• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What should I do about a phone?

falconbrother

Time of past OR future Camino
June - July 2024
The last time I traveled to Europe cell phones weren't such a major thing (yes I'm that old). I have an Iphone 14 in the US. My inclination is to just buy a cheap phone when I get to France/Spain. But, I keep reading about switching SIM cards. What is my simplest option? Trying to keep this a low frustration event...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
This me, my personal take on it. If you are anxious about it then leave fab phone at home and buy a cheap phone.
Cheap phone? No fear of loss.
In the UK you can buy a cheap no contract stand alone sim that works within plan in the EU. - same in the US?
Can an iPhone redirect from your phone to the new number? If not only give new number to essential people.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The last time I traveled to Europe cell phones weren't such a major thing (yes I'm that old). I have an Iphone 14 in the US. My inclination is to just buy a cheap phone when I get to France/Spain. But, I keep reading about switching SIM cards. What is my simplest option? Trying to keep this a low frustration event...
You don’t need to change your phone, just add an international dimension to it. I’m not from USA but plenty of folks can advise on the best value plans.

As might be said to you around where I live: c'mere to me, sonny. You have a super phone. Talk to somebody in a phone shop. Tell them what you will need/want. Those people are clued in. Do you tend to lose things? Such as a rather expensive phone? No. Well, hang on to it and give it an airing. Also, you can have some great fun with apple maps and picking a local voice depending on where you are.
Another idea. There are things called Chapters in your country. Chapters, groups of pilgrims who are members of the APOC world. Not sure exactly what it stands for, but if you do a search, maybe one bunch will be close enough to you. The members have all walked a camino, or plan to, and will have lots of experience to share with you.
I suggest this innocently, coming from a tiny country and living in an equally small land mass! I have been on the land mass of the North American continent and realise I am less than a dot...
Buen camino, when it happens!

Last edited:
This me, my personal take on it. Leave fab phone at home and buy a cheap phone.
Cheap phone? No fear of loss.
In the UK you can buy a cheap no contract stand alone sim that works within plan in the EU. - same in the US?
Can an iPhone redirect from your phone to the new number? If not only give new number to essential people.

Tell all family and friends not to get in touch except and only in case of an emergency as you are going on pilgrimage, and if there is an emergency, to text you.
Once each evening switch phone on, check messages, switch off (means you probably won't need a charger).

" No one can have two masters" - Matt 6:24 (as in, at the same time) - so you cannot be truly 'there', immersed, and still be at 'home' by being in contact with that world/life - I always choose 'there. ;)
I don't think that the question was if the OP should bring a phone or not. A smartphone has many more functions than to phone home. In the prephone age I carried a book to read, a notebook and a pen a guidebook and map(s). All those things you can leave behind when carrying a smartphone. Your argument about being in "the here and now" applies also for reading a book writing a diary and so on.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
For me, the simplest option is to just use my carrier's international plan and not deal with any hassles. I personally use AT&T. It works out to about $3/day (the plan says $10/day but they only charge you for the first 10 days in any billing cycle.) This way you get to use your normal number, and there is no need to "recharge a sim". Unlimited data. Check out what your provider offers.

Last edited:
It's always it's going to be a little bit of a hassle unless you just pay your home provider for an international plan as @Damien Reynolds suggests.

I buy a Sim card when I land in Spain and install it on my phone. The clerk at the store can usually do this. You can get a new phone number and plenty of data for about €10-€20 a month.

I’ve used Vodafone which worked well and you can get an app on your phone to top it up with a Credit/debit card.

I don't think it's that much trouble, but you have to find a store and possibly negotiate in a language you don't speak. I don’t speak Spanish well, but the clerk knows what you want when you start waving around the phone!

I’ve had better luck in the generic phone stores where they’re not attached to a particular company or plan. The airport stores only offered me really expensive plans.

An iPhone 14 either can take an eSIM or even a second Sim possibly. So you might not even have to swap out the Sim cards.

It's important to note that if your phone is locked by your provider, because you haven't finished paying it off, you won't be able to change to a local Sim.

