Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A few more questions on Camino Primitivo

pixel

Time of past OR future Camino
May/June 2024
I will be walking Camino Primitivo this May (yay! ), and have a few questions for the people who walked it before.

I see people talking about bedbugs on other routes. As Primitivo is not as popular, I hope there is no bedbug. Has anyone seen or heard of bed bugs on Camino Primitivo? Should I pre-treat my sleeping bag and package?

Also, the stages from Oviedo to Lugo are mostly remote rural areas. Are credit cards accepted by most places? or mostly cash only?

Thanks! Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi, @pixel, Welcome to the forum!

I’ve gotten bitten by bedbugs on many different caminos, including the Primitivo. You can get bedbugs anywhere, from 5 star hotels to airplanes to albergues. Many forum members treat their bags ahead of time, that’s a personal choice.

Aside from the 15 kms on the Hospitales stage from Borres to Puerto de Palo, there is nothing I would call remote on the Primitivo. Credit cards are widely accepted in big towns. Berducedo might be a place where you will need cash, and I would always try to have 100 or 200 € in cash just in case, but I think you will be surprised at the numbers of places that take cards. Covid really changed things up in Spain, and the numbers of places using credit cards have increased dramatically.

Buen camino, you will love the Primitivo!

I treat my silk liner and the outside of my sleeping bag with permethrin just before I leave for a Camino. Some say this will not repell bedbugs just kill them later. People around me in albergues have been bitten (but not on the Primitivo) but I have not. Some say I may have been bitten but don’t react. I’m on the Camino Mozárabe right now. Wish me luck and Buen Camino to you.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi, @peregrina2000, thank you for your reply.
I remember reading your posts on different topics from older threads. As this is my first Camino, there is a lot to learn, and reading through the old posts from people like you is very informative. Thank you.

Many forum members treat their bags ahead of time, that’s a personal choice.
I am a bit concerned about treating my sleep bag and having to sleep in it for weeks, tend to take the chance. I wonder how many veterans on Camino treat their bags to prevent bedbugs, and if there are any side effects from the treatment.

At the same time, I just noticed there are some old threads on bedbugs, will check if there are any relevant posts.

Buen camino!

I don't deny the existence of bed bugs, but haven't had a single issue with them in seven Camino walks.
I don't spray my equipment with anything but I do take some care not to spread my gear all over the place at night.
I usually don't pre-book accommodations, as I prefer to look over the place first before laying my money down...and yes I've walked away from a few albergues due to a lack of perceived cleanliness.
Honestly, don't get too concerned with bed bugs.
Cash is still king on the Camino especially in smaller towns and villages, but credit cards are accepted in the larger centers. As most albergues are family businesses, I hate them to lose out to credit card fees.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I will be walking Camino Primitivo this May (yay! ), and have a few questions for the people who walked it before.

I see people talking about bedbugs on other routes. As Primitivo is not as popular, I hope there is no bedbug. Has anyone seen or heard of bed bugs on Camino Primitivo? Should I pre-treat my sleeping bag and package?

Also, the stages from Oviedo to Lugo are mostly remote rural areas. Are credit cards accepted by most places? or mostly cash only?

Thanks! Buen Camino!
Hello! I have walked the Primitivo twice with my husband (2019 & 2021) and have not encountered problems with bed bugs. Nonetheless, we treat our gear (backpack & silk cocoon) with permethrin two weeks before we start on the Camino. The blue plastic mattress covers in the albergues are a good sign of protection against bed bugs. Also, keep in mind that bedbugs can be found in hotels and airports and airplanes and subways. For this reason, I appreciate a good layer of protection with permethrin.

Most places accept credit cards, but it’s always good to have Euros on hand. We usually withdraw Euros in Oviedo. Sometimes the albergue are by donativo and I usually donate at least 20 euros per person. I like to be generous with the communities that support Pilgrims on the Camino. You can make reservations on booking, but remember these are small, family-business and I learned over the years, they appreciate when they can avoid the middleman, i, e booking. A text or phone call to make a reserve two or three days before is economically appreciated.

The Primitivo is a beautiful Camino to Santiago. Asturias is gorgeous and green and the people are gentil and generous. It’s not popular because of the lack of services between stages. I feel this is part of the joy of walking the Primitivo. I allow myself that grace that descends upon me from communing with Nature’s beauty and nothing like the Camino Primitivo to open a gateway to Peace.

I hope this response is helpful!

Buen Camino,
Nery Aurora Peregrina

Hi, @peregrina2000, thank you for your reply.
I remember reading your posts on different topics from older threads. As this is my first Camino, there is a lot to learn, and reading through the old posts from people like you is very informative. Thank you.

I am a bit concerned about treating my sleep bag and having to sleep in it for weeks, tend to take the chance. I wonder how many veterans on Camino treat their bags to prevent bedbugs, and if there are any side effects from the treatment.

