• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Well-wishes to Costa Rica Forum Friends After the Storm

A selection of Camino Jewellery
To our Forum friends over/down there in Costa Rica~heartfelt kind thoughts for you today, hoping you're safe and dry after Hurricane Otto. We are wishing you well!
Thank you so much for your kind thoughts. The North-east of Costa Rica was seriously hit and the small town of Upala totally distroyed. Othe communities, Bagaces and Los Chiles, were flooded and are still under mud and water. 9 people are reported to have died in that zone.
The South-west, Osa peninsula in particular, had already suffered heavy rain with floods some 10 days ago. Student volonteers of various nationalities got isolated for a few days, but there were no casualties.
The Central Valley, i.e. The main towns of Cartago, San Jose, Heredia and Alajuela, did not experience anything of what was happening up North, on the other side of the central mountain range. We had reasonably nice weather, wind still with 20 C. (70 F.) temperatures. No rain but 85% air humidity.

On Thursday, Costa Rica was hit by hurricane Otto. This is the first time the country has been hit by a hurricane in 174 years! The entire fairly sparsely northern Caribbean coast had been evacuated, so no lives were lost, however, Otto continued on at force 1, due to the fact that the northern part of the country is totally flat. The rains, falling on 2 nearby volcanoes, created 2 enormous water heads, which rushed down to the plain and created havoc, leaving one town and 2 smaller villages totally covered in mud, destruction of houses and the loss of 9 lives. The 'anti clock' rotation of the hurricane then hit the southern pacific coast, which is mainly our indigenous area. This is a much more difficult area to reach. Nine hours from our capital and the final hours are on dirt roads only.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you for your news, you two--I am both relieved that all is well for you, and at the same time feeling for all those dealing with so much devastation.
Heartfelt well-wishing...may those who have lost homes and family members have all the support they need at this difficult time.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back