• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

what AM I doing?

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
Time of past OR future Camino
walking every day for the rest of my life
In the fabric shop today I saw raincoat fabric. Knowing that my little girls' raincoats each weigh 600g, I decided I would make a poncho/raincoat and save them 400g or so (a considerable proportion of their weight).
I forgot that I loathe sewing. Even if the fabric is red with bright polka dots or navy with frogs sitting under umbrellas covered in raindrops. I just hope it truly is waterproof.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Perhaps there is a seamstress or dressmaker in your area who could do the sewing for you. Some are surprisingly inexpensive

Cut out the pattern and bond the seams with silicone instead. We used to do it for some of the dancers costumes back when I worked in theatre (sometimes they were completely made from silicone...designers, hey?). Helps with the waterproofing.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Genius!!!! Hope it won't fall apart.

we never had a problem with that method, though we'd usually make sure the silicone "gripped" the fabric a bit on each edge, just to give it a bit of extra strength. This worked on stage because you couldn't see it unless it was up close, but even then, if you smooth it over it's not too noticable.

Around the arms you might need a bit of extra reinforcement if the pack is causing any friction there.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum