energy to walk a bit faster when I border on being cold.

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back