• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Weather - Late May/June

TravellingSonn

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2008, Le Puy route (TBC)
Hi all,

What can I expect the weather to be like late May/June? How many degrees? Hot? Cold? Both? Rain?

Thanks again
Sonia
:)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Go here:

http://www.wunderground.com/

Go to the city your are interested. Toward the bottom left is an Almanac.

Go to a day in the month and year you are interested in.

Click on the Month tab, and you get the weather history for that month in that city.

The weather will be the same, but on different days! :D

Hi there
I have walked the Le Puy route in late May and well into June over three years. We have had mixed weather but nothing really bad. We have on occasion had very hot weather, very wet weather but nothing really cold. The Aubrac plateau in the early part of the walk from Le Puy can be quite cold. I remember it being fine and sunny but definitely needed gloves etc. Layers are the way to go. I had tech tee shirt, (or perhaps two) light fleece and rain jacket. The scenery was beautiful with masses of wild flowers. You will so enjoy it.

Anna

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Sonia!
What route will you be taking? I am going alone, starting May 20 from St Jean...I hope to see you! Look for my Camino forum patch!
Janet

It's worth remembering that May of 2010 was very harsh, and there was television coverage of tourists stranded in Orisson, though safely ensconced at the albergue. I was walking through the Bearn at the time: the weather was glacial. And weather was still poor late in the month when I entered Spain, with the pass being advised against by the office.

Yet it's also worth recalling that when I continued from Pamplona in late January of the following year, people coming from behind me were passing the Pyrenees without problems - in the dead of winter! Some days later it was a different story, of course. Weeks further along, I went up Iron Cross and O Cebreiro in the most perfect conditions, though it was still early spring.

So what they say about mountain weather in our Snowy Mountains must apply to Europe. Think about present conditions rather than season or time of year. These days, everything is "modelled" and projected - but mountains won't get with the program.

Hey, armed with some commonsense and some light layers...just go!

It'll be great.

Rob

Merci everyone!

Glad I asked this question as my packing list contained more summer clothes rather than winterish clothes.

Janet - I'm actually walking the Le Puy route commencing 23rd May. All the best for your pilgrimmage. I hope it's a beautiful experience for you as it was for me!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Sonia- I plan to leave Le Puy around May 15th for Santiago. Thanks for asking the question, I too was thinking more summer clothes. I'm a bit worried about the language though. Maybe I'll run into you!

I walked this route about the same time last year. Stopped in SJPdP. We had multiple layers on because of wind and rain. I usually prefer to walk in shorts and short sleeved t-shirts but I would have frozen. I wore everything across the Aubrac. Wind and rain. Fleece or wool and wind/rain cover for your top and bottom would be a good idea.

Thanks for your input guys! I'll ensure I pack a few winter woolies.

Nancy - I too speak minimal French. I'm finding great success with Michel Thomas audio French course. I HIGHLY recommend it.

And I hope our paths cross, it would be nice to encounter English speaking pilgrims :)

3 months today and I off... Woohoo....

Sonn

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Janet S.

I also will be leaving the 20 or 21 of May. Where are you flying into? I fly into Paris on the 19th and am a little apprehensive about the whole country of France. I don't speak the language nor do I understand it. The sooner I am on the Camino, the better!

Hope to see you on the Camino or sooner!

Judy

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi all,

What can I expect the weather to be like late May/June? How many degrees? Hot? Cold? Both? Rain?

Thanks again
Sonia

hey , did you done ? im looking to do this years that, and planing from seville to malaga. any recomendation ? thanks

Sonia,
I'm 8 days into the Camino from SJPdP and have already posted my thermals back to Australia. First 3 days were over 30 degrees celcius, and so far have had only 1 day below 20 degrees. Still bring rain gear And a jumper, but prepare for warmer days. Yesterday was 31 in Logrono.
Cheers
Chris

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back