Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is it possible to walk the camino primitivo as a vegetarian?

igzel489

Time of past OR future Camino
end of august / beginning of september 2023
I have been a vegetarian (I don't eat meat nor fish) for almost 10 years and I would like to keep it that way. But I am going to walk the camino primitivo at the end of august/ beginning of september and thought that this might be a problem. Is there anyone that can help me on this matter? Is it possible? I know it wil probably not be easy but I just want to know if it would be impossible.
Thank you!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have been a vegetarian (I don't eat meat nor fish) for almost 10 years and I would like to keep it that way. But I am going to walk the camino primitivo at the end of august/ beginning of september and thought that this might be a problem. Is there anyone that can help me on this matter? Is it possible? I know it wil probably not be easy but I just want to know if it would be impossible.
Thank you!!
I’m certain there will be a veggie along shortly to confirm; but whilst I am not vegetarian; I often choose not to eat meat. Throughout Spain life has got much easier for veggies and in recent years vegans; even in more rural parts. You might want to pack a couple of protein options just in case, and watch out for tuna being used as a seasoning on ensalada mixta. I suspect you’ll be fine.

Vegetarianism is actually illegal in Spain but if you are discreet and prepared to cater for yourself occasionally you should be fine. 😉

As @henrythedog has said beware of tuna on salads, “sin atun” is useful, and beware of meat based stocks in dishes like lentillas and Caldo Gallego. Putting vegetarian into the forum search engine will lead you to a vast array of useful information. www.Gronze.com will provide information on which Albergue have kitchen facilities.

You may find the following useful:

Some useful phrases for Vegans and Vegetarians on the Camino:

Soy vegetariano.
Yo no como carne o pescado .
Jamon no es un vegetal.
Pollo no es un vegetal.
Percebes no son verduras.
Sólo una ensalada para mí.
Atun no es una planta de ensalada.
Voy a tener el plato de judias.
Chorizo no son judías .
Una botella de brandy por favor.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have been a vegetarian for more than 30 years and a pilgrim for more than 10. Yes you can. But prepare for boring meals and be creative with veggies you buy in the supermarket. And the 'sin atún' tip is important. A lot of Spaniards still don't understand the concept.

As a vegetarian for more than 40 years, I had the same trepidation when I hiked my Primitivo in 2018. (It sounds like chicken is an option for you?)
It was a bit tricky, but fun (using many of the phrases Tincatinker listed), as well as supplementing with vegan jerky on the trail. Perhaps in the five years since, veggie options have improved?

And the 'sin atún' tip is important. A lot of Spaniards still don't understand the concept.
Can confirm.

Of course forget the pilgrim menus. But with a menu del dia, it's often possible to get two first courses, instead of the (usually) meat based segundos.

The other thing that can work well in a small restaurant is to explain to to server what you can eat, and leave what you get up to the creativity of the chef. The first time I tried this (in Chantada on the Invierno) I got an amazing ensalada with walnuts and goat cheese and balsamic dressing followed by an omelet with pimentos de padron. Wow. That experience has sparked more of the same kind of requests. It usually works.
20190611_205050.jpg20190611_212815.jpg

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm not vegetarian, but one of my peregrinas that I walked the Primitivo was, and she didn't seem to have an issue.
One night I joined her and her friend that the albergue they were staying in in Salas, called Albergue El Tulipán, which had a vegan communal dinner that was really good!

This was the menu that night in mid June of this year

81yoy1qok5yx7_l.jpg

I'm not sure if the albergue has a new name now of if Albergue El Tulipán is the new name, because it's not listed on Gronze, but Wise Pilgrim shows this picture on the listing for El Tulipán, but the name says Albergue La Campa. Maybe @wisepilgrim knows.

Screenshot 2023-08-02 154437.png

I also chose the vegan option at Alojamiento Los Hospitales.

Walking with a pilgrimage group in Norfolk in the 1980s. Kind ladies in one village had made an evening meal for us - shepherd's pie for the carnivorous and something with chicken for the vegetarians.... :)
Reminds me of the quip in "My Big, Fat, Greek Wedding":

"What do you mean he's no eat meat?! [pause]. Is OK! I make lamb!"