Here's a link to a webpage that does a pretty good job of explaining the various options: https://abrokenbackpack.com/spain-sim-cards/

Last edited:
My Canadian provider would have charged me $14 a day so I got an eSIM from Airalo. It is not idiot proof but I managed to pull it off with only a few hitches. Call your service provider first and find out what they will charge you. I'm pretty sure your iPhone doesn't even have a physical SIM card to swap out so you have to use an eSIM if you're not going to use your home data plan.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Dual SIM if your phone has it and PAYG is by far the most cost-effective and convenient option. Otherwise, I agree to get coverage on your current plan if not horrendously expensive.

I don't think that the question was if the OP should bring a phone or not. A smartphone has many more functions than to phone home. In the prephone age I carried a book to read, a notebook and a pen a guidebook and map(s). All those things you can leave behind when carrying a smartphone. Your argument about being in "the here and now" applies also for reading a book writing a diary and so on.

I didn't suggest that he didn't carry a phone - I read his post.
That a smartphone has many more functions is Exactly the reason not to have one switched on, when on a pilgrimage.
A notebook and guide, maps, is about being on Camino, not about being at home.
I offered no 'argument' about being 'here and now' - you are mistaken. If you go into a monastery for a retreat you surrender phones, books, and all connection with your common outside world, otherwise the retreat has no meaning. Being on pilgrimage is, in intent, the same as a monastic retreat as the purpose is the same - it isn't an 'argument' at all, how could it be?

Bring your phone and get a SIM in Spain, or contact your cell provider for international options. Your phone has many uses, boarding passes, camera, maps, Camino apps, alarm clock, social media, etc etc. If you think you will drop or lose it pick up a phone case with lanyard so you can wear it around your neck which is super convenient for checking maps on the go or taking a quick picture without having to dig it out of your pocket.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
That a smartphone has many more functions is Exactly the reason not to have one switched on, when on a pilgrimage.
I offered no 'argument' about being 'here and now' - you are mistaken. If you go into a monastery for a retreat you surrender phones, books, and all connection with your common outside world, otherwise the retreat has no meaning. Being on pilgrimage is, in intent, the same as a monastic retreat as the purpose is the same - it isn't an 'argument' at all, how could it be?
I remember in 2009 being in an albergue by the river just outside of Arzua. A guy had a guitar and we had to look up lyrics. I sang. The german man playing the guitar looked at my phone and said, "I don't know what it is, but I want one."

Last edited:
pick up a phone case with lanyard so you can wear it around your neck which is super convenient
This is what I do, except I don't wear it around my neck. I attach it to my cross-body bag that I always wear. You could even attach to a belt loop. My lanyards come with a quick release, which is sometimes handy.

Being on pilgrimage is, in intent, the same as a monastic retreat as the purpose is the same

Perhaps for you a pilgrimage is the same as monastic retreat, but certainly it is not for everyone. It isn't for me or for anyone I've met on Camino. My Caminos regardless have had significant meaning to me.

As such, I will leave my phone switched on.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
2 options: 1) buy a cheap, unlocked phone before you go to Europe (probably cheaper in the US anyway and a lot easier).
2) Take your existing phone and wear the risk (which is a small one, by the way) of losing it - but back up everything before you leave, just in case.

Either way, you will need a SIM card, unless you are going to use roaming on your existing phone (in which case you are probably rich enough not to care).

Getting a pre-paid SIM in Spain is pretty straightforward and it is highly likely that you will find the person in the shop is friendly, patient and courteous with a good level of English. If you use Whatsapp, you can keep your US number, which makes life a bit easier.

From one Luddite to another, buen camino

Falconbrother, if you currently experience "low frustration" with your current phone, then keep it, buy your variant of an international plan, and learn how to switch networks while you're in Spain to the one that serves you best.

I personally hated Orange and would switch to Vodafone every time, but YMMV.

I used my phone and WhatsApp and Buen Camino and Wise Pilgrim and FindPenguins to rearrange everything when i found that i couldn't carry my pack, make arrangements a day or two in advance to stay and to ship said pack, let my husband know each night what i was doing (made a nice book of it later, too), and to navigate maps offline.

