• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking the Primitivo Early October

Garyd

Time of past OR future Camino
Primitivo Oct 2018
Hello everyone!

Holy smokes, this came on fast, :oops: but I recently watched the movie “Six Ways to Santiago” and since then my heart has pulled me very hard to become a pilgrim by walking the Primitivo in early October. Part of my reasoning for the Primitivo over other routes is that from all accounts, it is not as busy, thus lending itself to a more reflective walk, and because I wanted to be fair to my wife and not be gone for over a month. (She said she may try the camino next May.)

I am retired now, but have never hiked or walked for any meaningful distance. I do workout at the gym three days a week, and even went on a trial walk of nine miles yesterday to see if I’m fooling myself. It went fine, so I guess I’ll start working up to be ready for October……yikes!

I have a couple of questions for those who are experienced with the Primitivo:

1. I have read that the Primitivo is the hardest of the routes, but I have also read the comments of several people online that have walked it and many say it really isn’t that bad. I am wondering what you think of a newbie trying the Primitivo as his very first walk. (Am I fooling myself?)

2. One of my reasoning for picking the Primitivo is that it is less crowded, making it more conducive for a better reflective walk. Since I will be walking in October, and not in summertime, are the other routes then less crowded in October, thus negating that reason for picking the Primitivo? I don’t want to sound as if I want to walk it in total solitude, I really hope that there are many other pilgrims there too, it’s just that I’ve read that some of the more popular routes can be very crowded….but maybe this isn’t really the case even in the summer months......just not sure.

3. Should I bring a bed roll to sleep on or is there a bed at most of the albergues? Here again, this will all be new to me, since 100% of my sleeping away from home has been in a comfortable bed in a hotel room……well maybe not always comfortable.

I am sure I will be bothering you with more questions as it gets closer to October. I will be making my flight arrangements today.

Thank you in advance for any advice you can provide. I still can’t believe I am going to do this. Those that know me will be even more shocked when they fine it out.

Gary

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello everyone!

Holy smokes, this came on fast, :oops: but I recently watched the movie “Six Ways to Santiago” and since then my heart has pulled me very hard to become a pilgrim by walking the Primitivo in early October. Part of my reasoning for the Primitivo over other routes is that from all accounts, it is not as busy, thus lending itself to a more reflective walk, and because I wanted to be fair to my wife and not be gone for over a month. (She said she may try the camino next May.)

I am retired now, but have never hiked or walked for any meaningful distance. I do workout at the gym three days a week, and even went on a trial walk of nine miles yesterday to see if I’m fooling myself. It went fine, so I guess I’ll start working up to be ready for October……yikes!

1. I have read that the Primitivo is the hardest of the routes, but I have also read the comments of several people online that have walked it and many say it really isn’t that bad. I am wondering what you think of a newbie trying the Primitivo as his very first walk. (Am I fooling myself?)

2. One of my reasoning for picking the Primitivo is that it is less crowded, making it more conducive for a better reflective walk. Since I will be walking in October, and not in summertime, are the other routes then less crowded in October, thus negating that reason for picking the Primitivo? I don’t want to sound as if I want to walk it in total solitude, I really hope that there are many other pilgrims there too, it’s just that I’ve read that some of the more popular routes can be very crowded….but maybe this isn’t really the case even in the summer months......just not sure.

3. Should I bring a bed roll to sleep on or is there a bed at most of the albergues? Here again, this will all be new to me, since 100% of my sleeping away from home has been in a comfortable bed in a hotel room……well maybe not always comfortable.

I am sure I will be bothering you with more questions as it gets closer to October. I will be making my flight arrangements today.

Thank you in advance for any advice you can provide. I still can’t believe I am going to do this. Those that know me will be even more shocked when they fine it out.

Gary
I am 73 and walked the primitivo last september. It has some ups and downs but nothing too difficult. I went from Lugo to the Norte at Sabrado( which was easy and well marked,then turned off and went to Lavacola and then to Santiago,completely avoiding the French Way. I trained for a few months with my pack and seemed to have outlasted many younger pilgrims. I also walked on to Muxia which was very pretty,although the albergues were about 30 km apart,but the walk was easy and very doable. I had a 40 km day going to fonsegrada,but only because I took a wrong turn,and walked some extra distance. With a little training you will have no problems. I do not understand it when people say that this camino is so difficult. I did not find it so. But I was cold at night and starting aug.31 it never got over 65 on any day,and I wish that I had taken a sleeping bag,as only one albergue,in Boimorto has blankets,and those for rent. It will be even colder in october,and a sleeping bag will be a must,in my opinion. Go for it! And BUEN CAMINO!

Hello Beeman,

Thank you very much for the very useful information. Wow.....40km in one day. Not sure I'm in your league at all. :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, Garyd, and a warm welcome to the Forum. :)

Regarding your question about how busy other routes are in October: In October, the various "busy" caminos, like the Frances, are much less crowded. :)

Garyd -- You might want to check the thread "Older People on the Primitivo." The option of shorter stages makes the route very doable for older folks. You certainly don't have to make the stages as short as the ones we did, but they are there for the days you want to walk fewer kilometers (and to reassure you that you have a variety of options for the distance walked). Some days have considerable climbs and those we found to be not at all intimidating when we made those days very short. We only climbed in the morning when we were fresh, stopping before most people did in order to do the next climb the following morning. I think you can certainly do this camino. Buen Camino!

