Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking the Camino Primitivo as a 17 year old male

Gaetan De Waele

GaetanDW
Time of past OR future Camino
Planning: Camino Primitivo august 2015
Hello,

I'm a 17 year old male, a hiking enthousiast and an adventurous spirit. This september I'm starting uni, so I won't be able to make big plans for vacations in the next couple years. That is why I wanted to walk the Camino this year (this august).

However, I am still underage (almost 18 though). I would like to hike the Camino alone, and I was wondering if this was doable or strongly discouraged as a 17 year old. Will I run into trouble along the way because I am not 18 yet?

Ofcourse, my parents both support the idea of me walking the Camino and see it as once in a lifetime experience to do this just before I start uni. They say it will make me more mature in some ways.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Good for you for wanting to do this at your age, and for your parents to encourage you.

This topic was discussed a few months ago, so if you search the archives you will certainly find info.

Issues discussed was legal drinking age, but as well who would be responsable if a minor were to cause dammage to an albergue, etc. And who would make decisions in case of a medical emergency.

I do not think you can get in trouble just because you are a minor, in fact I never gave it a second thought, nor my parents, when travelled to Europe when I was your age.

You will have a wonderful time!
Lots of young people on the Camino.
Just please use common sense and don't get drunk and disorderly.
One of the worst nights I had was in an albergue with 4 drunk boys who laughed and carried on, keeping everyone up, and finished off the night by vomiting all over the bathrooms.
:eek::eek::eek::mad:

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Oh to be seventeen again... just to think of all those goof-ups I could repeat :p

Gaetan, welcome to the Forum and the Caminos. You are unlikely to run into trouble if you bring your enthusiasm and sense of adventure to the Camino. You might if you conduct yourself in ways that cause annoyance or distress to others but I sense that that is not the sort of behaviour that you would indulge in.

On the practical side - carry a laissez-passer from your parents stating that you are walking the Camino with their consent and support. Carry a mobile / handy / cell with their contact numbers prominently displayed as the screen-saver. Show respect to other pilgrims and expect it in return.

And though they might give you a bottle of wine with your supper (cena) no one will be offended if you don't drink it all ;)

Buen Camino joven amigo

You will have a wonderful time!
Lots of young people on the Camino.
Just please use common sense and don't get drunk and disorderly.
One of the worst nights I had was in an albergue with 4 drunk boys who laughed and carried on, keeping everyone up, and finished off the night by vomiting all over the bathrooms.
:eek::eek::eek::mad:

Of course, I know YOU would never do that :p

Go, and have a wonderful time!
Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello,

I'm a 17 year old male, a hiking enthousiast and an adventurous spirit. This september I'm starting uni, so I won't be able to make big plans for vacations in the next couple years. That is why I wanted to walk the Camino this year (this august).

However, I am still underage (almost 18 though). I would like to hike the Camino alone, and I was wondering if this was doable or strongly discouraged as a 17 year old. Will I run into trouble along the way because I am not 18 yet?

Ofcourse, my parents both support the idea of me walking the Camino and see it as once in a lifetime experience to do this just before I start uni. They say it will make me more mature in some ways.
my son is 16 and if he were to pick a place to have a solo adventure i would be relieved if he would chose to do the camino, if i may suggest something i would ask you to try to engage in chats with a mixture of ages and nationalitys as a couple of older pals will not only give you a chance to discuss some very varied and interesting topics but without bossing you i expect they would keep a friendly eye open for you.go and enjoy !

Hello,

Gaetan, no better time than before University. You will experience a world of learning I'm sure. I agree with one post; do make an effort to join those of all ages. I have four grown grandsons, and am quite partial to young people. I would certainly walk with you if I could. I think you'll find those on this forum are all 'ageless'. But everything in moderation, especially alcohol. How blessed you are to have parents who support you in this

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you so much all for the kind and encouraging words!
I don't think alcohol will be a problem and I will surely try to engage in conversation with a lot of different people. After all, I don't want to spend 2 weeks completely alone :)

A more practical question: I've seen posts about people needing to sleep outside because the albergues were full in July/Augsut. Will this be a problem on the Camino Primitivo this August? How can I avoid this? I don't know if phoning the albergues a couple of days prior to arriving is a good idea, because I don't know how much km's I will be able to walk everyday (I will need to experiment a bit with my capabilities, considering it's my first Camino)
Also: how much will the Albergues cost? I've seen the topic about where to stay in Oviedo, and it seems more expensive than I've thought, is this only an Oviedo/city thing, or can I expect these prices everywhere?

Thank you so much all for the kind and encouraging words!
I don't think alcohol will be a problem and I will surely try to engage in conversation with a lot of different people. After all, I don't want to spend 2 weeks completely alone :)

A more practical question: I've seen posts about people needing to sleep outside because the albergues were full in July/Augsut. Will this be a problem on the Camino Primitivo this August? How can I avoid this? I don't know if phoning the albergues a couple of days prior to arriving is a good idea, because I don't know how much km's I will be able to walk everyday (I will need to experiment a bit with my capabilities, considering it's my first Camino)
Also: how much will the Albergues cost? I've seen the topic about where to stay in Oviedo, and it seems more expensive than I've thought, is this only an Oviedo/city thing, or can I expect these prices everywhere?
Gaetan, perhaps your folks would gift you with a copy of John Brierley's Camino de Santiago guidebook. It has the trail laid out in detail, a lot of very useful information, including an idea of Albergue costs, etc. It's not cheap, but something I think would help you immensely, as will other members here help with numerous useful tips. I do wish you a Buen camino!