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm not vegetarian, but one of my peregrinas that I walked the Primitivo was, and she didn't seem to have an issue.
One night I joined her and her friend that the albergue they were staying in in Salas, called Albergue El Tulipán, which had a vegan communal dinner that was really good!

This was the menu that night in mid June of this year

View attachment 153874

I'm not sure if the albergue has a new name now of if Albergue El Tulipán is the new name, because it's not listed on Gronze, but Wise Pilgrim shows this picture on the listing for El Tulipán, but the name says Albergue La Campa. Maybe @wisepilgrim knows.

View attachment 153876

I also chose the vegan option at Alojamiento Los Hospitales.
Wow. That looks *really* good. And I can say from experience that Casa Sueno in Salas makes vegetarian options that are very good. Walked the Primitivo last year with vegetarian friend (though she is more flexible now for metabolic reasons than when we were young).

As a vegetarian for more than 40 years, I had the same trepidation when I hiked my Primitivo in 2018. (It sounds like chicken is an option for you?)
It was a bit tricky, but fun (using many of the phrases Tincatinker listed), as well as supplementing with vegan jerky on the trail. Perhaps in the five years since, veggie options have improved?
Haha ! Chicken is meat !

Walking with a pilgrimage group in Norfolk in the 1980s. Kind ladies in one village had made an evening meal for us - shepherd's pie for the carnivorous and something with chicken for the vegetarians.... :)
Also a 30+ year vegetarian here (though, more pescatarian now - but I've tried all the varieties of vegetarianism and veganism.) As a teenager I sailed on a ship with a Polish chef - whose method for dealing with the two vegetarians on board was to just hide the meat within the dish... He always seemed quite pleased with himself! ;)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I had no problems last year, and never found the food to be repetitive. I ate the typical peregrino mixture of albergue meals, restaurants, cafes, shops and market stalls (if you're lucky enough to be passing through Grado on market day you're in for a treat).

Thank you!!
I needed a laugh, and reading some of the replies, I got just what I needed. Please understand, not connected to your post, but to some of the replies. You can see in above responses you will not have a problem.
Other vegetarians will echo your concern, and their experience will help you.

I walked the Primitivo in 2016 with a german woman who was vegan. In restaurants this concept was many times not understood, she had to explain that she did not eat eggs, cheese and so on. Regularly she was served with macaroni with tomatosauce ( sometimes out of the bottle) many times she made her own meals or choose for bread. As a vegetaria you will have more options of cause

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you!!
Hi - Vegetarian here. It’s totally doable but Primitivo definitely is not a culinary highlight for vegetarians (even for non-vegetarians).
I made sure to carry a little food with me that would cover me for a night when options were limited. and I started to snack on some green cabbage plants that sometimes were growing outside the private gardens as well ;) I really was missing fresh food. and of course you can prepare your own meals in albergues, too. that is especially useful as vegetarian. hope that helps.

Thank you!!
My favourite snack became a banana squashed into a halved baguette.Easy,peesy and full of energy.

Can confirm.

Of course forget the pilgrim menus. But with a menu del dia, it's often possible to get two first courses, instead of the (usually) meat based segundos.

The other thing that can work well in a small restaurant is to explain to to server what you can eat, and leave what you get up to the creativity of the chef. The first time I tried this (in Chantada on the Invierno) I got an amazing ensalada with walnuts and goat cheese and balsamic dressing followed by an omelet with pimentos de padron. Wow. That experience has sparked more of the same kind of requests. It usually works.
View attachment 153872View attachment 153873
Wow,you did well there,and well done for asking

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Vegetarianism is actually illegal in Spain but if you are discreet and prepared to cater for yourself occasionally you should be fine. 😉

As @henrythedog has said beware of tuna on salads, “sin atun” is useful, and beware of meat based stocks in dishes like lentillas and Caldo Gallego. Putting vegetarian into the forum search engine will lead you to a vast array of useful information. www.Gronze.com will provide information on which Albergue have kitchen facilities.

Soy vegetariano.
Jamon no es un vegetal.
Pollo no es un vegetal.
Chorizo no son judías .
I was walking with a German vegetarian on Camino del Norte. She abandoned her Camino due to being unable to get enough food that fit her vegetarianism. She was weak and losing too much weight. There may be others with varying experiences.