Hi, Garyd, and a warm welcome to the Forum. :)

Regarding your question about how busy other routes are in October: In October, the various "busy" caminos, like the Frances, are much less crowded. :)

Thank you so much davebugg! As you can tell, I'm brand new to this and wanted to make sure I was headed onto the right camino for my first try. I'm still leaning a bit towards the Primitivo since many have expressed how beautiful of a walk it is. I just didn't want to bite off more than I can chew, nor get into a busy causeway.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello everyone!

Gary
Hi Garyd,
I walked the Frances last Oct/Nov and I walked the Primitivo late june/early july of this year. The Primitivo is much more challenging than the Frances, the infrastructure is poorer-long stints without a cafe/bar break and when you pass through villages many have nothing by way of sustenance. The Primitivo was muddy underfoot even at the time I did it and I often ended up with wet muddy runners after my walk. On the positive side the scenery is beautiful although mist/fog was a hindrance early in the mornings. There was plenty of other pilgrims on the Primitivo and no problem finding accommodation, I stayed mostly in Albergue municipal which cant be booked in advance. The path is well marked throughout.
Regarding the Frances, great infrastructure, lots of pilgrims but not crowded.
I would recommend the Frances for a first Camino over the Primitivo.
Regards,
John.

Hi Garyd,
I walked the Frances last Oct/Nov and I walked the Primitivo late june/early july of this year. The Primitivo is much more challenging than the Frances, the infrastructure is poorer-long stints without a cafe/bar break and when you pass through villages many have nothing by way of sustenance. The Primitivo was muddy underfoot even at the time I did it and I often ended up with wet muddy runners after my walk. On the positive side the scenery is beautiful although mist/fog was a hindrance early in the mornings. There was plenty of other pilgrims on the Primitivo and no problem finding accommodation, I stayed mostly in Albergue municipal which cant be booked in advance. The path is well marked throughout.
Regarding the Frances, great infrastructure, lots of pilgrims but not crowded.
I would recommend the Frances for a first Camino over the Primitivo.
Regards,
John.

Thank you very much John. That is great information, because walking the camino for me isn't about an endurance adventure. I felt I was pull to walk the camino for inspirational/spiritual reasons, so I want to do the right one for the right reasons.

Why do not you investigate walking the Madrid Camino. It is much easier and shorter! Seeing the aqueduct in Segovia alone would be worth the trip. It is less crowded than the others, and has enough places to stay,and it has some walking on the mesata,for those who like such terrain. And when you reach the French way you can walk to leon,go home,or walk the Salvador. It has the advantage of starting in Madrid and avoiding a long train ride to Oviedo or st. Ped. You can take the metro from the airport and go to the suburbs which is where you start the Camino. I do not know why so many people suggest everyone start the Francis as their first Camino. It is long,and takes a long time, and is frankly too much for a lot of people. I think that walking any Camino makes you a pilgrim,whether it is the Ingles, the France's, the Primitivo or the Le Put. Of course that is my own opinion,and you must decide for yourself.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Why do not you investigate walking the Madrid Camino. It is much easier and shorter! Seeing the aqueduct in Segovia alone would be worth the trip. It is less crowded than the others, and has enough places to stay,and it has some walking on the mesata,for those who like such terrain. And when you reach the French way you can walk to leon,go home,or walk the Salvador. It has the advantage of starting in Madrid and avoiding a long train ride to Oviedo or st. Ped. You can take the metro from the airport and go to the suburbs which is where you start the Camino. I do not know why so many people suggest everyone start the Francis as their first Camino. It is long,and takes a long time, and is frankly too much for a lot of people. I think that walking any Camino makes you a pilgrim,whether it is the Ingles, the France's, the Primitivo or the Le Put. Of course that is my own opinion,and you must decide for yourself.
The Le puy.

Hello Beeman,

Thank you so much for your reply. I will look over both those routes, as I am totally unaware of either of them right now.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings to all. I posted a few days ago stating that I will begin my first Camino in St. Jean-pied-de-Port on 29 August and that I will take it slow and steady to Santiago de Compostela...
On the Camino Del Norte. Surprised by the amount of pilgrims. Many mature pilgrims, like myself with a few Caminos under their belt, mostly appear to be staying in hotels. If staying in hotels be...
Hi I just joined and will be doing a solo walk from SJPP to Finisterre in May Jun 2025... long time to go yet but VV excited ... will be finalising dates and flights from Canberra as soon as...
Hello Pilgrims, I am Brendan an Australian Scot. I am new to the forum, but not new to the Camino. On Tuesday May 28 I will start on my seventh Camino the Norte from San Sebastián. I will try and...
I am looking for people who want to walk the camino del norte in may 2025 - starting from Irun, Bilbao or another place. Nice to hear from you.
For those of you who are using the ATM colour chart. One bank is suggested at less than 2 Euro when in fact was 4.50 Euro per withdrawal

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.