Gaetan, welcome to the forum and to the Camino. Whilst working in the pilgrim office I met two 12 year olds from Madrid. When I expressed surpise that their parents had allowed them to come on their own, one answered me and said "My mother said it would be safe on the Camino"
Have a wonderful time. Just do not ever work yourself the first few days. You will be full of energy and enthusiasm and want to keep walking but it is wise to be gentle with yourself the first few days.

Buen Camino,
Lydia

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Gaetan, perhaps your folks would gift you with a copy of John Brierley's Camino de Santiago guidebook. It has the trail laid out in detail, a lot of very useful information, including an idea of Albergue costs, etc. It's not cheap, but something I think would help you immensely, as will other members here help with numerous useful tips. I do wish you a Buen camino!
@movinmaggie , Brierly does not have a Primitivo guidebook, only
Frances, Portuguese and kdin/muxia.

Gaetan,

I walked the Primitivo from mid-may to early June and there were a few times when albergues filled up, but typicaly in the evening. Peiple who walked 30km plus amd arrived late vs those walking 20-25 were the ones sleeping outside. Ebrant walked a few weeks before and did end up with no bed here and there. I would recomend booking where you can, after all there are not so many options on thos route where you could want to walk an extra 5km to the next village just because. And do book where people love to stay like in Bodeyana, in Berducedo where many arrive super tired and late after the Hospitales route and arrive early in Borres.

Regarding cost, many albergues say they are donativos, but they "suggest" 10€ a night. For a bed I would plan on 10€, for later afternoon/evening meal, another 10€ for the "combinado" plis a drink.

Bar Lucia is Salas gives you a banana and small bocadilo(sandwhich) if you buy breakfast! In the same town, Restaurant Pachon offers a 7 course lunch meal for 7€, wine inclided! Eat up! What I did in this route is have breakfast and then 1 afternoon-evening meal around 5 pm. Saved me € on a 3rd meal that I did not miss. Carry nuts, chocolate, a chunk of chorizo for snacks.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by a moderator:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Gaetan,

I walked the Primitivo from mid-may to early June and there were a few times when albergues filled up, but typicaly in the evening. Peiple who walked 30km plus amd arrived late vs those walking 20-25 were the ones sleeping outside. Ebrant walked a few weeks before and did end up with no bed here and there. I would recomend booking where you can, after all there are not so many options on thos route where you could want to walk an extra 5km to the next village just because. And do book where people love to stay like in Bodeyana, in Berducedo where many arrive super tired and late after the Hospitales route and arrive early in Borres.

Regarding cost, many albergues say they are donativos, but they "suggest" 10€ a night. For a bed I would plan on 10€, for later afternoon/evening meal, another 10€ for the "combinado" plis a drink.

Bar Lucia is Salas gives you a banana and small bocadilo(sandwhich) if you buy breakfast! In the same town, Restaurant Pachon offers a 7 course lunch meal for 7€, wine inclided! Eat up! What I did in this route is have breakfast and then 1 afternoon-evening meal around 5 pm. Saved me € on a 3rd meal that I did not miss. Carry nuts, chocolate, a chunk of chorizo for snacks.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the detailed reply! I will definitely follow up your advice. Since I'm walking in August and not in May/June, I guess the Camino will be even more crowded. I will have trouble finding beds the first few days then, I'm not risking calling an albergue for a bed if I don't even know I'm gonna reach it that day.

Thanks for the reply, I already have printed the Liz Brandt guide from the forums here, and have bought the Cicerone book of The Northern Caminos :)

Thanks for the detailed reply! I will definitely follow up your advice. Since I'm walking in August and not in May/June, I guess the Camino will be even more crowded. I will have trouble finding beds the first few days then, I'm not risking calling an albergue for a bed if I don't even know I'm gonna reach it that day.

Thanks for the reply, I already have printed the Liz Brandt guide from the forums here, and have bought the Cicerone book of The Northern Caminos :)
Being a newbie myself Gaetan, I gave you wrong info. I do apologize. I didn't realize that Brierley did not publish a guide to this section, so I'm glad you found what you needed. I will mention you to my four grandsons as an example of courage, curiosity and the desire to go beyond your comfort zone. I know it will be an amazing experience for you. Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Being a newbie myself Gaetan, I gave you wrong info. I do apologize. I didn't realize that Brierley did not publish a guide to this section, so I'm glad you found what you needed. I will mention you to my four grandsons as an example of courage, curiosity and the desire to go beyond your comfort zone. I know it will be an amazing experience for you. Buen Camino
Beun Camino to you aswell! I am looking forward to the adventure I will meet

There is an app for the Camino Primitivo which I have found useful when walking alone where the route seemed unclear. It is by Wise Pilgrim. I met one 17-year-old travelling solo who seems to be enjoying himself. Spaniards seem keen to feed him up. One elderly lady fed him tea and plums from her garden and sang to him.

Most read last week in this forum

Thanks to those of you who have wished me Buen Camino pm! My plan was Salvador/Prim, but 1) cold feet because of a knee (old injury) and 2) would have to rush with no possibilty of short/rest...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back