I'm an omnivore, but the absolute best meal I had on the camino was lunch at Gaia Restaurant, in Burgos. The only problem is the very limited hours they are open:
Gaia
Thursday1:30–4 PM
Friday1:30–4 PM
SaturdayClosed
SundayClosed
Monday9 AM–5 PM
Tuesday1:30–4 PM
Wednesday1:30–4 PM

On the Primitivo there's is a lovely relatively new donativo Albergue called La Roca Madre just before Cornellana, evening meal is vegetarian - lovely food, featuring as much of their home grown vegetables (when the wild pigs haven't gotten to it first!!). It's a lovely place to stay so would recommend to anyone but especially if vegetarian. Buen camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you!!
I did Primitivo last year, and although I eat fish, I was able to do a lot of vegetarian meals. I HIGHLY recommend stopping for the first night in Palatin at Villa Palatino. The vegetarian dinner I had was incredible (avocado stuffed with incredibly seasoned cooked vegetables). Be prepared to eat a lot of tortilla con papas and bocadillos con queso y tomate!

I also recommend La Roca for the second night! They were awesome!

I was walking with a German vegetarian on Camino del Norte. She abandoned her Camino due to being unable to get enough food that fit her vegetarianism. She was weak and losing too much weight. There may be others with varying experiences.
That surprises me. Despite my attempt at humour above following a healthy vegetarian diet in Spain is not that difficult. In cafes and bars simple dishes such as Tortilla de patatas and Tortilla Francesca are readily available as are Garbanzos con Espinacas, Queso con Miel, Pan amb Tomaquet, Pimientos Estafados, the ubiquitous Patatas Bravos and many more. Tiendas and supermercados sell various beans in tins and jars, the freezer cabinet will hold arroz con verduras y legumebres, and there will be a variety of cheeses, fresh eggs and fresh vegetables even Tofu. No-one seems to mind if you buy one onion, one carrot, one pepper or whatever so you can cook up your own meal but there is plenty of "ready-made" food available. Proteins, carbohydrates, vitamins and pleasure all available.

OK, in the places that cater mainly for pilgrims with the dreadful "menu peregrino" choice may be limited, even non-existent, but a little effort overcomes most obstacles.

Last edited:
As a vegetarian for 50 years, now vegan, I prefer to buy my own ingredients, cook them in an albergue kitchen — if there is one — or eat them raw. Bear in mind that any pans you use, or the chef uses, will most likely have been used for meat dishes. If you’re not ultra-strict, this may not trouble you. Either way, you won’t starve.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have been a vegetarian for more than 30 years and a pilgrim for more than 10. Yes you can. But prepare for boring meals and be creative with veggies you buy in the supermarket. And the 'sin atún' tip is important. A lot of Spaniards still don't understand the concept.
Was like that when I first moved to France. Sans viande, but little squares of lardon (bacon cubes) would arrive in omelettes and when quried, I was told that lardon was not meat ????? I have to say that it is better now (so is my french 🤣🤣)

Two Albergues with communal meals that will definitely cater for you are Bodenaya (Alison and Alberto - Day 2 for me) and the new Casa Pascal, El Espin (Silvia) Day 3 ( immediately before the Hospitales). Both are Donativos ( PLEASE be generous!)
Alison and Alberto are fantastic hosts, Silvia too- a real character.
Both had only been open for 5 or 6 days when I stayed there Mid July. Should I do this route again tomorrow, these are the two places on the whole Camino I would a/ NOT MISS and b/ probably book, depending on the season. Not because of the location, or the accommodation, purely because of the Host’s. (The food was great too!).

I think as a vegetarian it' no harder than those with food allergies, a vegan, that would be somewhat harder. As mentioned the Spanish barely understand the concept of vegetarianism. Well I suspect anyone born after 2000 probably does more, but the older people, probably not so much.