If, on the other hand, you don't mind a lot more buttonology and a new number and don't have those needs, then find out before you go whether your phone is unlocked, and will accept a foreign eSim. Then get one. Cheaper, but more to learn.

Buen Camino, either way.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Another point worth mentioning: if you have a Spanish SIM, whenever you call someone it will show a Spanish number and they will probably answer it. If a foreign number shows up on their phone, they may well assume it is a scammer and ignore it. So a Spanish SIM may be the way to go.

Another point worth mentioning: if you have a Spanish SIM, whenever you call someone it will show a Spanish number and they will probably answer it. If a foreign number shows up on their phone, they may well assume it is a scammer and ignore it. So a Spanish SIM may be the way to go.
I have never actually had that problem. I keep my US cell service/phone number and use WhatsApp when possible, but if the number I'm calling doesn't use WhatsApp (such as a landline) I use the Viber app to make calls for only 2¢(US) per minute. I've never had a number not answer, and I've received calls back when I've left a message.

Last edited:
In 2019, I was on yet another Camino.

At the time I used Sprint.

Unbeknownst to me my phone had automatically switched to a Spanish carrier.

I discovered it the first night in Spain when my mom called me from Los Angeles at 3am Spanish time.

The international plan’s expense was nominal.

If you have T-Mobile you don’t need to do anything.

Buen camino.

I have an Iphone 14 in the US.
@falconbrother, I have an iPhone 8 in the EU and therefore can’t give you much advice. However, I just want to point out that, from what I read, devices like your iPhone 14 are sold in the US without any physical slot for SIM cards. I don’t know whether the offer of physical SIM cards in Spain is identical with the offer of esims so this may be worth clarifying.

And here is yet another piece of advice or personal opinion that you did not ask for ;): I personally would not dream of not taking my iPhone with me on Camino. Nor would I dream of justifying it to anyone. I am glad that many foreign Camino pilgrims do not buy a cheap throw-away phone for 2-4 weeks of usage in Spain. Imagine the waste of materials, some of it rare, and other resources and the mountain of some 200,000+ discarded mobile phones every year for Camino walking in Spain alone if every peregrin@ did that. :cool:

I use t-Mobile as my provider, here in the US. As a native German company, they have a huge European footprint.

Under my mobile plan, when I am in more than 140 countries, including all of Europe, I have unlimited free texting and data. They only start getting ancy and warn me after 30 days in a foreign country.

Voice calls are USD 25 cents per minute. So, I reserve voice for emergencies. I can receive calls from the US on my phone the same way as if I were home. But, it costs .25 per minute if I pick up. So, I usually send the calls to voice mail. But, a four minute call is only USD 1 dollar.

When I get someplace with decent Wi-Fi, I can make free voice calls, over Wi-Fi.

I now have an iPhone XR. As it is due for planned obsolescence soon, I am looking at replacing it with an iPhone 16. My point is that, if you have the right service plan and provider at home, you do not need to do anything.

As soon as I power up on landing at Madrid, Paris or London, the phone automatically connects to the local t-mobile partner. Easy Peasy.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Just bring your phone. You can get an e-sim if you want to keep costs down but depending on your carrier, I suspect that the trade off between cost and ease may be to use your provider's travel plan. (When I first got my phone with the dual e-sim, I thought I'd be fancy so bought an e-sim card but I couldn't get right what to turn on and off from my US sim, and ended up paying for both the e-sim and AT&T's $10/day. Now, I just go and pay the $10/day ($100 max per billing period))

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I used to carry an iPad and a basic phone which I had bought in Spain, maybe three years prior, but when I tied to purchase a SIM card for the older phone or purchase minutes for it, no shop claimed to have either a sim card to fit it in stock , nor could simply add minutes the existing one. or simply couldn’t be bothered (had other customers waiting in line with their ticket number too). They wanted us to by a smart android. We were in the center of Leon,Spain and tried Orange, Movistar and a couple of smaller phone stores to no avail. Now it maybe different in other towns/cities? Because of this experience I signed up at home with T mobile. It charges 25cents per minute for calls in Europe and has unlimited data usage. I then purchased a new but not the latest Iphone at a very reasonable price. Have used it now for two years in Spain, Germany, Austria, and Italy with no difficulty. As soon as we arrive in Europe it works!

