• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking the El Norte Route--1st Time

bcskibdy

After a lot of back and forth (Francés v Norte) I am committing to the North Rte. I want to start late April 2012 and have 6 weeks or more (retired). I live in Seattle WA. About to book travel. I read someone went first to Bilbao for a day or so to get over the travel time. This sounds good to me. Any advice on flying to Madrid vs, say, Paris? Book directly to Bilbao? Any places where it would be good to book a room, though I'd prefer not to do that in general.

Just want to say how impressed I've been reading the various posts.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The Norte is a beautiful camino, sea and mountains, espacially if you go by the primitivo. Where do you start?
In 2006, i start in St-Jean-de-luz, a day walk from Irun. I took a flight to Paris from Montreal, took a night train with bed and arrive at 7hre AM, fresh and ready to go... You can buy the train ticket no more than 3 months in advance on SNCF site. If you buy early you can get really good deal. In 2006 that train ride cost me 28 euros. No refundable, but who care. Just perfect.

Enjoy...

jpierre

Hi, and welcome to the forum! I agree with jpierre that you are going to love this route. As you probably know, you're going to have a tough decision when you get close to Gijon, whether to turn south and connect with the Primitivo in Oviedo, or whether to continue on the Norte, which stays along the coast for several more days of walking and then turns south towards Santiago in Galicia, the town of Ribadeo to be exact. I have walked both of these routes and all I can say is that it's a tough choice but you can't make a wrong choice, because they are both beautiful. What I and others usually suggest is that you wait to see where your "camino family" is going to go. By starting in Irun or earlier, you're going to have a lot of relationships developed and you may not be ready to say goodbye when that point in the Norte comes.

If by any chance you are enamored of pre-romanesque architecture, the decision becomes much easier (I know the odds of that are small, :wink: ). But the church/monastery at Valdedios is incredible, and the church and palace outside Oviedo on mt. Naranco are equally stunning. Other than that, both caminos have all the beautiful scenery, opportunity for solitude and contemplation you could ever want. And both definitely have the Camino "feel" to it, IMO.

As far as travel route, there are so many different ways to get there. I think a lot of west coast people fly into London and then find cheap flights over to Spain. London is well located for both your beginning and ending points, because there are flights to Bilbao and then back to London from Santiago (though they may involve switching airports). I think it's important to get the travel arrangements that work best for both the arrival and the departure, that is, to make sure you can easily get to your departure city from Santiago. Others manage to get "open jaw" tickets -- that is flying into one city and out of another, so there are many many options.

I live in the midwest, and for me it always works better to go in and out of Madrid. When I walked the Norte, I flew into Madrid, hopped on a bus to Bilbao, met my walking partner there (she flew SF to London to Bilbao), we spent a day there enjoying the city, and then the day after that we took the very short bus ride to Irun. Since Bilbao is so early on the route, we didn't think we'd want or need a rest day there so we did our touring while getting over jet lag. It worked very well for us. Best of luck with your planning, and no I don't think there are any places where reservations are essential, especially at the time of year you are going. Buen camino, Laurie

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Good morning! My name is Samantha, and I am planning my first camino for May 2025. I am a bit overwhelmed trying to make a list of everything I need to have planned prior to starting. Does anyone...
Hello! I will start my first Camino at the beginning of June 2024 and plan to start my month-long journey from Bilbao walking roughly 2 weeks on Camino Del Norte and then switching to Camino Del...
Hi all, last year I done the camino portuguese with my two daughters last year but this year I'm doing the camino frances solo. I fly into Bizarrtz on 26th July and plan to start the following...
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...
As a new member of the forum who has been reading clandestinely for the past three months or so, I have to say how much I enjoy the entries--not simply for the collective wisdom from all of you...
Taking my youngest daughter on a short section from Astorga to Santiago starting June 9... Please pray for us!!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.