Depending on how strict a vegetarian you are (or if you are a vegetarian due to medical issues) at the simplest end you could cook your own food. That removes almost all possibility of cross contamination. If it's vegetarianism as choice and not by necessity then, the cafes and restaurants and general advice of the others should tide you over. As much as people say you don't need to cook your own food, you can, it's your camino, your life, your body and you walk it your way. ;)

Buen Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
That is a bit harsh to say the Spanish barely understand the concept of vegetarianism.
In my innocence, why would it not be possible? A card with pictures of either what is or what is not permitted , as in the splendiferous menu cards, should get the message across...

edit: please, I do not mean to insult you, but I know some of our Spanish brethren are not unaware of vegetarianism.

Last edited:
In much the same way they barely understand food allergies and how they can kill people. It's getting better, but in major cities you probably won't have an issue, but in some village in the mountains, if you start asking for vegetarian food, probably from someone who falls in the older person category, they are more likely to have no clue what you actually mean.

But I do think your idea of using picture cards, possibly with no/si on them, maybe one that shows meat and fish with a big "no" on it and another with a picture of vegetables with a big "si" on it, is a pretty good one and it removes all possibility of the person misunderstanding, especially if you added intolerancia (spelling?) to the no one. Laminate two cards with those two pictures. Show picture cards to restaurant and eat.

I do not mean to insult you, but I know some of our Spanish brethren are not unaware of vegetarianism.
While vegetarians may be less common in Spain then in other parts of the world I would think that the majority of Spaniards understand vegetarianism, and it is pretty insulting to say that an entire country does not.
In much the same way they barely understand food allergies and how they can kill people
I doubt that is more of a problem in Spain than most other countries.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
doubt that is more of a problem in Spain than most other countries.
Whilst I agree with your other comment, I have to disagree with you on this. Just got back from the Primitivo, it was NOT easy to find good vegetarian options in some areas. Especially standard pilgrim stopping points.
Even a basic salad was beyond some establishments - somewhat limiting when they are the only place around! Is it doable? Definitely. Easy - no.
I'm living in Germany - it's really easy here. Czechia - ditto . Last year in Norway - super easy. My son is currently in England - ditto.
Mind you, to be fair, these examples aren't exactly standard pilgrim stopping points either...

In much the same way they barely understand food allergies and how they can kill people. It's getting better, but in major cities you probably won't have an issue, but in some village in the mountains, if you start asking for vegetarian food, probably from someone who falls in the older person category, they are more likely to have no clue what you actually mean.

But I do think your idea of using picture cards, possibly with no/si on them, maybe one that shows meat and fish with a big "no" on it and another with a picture of vegetables with a big "si" on it, is a pretty good one and it removes all possibility of the person misunderstanding, especially if you added intolerancia (spelling?) to the no one. Laminate two cards with those two pictures. Show picture cards to restaurant and eat.
I agree on the cards. We made them up for my Mum as she had a severe allergic reaction to Tomatoes. Not ideal when travelling around the Mediterranean. Worked very well, 2 incidents in 20 years of travels.

I am fairly new to the Vegetarian Club, 2 years, and just starting to learn Spanish so communicating being an issue I expect to be using the kitchen facilities in the Albergue's more often than not.

I don't mean to offend anyone, but some of the misspellings of Spanish food I've seen in this thread are hilarious 😂
Contact lenses? (lentillas)
Scammed peppers? (pimientos estafados)
Fantastic!

On the issue of finding vegetarian food, what others have said:
- tuna, ham and similars don't register as fish or meat for some people, so make sure you specify you want your salad "sin atún" or "sin" any other ingredient.
- a "bocadillo/sandwich vegetal" is NOT a vegetarian sandwich. It usually has ham or tuna. So, again, make sure you specify you want something with just the vegetables and not the ham/tuna.
- 1st course in "menú del día" is more likely to include vegetarian options. It's OK to ask if you can have 2 1st courses instead of a 1st and a 2nd. For dessert, ask if they have any fruit, even if it's not listed.
- some dishes can be easily altered to make them vegetarian. Don't be afraid to ask. Most places will be happy to accommodate you.

For some more tips and Spanish, check this blog post.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Whilst I agree with your other comment, I have to disagree with you on this. Just got back from the Primitivo, it was NOT easy to find good vegetarian options in some areas. Especially standard pilgrim stopping points.
My comment that you disagreed with was about the awareness of the danger of food allergies, not the availability of vegetarian food. There are people in all countries who are unaware of food allergies and their effects.

