• For 2024 Pilgrims: ā‚¬50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking the Camino with Gilbert syndrome šŸ‘Øā€āš•ļø

dadaperegrino

Time of past OR future Camino
2023 - Camino FrancƩs
Hello everyone,

Iā€™ve recently been diagnosed with Gilbertā€™s syndrome, a benign genetic condition where the liver processes bilirubin more slowly than usual. This results in a buildup of bilirubin in the blood, leading to symptoms like fatigue and tiredness.

Iā€™ve completed five Caminos in the past, with the most recent being the Camino FrancĆ©s this past May.
I began noticing these symptoms only in September, which understandably affected my preparation for the upcoming Camino InglƩs I had planned for November this year.

Iā€™ll be consulting my doctor, but I wanted to reach out and see if anyone here has experience or insights related to this condition and long walks. Perhaps thereā€™s even a ā€œwalking doctorā€ familiar with the physical demands of the Camino?

Should I postpone my next Camino? Will I be able to undertake Caminos in the future? What precautions might be advisable?

I genuinely appreciate any advice or shared experiences. Thank you!

If you never heard about Gilbert you can read more here: 99BF3BA3-0B9B-4370-9DF9-351451CDE7BB.jpeg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

ā‚¬46,-
Not to sound dismissive about your concern but I was diagnosed with Gilbert's ages ago. There is no treatment but I don't believe it is life threatening. I have done 13 years of Camino living with a diagnosis of hemochromatosis which is a deadly blood disorder only treated with periodic phlebotomies to reduce the iron level in my blood system. None of my doctors were ever able to connect the two blood disorder to each other but both of them are heredity as I understand.

I have Congestive Heart Failure which has some of the same symptoms as you described. I plan to walk the 100 kms from Vigo to Santiago de Compostela and I plan to walk shorter stages and slower but I can't imagine that fatigue and tiredness will cause me to not walk the Camino. I'd talk with your Doctor and make any adjustments you need to make but plan and work to walk it.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

This looks like good straightforward advice

Hello everyone,

Iā€™ve recently been diagnosed with Gilbertā€™s syndrome, a benign genetic condition where the liver processes bilirubin more slowly than usual. This results in a buildup of bilirubin in the blood, leading to symptoms like fatigue and tiredness.

Iā€™ve completed five Caminos in the past, with the most recent being the Camino FrancĆ©s this past May.
I began noticing these symptoms only in September, which understandably affected my preparation for the upcoming Camino InglƩs I had planned for November this year.

Iā€™ll be consulting my doctor, but I wanted to reach out and see if anyone here has experience or insights related to this condition and long walks. Perhaps thereā€™s even a ā€œwalking doctorā€ familiar with the physical demands of the Camino?

Should I postpone my next Camino? Will I be able to undertake Caminos in the future? What precautions might be advisable?

I genuinely appreciate any advice or shared experiences. Thank you!

If you never heard about Gilbert you can read more here: View attachment 158335
I have the Gilbertā€™s syndrome and the only drawback is you donā€™t have enough digestive enzymes to handle fats in your stomach which can ( not often) give you diarrhea when you eat too much straight fat and sometimes a yellow ting to the whites of your eyes. The valve that allows fat digestive enzyme from your gall bladder leaks giving a little in your stomach all the time , not just when you eat fat. So when you eat alot of chorizo or jamon you are unable to get enough enzyme to break it down( sometimes you fart) . I have been on a dozen Caminos and no worries, so now easy on the vino , spirits you just easy on fats. You can now be more likely to have a gall bladder attack . But go the distance and enjoy the ride.

I too have been told I have Gilbert. For me, my bilirubin and chloresterol work in opposite. Thus, I came back from my camino and my bilirubin was under 1, hasn't been that low in 15 years. My chloresterol, however, was 236. The highest in my 48 years. If possible, choose to eat more veggies. The sun is helpful, at least for me, and helped keep my energy levels up and I stayed away, for the most part, from the sweets.

Bob

ā‚¬2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...
Hi all, just a quickie. My friend is near Burgos and needs a chairopractor to give his back a click šŸ˜³ Apparently he has it done when home in Canada (it straightens the spine )but doesn't know if...

ā“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.