I would just get a SIM card in one of the big cities (Madrid, Paris, San Sebastian, Porto) depending on where you are starting your Camino. They are usually 20 Euros, with ample data and are valid for 30 days. I personally prefer Orange than any of the other providers. I had done that in my previous 3 caminos. Buen Camino!

If your iPhone 14 is locked like mine is, you will not be able to add a Spanish eSIM to it. (I have AT&T). I ended up taking an old phone, one of my kids’ castoffs, and putting an Orange SIM in it in Spain. I also brought my fancy new phone for the photos. Yes, it was inconvenient to have 2 phones. Yes, I will do it again that way in a few more months!

I enjoyed a really excellent 7 days on the Sanabres in late November 23 after my 'phone expired (Don't ask how or why) and Guide Books, Maps, and fellow Pilgrims were all I needed boosted by the low numbers on the Sanabres which meant NO rush for a bed.

So, if I understand @falconbrother ’s situating correctly who has an iPhone 14 bought in the USA:
  1. Check whether the phone is locked (that’s easy to do)
  2. Forget about buying a SIM card. Your phone does not have a slot for physical SIM cards.
  3. Then either check your current provider’s plan if suitable for Spain or get another eSIM.
  4. If another eSIM for an iPhone 14, do you buy this in the USA or in Spain? Does it matter how it can get activated? (see relevant Apple support pages - If you purchased an iPhone 14 model or later in the United States but will use it while living in a different country or region)

My iphone 8 worked well while I was on the CF last year. Of course make sure you have a good screen protector; my protector gave is life to save the phone screen and I replaced it for a few euros. Also make sure the phone is backed up on icloud. If you are concerned about the phone being lost or stolen than perhaps consider insuring it (I have never tried this, though). Have a case or something that can protect the phone in case of rain. I have T-Mobile (I live in the US) and I have never had a problem using my phone in Europe. I've never had to think about SIM cards. I think at some point you might use up your allotment of high-speed data, at which time it may slow down. I used wifi whenever I could find it. Also your battery is far better than mine and so it should hold a charge for quite some time. I never found the need for a power bank.
In short I would bring it.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I have T-Mobile and I'm pretty sure you get international coverage automatically but with slower data speeds. I'm assuming connecting with wifi would work the same.

I have T-Mobile and I'm pretty sure you get international coverage automatically but with slower data speeds.
This is true. I have used T-Mobile on my Caminos since 2016. The speeds have always been fast enough to do what I needed.

However, this year when I upgraded my phone I also upgraded my phone plan, and got 5GB of high speed data per billing cycle while abroad. This also included free phone calls.

I got used to that fast data, so when I used up the 5GB I opted to buy another data package from T-Mobile. (My new phone was still locked to T-Mobile so I couldn't use a foreign eSIM). It wasn't as cheap as buying a Spanish eSIM, but I thought that the price was reasonable.

This year I will be able to use Airalo to buy a cheap eSIM.

This is true. I have used T-Mobile on my Caminos since 2016. The speeds have always been fast enough to do what I needed.

However, this year when I upgraded my phone I also upgraded my phone plan, and got 5GB of high speed data per billing cycle while abroad. This also included free phone calls.

I got used to that fast data, so when I used up the 5GB I opted to buy another data package from T-Mobile. (My new phone was still locked to T-Mobile so I couldn't use a foreign eSIM). It wasn't as cheap as buying a Spanish eSIM, but I thought that the price was reasonable.

This year I will be able to use Airalo to buy a cheap eSIM.
All I know is my friends are very grateful when I share my hotspot.

I have an Iphone 14 in the US.
@falconbrother why haven't you helped us help you? So we only know that you have an iPhone 14. Is it locked? Will it be unlocked by the time of your trip? Can you get a temporary unlock? What network are you using at home? Will you want to make many/any calls back home? Are you expecting calls and/or texts from home? What do you use cellular data for at home and how much? How long will you be needing communication and in what countries? Are you willing to download and use apps like WhatsApp, Skype, Viber? Do you have a VoIP phone number such as Google Voice?

Answers to these questions will allow us to give you a plan instead of generi information.