I would agree that vegetarian and vegan food is harder to find in rural Spain than in many countries, but I disagree with the idea that Spaniards are more ignorant of what vegetarianism and veganism are than citizens of other countries - it's just not as common place as in other countries.

It's also harder to get cuisines other than Spanish in all but the large cities, but that must come down to the dining preferences of the citizenry, not the lack of awareness that other cuisines exist.

Can confirm.

View attachment 153872View attachment 153873
Yum! I am not vegetarian, but love veggies and unique salads. I would order both of these dishes in a heartbeat! 😋

My comment that you disagreed with was about the awareness of the danger of food allergies, not the availability of vegetarian food. There are people in all countries who are unaware of food allergies and their effects.

I would agree that vegetarian and vegan food is harder to find in rural Spain than in many countries, but I disagree with the idea that Spaniards are more ignorant of what vegetarianism and veganism are than citizens of other countries - it's just not as common place as in other countries.

It's also harder to get cuisines other than Spanish in all but the large cities, but that must come down to the dining preferences of the citizenry, not the lack of awareness that other cuisines exist.
Sorry, you're right - I didn't read that carefully enough

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I've walked the Primitivo twice as a vegan and am still alive to tell the tale☺️. It helps that I'm not a big eater nor a foodie. I'm content with bringing nuts and fruit and eating what I can. I may loose a couple of kilos when walking but that's always welcome😉.

Besides the albergue in Bodenaya which others have mentioned, also stay with Javi in Samblismo (after Borres on the Hospitales route). He is a great cook and cooks vegetarian/vegan just mention this when you reserve.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you!!
I have done the total Primitivo three times and never had any problems to be a vegetarian. Lovely food and you have a lot dishes to chose. In some small villages they were doing their best to serve a good meel from whatever they have in the kitchen. Good Luck

I am a vegetarian.
I walked Primitivo in July. (I also walked French way last year).
Yes it is possible- I did find in general less places to buy food/ sometimes only 1 stop in the day on the Primitivo and so planning is helpful for everyone who walks.
Rule #1
Learn how to say Vegetarian in Spanish (I had to practice) and I always added no carne and it was clear. Know also Pollo- chicken, Jamon- ham, Pescado-fish, It helps to read a menu. You can also download the google translate app and take pictures of menus and it will translate the printed menu

General options: You can find food, but it can be bland and not often more than one vegetarian choice. It helped me to grow in gratitude for our food even more so- always eat as you need the nourishment.

Breakfast is often toast and tea-or a croissant - maybe cheese and fruit also. Sometimes egg.
"Tortilla" which is an egg/potato casserole available at most places all day- I got so sick of it (literally)
Bocadillo- is a sandwich on thick hard bread-ask for a no carne bordillo usually you get cheese + tomato
MANY places have lentil soup or veggie soup. It is not always on the menu so as our Spanish friends say- you need to ask. Make sure toast if the soup is vegetarian/no carne (sometimes they add ham).
Mixed Salad: ask for no tuna- it is usually lettuce/ tomato/ onion with vinaigrette. If there is a grocer nearby, buy chickpeas/garbanzo beans ahead of time to add onto it at the bar/restaurant. (the jar is a little heavy to carry around, but worth it- available in most small grocery stores)
Cheese pizza is offered a fair number of places
Occasionally the Primitivo offered pasta - was not the best- do not expect it often
Patatas-French fry- often with mayo sauce- this can be filling when the menu has nothing else to offer -
Some places have veggie burgers and they were good along the Primitivo when offered
Veggie Jambalaya
The further you walk, the more often Spanish omelets are offered and were eggcellent- sometimes they list as an omelet and its really a tortilla so ask if you prefer one over the other as I do
Once you merge at Melide-(last few days) you have more food options- don't get too excited though ha ha

Vending machines along the way will have chips and candy bars- not ideal I know, but it takes off the edge when searching for food after walking so many miles - NOTE: Spain has Jamon potato chips- their chips are even meat flavored!!!! ahhhhhh!!

