• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wateringen to Fisterra in 2014

Z

zwerver

An introduction. Why not? :)

Hi all!

I'm Rob. Male. Dutch. 43 Years old.

Will be walking from Wateringen, Netherlands (near The Hague) to Fisterra; that's about 3000 kilometers. Planning to leave somewhere in spring 2014, probably end of April or beginning of May, depending on the weather. Will be taking my time, and expect to arrive in Fisterra somewhere in October.

My route will roughly look like this: Wateringen, Rotterdam, Bergen op Zoom, Antwerp, Brussels, Paris, VĂ©zelay, Le-Puy, St. Jean, Camino del Norte, Camino Primitivo, a little bit of the Camino Touristico ;) , Santiago, Camino Finisterre.

Pleased to meet you all.

O, and now that I have your attention anyway: would anyone have a GPS-track for VĂ©zelay - Le-Puy? Haven't been able to find any yet, so I had to guess a bit.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Welcome!

Can't answer your question but if you go on the home page to > Routes in France> The Vezelay Route, then you might find additional help there. Else, create a new thread there.

I admire your stamina. Where do you plan to stay on your journey from Wateringen - hostels? hotels? and how long do you think it will take you?

Gerry

Hi Gerry.

The VĂ©zelay route does not run via Le-Puy (see Gronze.com). I think I'll have to travel GR's between VĂ©zelay and Le-Puy (GR13/GR3?). But I'll check the forum you mentioned, just to make sure.

I think I'll be walking for 4-5 months, so to be on the safe side I'm counting on 6 months.

Because walking for half a year means being without income for half a year - and because it's more adventurous - , I'll be counting on the hospitality of people along my route for a place to sleep. Also, I'll have a lightweight tent for when I need it; the larger part of my journey will run through France, and camping out in the wild is allowed in France under certain conditions (in short: only between 19:00-09:00, at least 1 hour's walk from public roads, not in national parks).

Cheers,
Rob

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Welcome to the forum Rob!
What a great adventure you will be undertaking. In NL I have only done the section Amsterdam-Den Bosch (LAW 8, part 1), now working on part 1 which leads to Visé.

Look around, you may find answers to your questions.

Cheers

p.s. had to chuckle at your signature. The first I never had the inclination to read and the second I saw after walking two Caminos and must agree that it was not my favorite.

Hi LTfit,

I've known for the past 20+ years that I'd be making this journey one day. And for me the adventure really began when last summer I made the decision that now would be the moment. Since then I've been training (I've been sitting behind a desk for the larger part of the past 15 years), and last week I started selling all my stuff. So I really feel I'm in the middle of my adventure already... :)

In how many sections / how much time are you planning to reach Santiago (/Fisterra/Muxia)?

The signature... Thought I'd add some counter weight to balance the sentiments... ;)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
From where?

You tell me...
You were talking about the section Amsterdam - Den Bosch, and about part 1 leading to Visé, so I thought you were planning an 'all-the-way' in stages. Guess I misunderstood. :)

The Pelgrimspad has been a day thing, initially on Sundays but now that it is too far away I'll need to try a weekend. Lodging is a problem, cheapest is with Vrienden op de Fiets but 19 euros adds up.
No plans to continue further south at this stage, saving my days for the summer.

Hi Rob,

That's quite inspiring. By the way one of the several things I enjoyed about the BBC 2 Pilgrimage (episode 2) was the story of the chap who walked all the way to Jerusalem. Best of luck on your journey.

BTW2 - I enjoyed "The Way". Granted the sub-plots were sometimes poor - like Daniel, the son, seemingly walking straight over a precipice when the sign to Roncevaux pointed to the left!! I mean!! Also James Nesbitt's character was slightly over the top. But I enjoyed it for the cinematography and music which I think were excellent - and the feeling of camaraderie. And the Dutch actor Yorick van Wageningen was brilliant! My favourite phrase in the film: "if it ain't Dutch it ain't much!" (Joost from Amsterdam). :D

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Gerry,

Thanks for your good wishes.

And abou...
No. Won't go there.
To each their own.
:)

Just launched my blog. Thought I might as well post the address here.
I decided to not only document the trip itself, but also the preparations.

elPeregrino.nl

Some may think it's a bit 'too much'. That's due to a combination of ADD and having worked as a web developer for the past 15 years.
It's OK. Just be glad it's my time that's wasted on maintaining this, and not yours... :)

The entire site is in dutch; I'm still searching for a good translation add-on. But even if you don't speak dutch, you may like the photos. And there are several websites out there that can translate entire web pages for you if you're really interested.

Most read last week in this forum

Good morning! My name is Samantha, and I am planning my first camino for May 2025. I am a bit overwhelmed trying to make a list of everything I need to have planned prior to starting. Does anyone...
Hi all, last year I done the camino portuguese with my two daughters last year but this year I'm doing the camino frances solo. I fly into Bizarrtz on 26th July and plan to start the following...
Hello! I will start my first Camino at the beginning of June 2024 and plan to start my month-long journey from Bilbao walking roughly 2 weeks on Camino Del Norte and then switching to Camino Del...
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...
Taking my youngest daughter on a short section from Astorga to Santiago starting June 9... Please pray for us!!

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.