• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

what about mud?

grandpa.zohar

Time of past OR future Camino
(Portugese 2015)
Going from Valenca to SDC in April, I know I have 50% chance of rainy days, but what about mud? do I have to expect going in mud? holding 5 k'g shoes?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
No. Most of the path is well drained, the rest on tracks and roads is good. There might be a few kilometres in woodland that is ever so slightly squodgey but I wouldn't be wearing big boots in fear of mud. The most preparedness required is probably taking some croc sandals to dry your feet out in the evening if necessary.

In my opinion.

No. Most of the path is well drained, the rest on tracks and roads is good. There might be a few kilometres in woodland that is ever so slightly squodgey but I wouldn't be wearing big boots in fear of mud. The most preparedness required is probably taking some croc sandals to dry your feet out in the evening if necessary.

In my opinion.
Thanks, my crocs are allready in my backpack....

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I walked in late May and only remember one spot as muddy. It was between Tui and O Porrino. There was standing water in the main path and the higher side track was muddy. It wasn't very long, maybe 25 meters, but the mud was ankle deep and unavoidable.

The worser muddy parts you 'll find north of Porto.
And but lucky for you because you start in Valença do Minho, the trail from Ponte de Lima to Rubiães which is an off road trail with lot of inclined terrain.

Going from Valenca to SDC in April, I know I have 50% chance of rainy days, but what about mud? do I have to expect going in mud? holding 5 k'g shoes?

Since you are not walking the Portuguese part of the trail, you don't really need to worry to much with mud, except in the following areas:
- The O Porriño detour: besides mud, swampy terrain. There is a prt, in a mmix of a clearing and woods, that you might find water up untill your shank/shin;
- Valga Woods: pay attention to this area, it's very beautiful, but with rain and mud, it can get dangerous in the descents.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Since you are not walking the Portuguese part of the trail, you don't really need to worry to much with mud, except in the following areas:
- The O Porriño detour: besides mud, swampy terrain. There is a prt, in a mmix of a clearing and woods, that you might find water up untill your shank/shin;
- Valga Woods: pay attention to this area, it's very beautiful, but with rain and mud, it can get dangerous in the descents.
My good friend ! So better walk along Citroêns (french car factory,based in Vigo) biggest "showroom " of 2 miles long on the poligóno industrial instead of the "green" detour... Back to the beginning of the detour study.. What is better ? A bouring walk for half an hour but no muddy feet :p:p and no concern about disappeared signs and waymarkers , done by locals who have comercial interests .or... ? ¡ Digame ! :)

Last edited:
My good friend ! So better walk along Citroêns (french car factory,based in Vigo) biggest "showroom " of 2 miles long on the poligóno industrial instead of the "green" detour... Back to the beginning of the detour study.. What is better ? A bouring walk for half an hour but no muddy feet :p:p and no concern about disappeared signs and waymarkers , done by locals who have comercial interests .or... ? ¡ Digame ! :)

The arrows are only missing in the beggining. I found the detour very well marked, however with very low support infrastructures.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The arrows are only missing in the beggining. I found the detour very well marked, however with very low support infrastructures.
And lots of mud :p

So next time walk the polígono industrial, make a choice out of 2000 Citroên cars and in the no time you are in o Porriño center:D

And lots of mud :p

So next time walk the polígono industrial, make a choice out of 2000 Citroên cars and in the no time you are in o Porriño center:D

You mean like, 10 years from now? :)

You mean like, 10 years from now? :)
I do not know what plans you have !
As long as we can we will come back to the caminho Português.
I like to walk from Viseu next time .
Why for you think I am learning portugese now ?:D

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, I am trying to confirm that starting my walk from O Porriño qualifies for the last 100 km, and qualifies for a Compostela. I am finding conflicting information in different places. Camino...
Barcelos was having a huge May 1 celebration when we passed through. There was a major unveiling of a sculpture titled Peregrina the following day—very big event. We weren’t there, so I lifted a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back