Here are some tips:
1) pack some granola bars in your bag to take with you from home We took some Belvita crackers- relatively light to carry- You cannot buy many granola bars so this was good for me
2) Always stop for fruit/nuts to have some in your bag. If you see the store or stand/ stop- make sure to have some fruit always with you- a few pieces each day
3) A fresh avocado/tomato, bread and cheese makes for a nice lunch to carry with you. We bought a small pizza slicer at the local grocer as our knife when we didn't see a knife for purchase.
4) You can go to the town market quite a bit- then cook in the hostel- we did not do this but saw others
5) Spanish friends on the Camino really helped me to order often
6) Be willing to tell fellow Camino friends that you want to read menus at other places (they are usually posted) before settling on a place with no option for you- some places have nothing so keep checking because I was always able to find something

Specific Places I recall as being pretty good:
Oviedo: Soho Boutique - breakfast- good option with eggs
Oviedo- sandwich shop- face pilgrim office- to the left around corner made me very good sandwich
On way to Grado We stopped at one bar in Faberin and stuck our feet in the river hammocks (snacks)
Albergue La Qvintana- Grado- dinner and breakfast was vegetarian
not much along way to Salas but has lots of good options for lunch in Cornellana (have a snack packed)
La Figal de Xugabolos- Salas a favorite place to stay with vegetarian dinner and breakfast option
Town of Salas has great fruit market- buy some there- not much to eat that day at all- note most Spanish stores you point to the fruit and they bag it for you (don't self bag usually)
Hotel Palacio de Meras- Tineo-This restaurant was a little pricier- but food was some of the best I ate- good vegetarian burger and tempura veggie appetizer
Tineo-has nice little grocery stores in the morning- make sure to stock up for a couple days
Casa Herminia in El Campiello- BEST vegetarian lunch on Primitivo- (bean soup dish) GET some food packed for next two days hiking
Borres- only bar in town's pilgrim dinner menu is vegetarian (Only one bar there) (no store was open)
Pack food for Hospitals route - nothing along the way
La Mesa area- nothing amazing for vegetarians, but options available
You need snacks for the day- before Grandas Salime (right after the dam) Vistalegre good place to stop
Grandas Salime- best option seemed to be burger place near church- vegetarian burger was great and they were open early for basic breakfast
Grandas Salime also has a cool market store with nuts and fruit and snacks- stock up
Not much to eat along the way- but "fancy" restaurant in Barbeitos had vegetarian appetizers- including one with goat cheese on toast that was amazing
A Fonsagrada- at the very edge of town past the gas station on way out on Camino is a good pizza place
Stock up on snacks-pack lunch not much along the way was open the next day on way to Baleira!! Grocery store open in town Baleira
Castroverde has options so pack snacks/ food from grocery
Great pop-up stand on way to Lugo for a snack
Lugo many places to eat- heard the Thai place was good
Pack snacks/lunch - not much even for dinner after Lugo/ a vending machine/ Albergue off the road/
Frio- amazing smoothies and vegetarian options in the Albergue
After Melide: Boente de Abaixo- good options to eat
Arzua and beyond- lots of options
O Pedrauzzo- few good options- Loved A Catrina Mexican- they will make anything vegetarian- little pricier but good to have a burrito!
Santiago- plenty of places....but I'll admit- I did eat the vegetarian "chicken" sandwich from Burger King ha ha and I went back for it again the next year

Buen Camino!!

Last edited:
My wife and I have completed four Caminos and we are 100% vegan. We are on the Camino Le Puy right now actually. 80% of the time we eat in the room. We buy our own veggies and noodles and such and we have a collapsible kettle. For lunch on the road, Heinz beans in a can with bread and fruits. You can’t go wrong.
Great job being Vegan and on the Camino! :) Buen Camino!!

Breakfast is often toast and tea-or a croissant - maybe cheese and fruit also. Sometimes egg.
"Tortilla" which is an egg/potato casserole available at most places all day- I got so sick of it (literally)

Another common breakfast of possible interest to vegetarian (or even vegan) pilgrims is "tostada con tomate": tomato on toast, generally served with olive oil and salt to drizzle/sprinkle on it.