At the same time, I just noticed there are some old threads on bedbugs, will check if there are any relevant posts.

Buen camino!
Hello! I have asthma and serious allergies to mold and dust. I have used Permethrin over the past ten years on the Camino on my backpack and bed liner with no issues.

All this said, everyone is different. If you have any doubts, do a test run with permethrin on your backpack. Please follow all instructions to avoid concerns with permethrin. Spray outdoors, keep gear outdoors until the spray dries. Use gloves and protect your nose, arms and legs. These are a few suggestions.

I hope this is helpful.

Buen Camino,
Nery Aurora Peregrina

Thanks! Buen Camino!
Bedbugs can be anywhere. I always pre-treat my sleeping bag and outside of my pack.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello! I have walked the Primitivo twice with my husband (2019 & 2021) and have not encountered problems with bed bugs. Nonetheless, we treat our gear (backpack & silk cocoon) with permethrin two weeks before we start on the Camino. The blue plastic mattress covers in the albergues are a good sign of protection against bed bugs. Also, keep in mind that bedbugs can be found in hotels and airports and airplanes and subways. For this reason, I appreciate a good layer of protection with permethrin.

Most places accept credit cards, but it’s always good to have Euros on hand. We usually withdraw Euros in Oviedo. Sometimes the albergue are by donativo and I usually donate at least 20 euros per person. I like to be generous with the communities that support Pilgrims on the Camino. You can make reservations on booking, but remember these are small, family-business and I learned over the years, they appreciate when they can avoid the middleman, i, e booking. A text or phone call to make a reserve two or three days before is economically appreciated.

The Primitivo is a beautiful Camino to Santiago. Asturias is gorgeous and green and the people are gentil and generous. It’s not popular because of the lack of services between stages. I feel this is part of the joy of walking the Primitivo. I allow myself that grace that descends upon me from communing with Nature’s beauty and nothing like the Camino Primitivo to open a gateway to Peace.

I hope this response is helpful!

Buen Camino,
Nery Aurora Peregrina

Hi @Nery Aurora, thanks for your message, for sure it is helpful.

After spending quite some time googling, I can't find any Permethrin product in Canada that is suitable for treating clothes. Long story short, this is what I find in the end "Permethrin is not approved for use on clothing in Canada. "
1709435106699.png

So I guess now I have no choice but to take the chance. At least I learned a few tricks from you and @Trekker One.

Buen Camino!

Attachments

• 1709435075929.png
    1709435075929.png
    16.1 KB · Views: 3
@pixel - if you do want to use permethrin I have read from other Canadians that it can be purchased, maybe at farm supply type stores. You do need to be careful to avoid contact with permethrin in liquid form, but it is considered safe when it is dry. Definitely keep animals away from it.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@pixel , I walked the Primitivo in July last year. I spent the grand sum total of 200 Euros in cash in those two weeks. I stayed in a mixture of accommodation : a simple hotel in Grado, the wonderful Bodenaya, the new Albergue Pascual, and a mixture of other Albergues along the way. Bodenaya & Pascual are donativos, so naturally cash. I think with the exception of the Xunta that I stayed in, everything else I paid with debit card. Cash may well be appreciated by some of the smaller family places, but it is no longer 'King' on camino.
I visited a good number of cafes. A few places had a minimum spend of 10 Euros. It can be high as 30 euros, however I only once came across that. Anything over 30 euros by law the business owner has to provide for alternative means of payment - however that can be something as crazy as a bank transfer, not really viable for you and I on Camino.
All of the supermarkets I shopped in happily accepted my card.

I questioned a very friendly cafe owner along the route, he actually said that he prefers card because it makes life a lot simpler for him at the end of the day. Minimises costs and paperwork; and minimal banking to do! (He does not pay his suppliers in cash).

A moderate proportion of the 200 euros cash I gave to other pilgrims for my share of a cafe or dinner bill so they could pay with card. Saved them having to go to an ATM for cash.

Bed bugs - zero issues. Frankly I'd be more concerned about them when visiting Paris! It's like everything:if it happens, it happens - but it's not particularly likely.

Whilst you haven't asked (as it's come up above) if I may be so bold my personal guide to my donativo is simply: pay what you can afford.

For me that means:
1)What I would pay for my nights accommodation elsewhere.(€10+)
2) what would I pay for my dinner and /or breakfast elsewhere. (Eg both: €20)
3) leave a little something extra for the next person who may be in need.

What you pay affects what tomorrows Pilgrim eats.

Last edited:

Thanks! Buen Camino!
I have walked this route twice in the Spring and Fall. I stayed in Albergues and did not encounter bed bugs. I treat my backpack and sleeping bag with premethrin.

Every place I stayed dealt in cash only. That said, hotels and probably hostels will take CC's.

The Primitivo is a well traveled route.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back