Mixed Salad: ask for no tuna- it is usually lettuce/ tomato/ onion with vinaigrette. If there is a grocer nearby, buy chickpeas/garbanzo beans ahead of time to add onto it at the bar/restaurant. (the jar is a little heavy to carry around, but worth it- available in most small grocery stores)
Those vegetarians who don't eat eggs will also want to ask "sin huevos" (without eggs) as often hard boiled eggs are also part of a mixed salad.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am a vegetarian.
I walked Primitivo in July. (I also walked French way last year).
Yes it is possible- I did find in general less places to buy food/ sometimes only 1 stop in the day on the Primitivo and so planning is helpful for everyone who walks.
Rule #1
Learn how to say Vegetarian in Spanish (I had to practice) and I always added no carne and it was clear. Know also Pollo- chicken, Jamon- ham, Pescado-fish, It helps to read a menu. You can also download the google translate app and take pictures of menus and it will translate the printed menu

General options: You can find food, but it can be bland and not often more than one vegetarian choice. It helped me to grow in gratitude for our food even more so- always eat as you need the nourishment.

Bocadillo- is a sandwich on thick hard bread-ask for a no carne bordillo usually you get cheese + tomato
MANY places have lentil soup or veggie soup. It is not always on the menu so as our Spanish friends say- you need to ask. Make sure toast if the soup is vegetarian/no carne (sometimes they add ham).
Cheese pizza is offered a fair number of places
Occasionally the Primitivo offered pasta - was not the best- do not expect it often
Patatas-French fry- often with mayo sauce- this can be filling when the menu has nothing else to offer -
Some places have veggie burgers and they were good along the Primitivo when offered
Veggie Jambalaya
The further you walk, the more often Spanish omelets are offered and were eggcellent- sometimes they list as an omelet and its really a tortilla so ask if you prefer one over the other as I do
Once you merge at Melide-(last few days) you have more food options- don't get too excited though ha ha

Vending machines along the way will have chips and candy bars- not ideal I know, but it takes off the edge when searching for food after walking so many miles - NOTE: Spain has Jamon potato chips- their chips are even meat flavored!!!! ahhhhhh!!

Here are some tips:
1) pack some granola bars in your bag to take with you from home We took some Belvita crackers- relatively light to carry- You cannot buy many granola bars so this was good for me
2) Always stop for fruit/nuts to have some in your bag. If you see the store or stand/ stop- make sure to have some fruit always with you- a few pieces each day
3) A fresh avocado/tomato, bread and cheese makes for a nice lunch to carry with you. We bought a small pizza slicer at the local grocer as our knife when we didn't see a knife for purchase.
4) You can go to the town market quite a bit- then cook in the hostel- we did not do this but saw others
5) Spanish friends on the Camino really helped me to order often
6) Be willing to tell fellow Camino friends that you want to read menus at other places (they are usually posted) before settling on a place with no option for you- some places have nothing so keep checking because I was always able to find something

Specific Places I recall as being pretty good:
Oviedo: Soho Boutique - breakfast- good option with eggs
Oviedo- sandwich shop- face pilgrim office- to the left around corner made me very good sandwich
On way to Grado We stopped at one bar in Faberin and stuck our feet in the river hammocks (snacks)
Albergue La Qvintana- Grado- dinner and breakfast was vegetarian
not much along way to Salas but has lots of good options for lunch in Cornellana (have a snack packed)
La Figal de Xugabolos- Salas a favorite place to stay with vegetarian dinner and breakfast option
Town of Salas has great fruit market- buy some there- not much to eat that day at all- note most Spanish stores you point to the fruit and they bag it for you (don't self bag usually)
Hotel Palacio de Meras- Tineo-This restaurant was a little pricier- but food was some of the best I ate- good vegetarian burger and tempura veggie appetizer
Tineo-has nice little grocery stores in the morning- make sure to stock up for a couple days
Casa Herminia in El Campiello- BEST vegetarian lunch on Primitivo- (bean soup dish) GET some food packed for next two days hiking
Borres- only bar in town's pilgrim dinner menu is vegetarian (Only one bar there) (no store was open)
Pack food for Hospitals route - nothing along the way
La Mesa area- nothing amazing for vegetarians, but options available
You need snacks for the day- before Grandas Salime (right after the dam) Vistalegre good place to stop
Grandas Salime- best option seemed to be burger place near church- vegetarian burger was great and they were open early for basic breakfast
Grandas Salime also has a cool market store with nuts and fruit and snacks- stock up
Not much to eat along the way- but "fancy" restaurant in Barbeitos had vegetarian appetizers- including one with goat cheese on toast that was amazing
A Fonsagrada- at the very edge of town past the gas station on way out on Camino is a good pizza place
Stock up on snacks-pack lunch not much along the way was open the next day on way to Baleira!! Grocery store open in town Baleira
Castroverde has options so pack snacks/ food from grocery
Great pop-up stand on way to Lugo for a snack
Lugo many places to eat- heard the Thai place was good
Pack snacks/lunch - not much even for dinner after Lugo/ a vending machine/ Albergue off the road/
Frio- amazing smoothies and vegetarian options in the Albergue
After Melide: Boente de Abaixo- good options to eat
Arzua and beyond- lots of options
O Pedrauzzo- few good options- Loved A Catrina Mexican- they will make anything vegetarian- little pricier but good to have a burrito!
Santiago- plenty of places....but I'll admit- I did eat the vegetarian "chicken" sandwich from Burger King ha ha and I went back for it again the next year

Buen Camino!!
Thank you, some great advice and tips here. Much appreciated.

Soy vegetariano.
Jamon no es un vegetal.
Pollo no es un vegetal.
Chorizo no son judías .
Vegetarianism is illegal in Spain? Since when? I go to Spain every year, Granada, Madrid, Malaga and there are plenty of vegetarian restaurants. If you ever go to Granada try Restaurante Hicuri, excellent vegetarian and vegan dishes!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Vegetarianism is illegal in Spain? Since when? I go to Spain every year, Granada, Madrid, Malaga and there are plenty of vegetarian restaurants. If you ever go to Granada try Restaurante Hicuri, excellent vegetarian and vegan dishes!
You missed the 😉 that indicated this was a joke.

I guess I had kind of hoped that the ";)" in my post was sufficient to convey the irony in my remarks.

I guess you are referring to https://www.restaurantehicuriartvegan.com/ with which I am very familiar. It's not my favourite restaurant in Granada but we pop in on most visits as The Beloved prefers to eat stuff that doesn't have a face. I just wish they'd do something with their wine list.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I too refuse to eat anything with a face. There has been lots of helpful advice in this thread, and I don't have much to add, other than be sure to embrace picnics. Some of my fav evenings on numerous caminos have involved a stick of bread, local cheese, tomatoes (so good in Spain), olives, and a bottle of wine. Hopefully you and those who join you will find a scenic spot for your meal. One of my fav experiences involved a nap on a hillside (after wine consumed), and waking at sunset surrounded by goats being herded to the barn for the evening.

I must say I happened upon this just now as if new... some things are hilarious, eg chicken for vegetarians. I see I contributed at some point. I thank my God for a poor memory. 😈
I do realise it is serious, and wish the best for those who are vegetarian and also vegan. Necessity is indeed the mother of invention. I love butter. Salt free. Does that count🤔?

The albergue at Samblismo (just past Hospitales/Pola de Allande split) served a delicious vegetarian paella for the communal dinner when I stayed there a few months ago. I’m not sure if the meals are always vegetarian, but it’s worth checking them out. Buen camino!

"What do you mean he's no eat meat?! [pause]. Is OK! I make lamb!"

some things are hilarious, eg chicken for vegetarians.
For those who don't know much about cultures who use non-English languages it is interesting to learn what is meant by their translations of "meat", or sometimes red-meat. As well as those quotes, jamon in Spanish is another example,

Precision in language becomes important if you want to communicate precisely, although that is probably only learnt by mistakes and consequent hunger.

Original post asked is it possible.. of course it is. It is serious for those who are vegetarian. There are various threads on the topic. Wisdom is surely shared there. I could say more but it was not asked for. 😇

Most read last week in this forum

I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back