ATT is $10 per day with max of $100…if you use it for a month it works out to $3.33 per day, and you already have all of your contacts and apps etc

There are several great trip apps that show the Camino route AND your position on it…handy when you’re not sure if you missed a turn.

I swear by “pocket earth” (app) also… you can download all of Spain and get very detailed maps of every town you go through - including locations of stores, restaurants, hotels, yada. Works without cell coverage, can show your position if you do have cell coverage.

Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If your iPhone 14 is locked like mine is, you will not be able to add a Spanish eSIM to it. (I have AT&T). I ended up taking an old phone, one of my kids’ castoffs, and putting an Orange SIM in it in Spain. I also brought my fancy new phone for the photos. Yes, it was inconvenient to have 2 phones. Yes, I will do it again that way in a few more months!
Yes. Been there done that. 🤨

@falconbrother why haven't you helped us help you? So we only know that you have an iPhone 14. Is it locked? Will it be unlocked by the time of your trip? Can you get a temporary unlock? What network are you using at home? Will you want to make many/any calls back home? Are you expecting calls and/or texts from home? What do you use cellular data for at home and how much? How long will you be needing communication and in what countries? Are you willing to download and use apps like WhatsApp, Skype, Viber? Do you have a VoIP phone number such as Google Voice?

Answers to these questions will allow us to give you a plan instead of generi information.
Hehe. I think the OP wanted "simple". Like I don't want to think or guess about any of those things.

I have an active iPhone 14 through Verizon. Apparently it’s quite expensive to use it internationally. So, it may be cheaper for me to just buy a burner phone in France or Spain. I only want it for emergencies and a once a day check for text messages. I plan to leave it off as much as I can.

I have an active iPhone 14 through Verizon. Apparently it’s quite expensive to use it internationally. So, it may be cheaper for me to just buy a burner phone in France or Spain. I only want it for emergencies and a once a day check for text messages. I plan to leave it off as much as I can.
Have you checked with Verizon to see how much it costs? This plan from Verizon costs $100/month and gives you 20GB of high speed data, 250 minutes of calls, and unlimited texts.

If your phone is unlocked it would be much less expensive to add an eSIM than to buy a burner phone and SIM.

I think you can get by free or really cheaply by using Google Voice. First you read about it and then sign up for a free US VOIP telephone number at voice.google.com (you can even enter a sequence of numbers with the hope that you can get that sequence somewhere in the 10 needed for a full number). You associate your new number with your current iPhone number and then play with settings to get your new number to do your bidding. You can use a browser or the Voice app to make or receive calls and texts and to record missed calls (with transcript to text also). All this is free in the US and partly for Mexico and Canada). You use the internet for this, either cellular or wifi. Since you don't want to use expensive Verizon data this means just wifi to you. Give the new number only to those you might want to hear from during your trip or alternatively forward calls and texts to your currently used number to your Voice number. In Spain use your browser or Voice app to check your messages kept in the cloud. All this is free. What will cost is international calls you make or pickup (I think texts are free but check) . A call made from the US to your US Voice number will be free to the caller but will cost you the Spain minute rates instead of being free if you were home. The rates can be cheap but the minimum you have to pay in advance is $10. A call from Spain to a US landline is a penny per minute. When you make the call a robot operator will tell you the rate per minute or you can look rates up at I think you can get by free or really cheaply by using Google Voice. First you read about it and then sign up for a free US VOIP telephone number at voice.google.com (you can even enter a sequence of numbers with the hope that you can get that sequence somewhere in the 10 needed for a full number). You associate your new number with your current iPhone number and then play with settings to get your new number to do your bidding. You can use a browser or the Voice app to make or receive calls and texts and to record missed calls (with transcript to text also). All this is free in the US and partly for Mexico and Canada). You use the internet for this, either cellular or wifi. Since you don't want to use expensive Verizon data this means just wifi to you. Give the new number only to those you might want to hear from during your trip or alternatively forward calls and texts to your currently used number to your Voice number. In Spain use your browser or Voice app to check your messages kept in the cloud. All this is free. What will cost is international calls you make or pickup. These are cheap but the minimum you have to pay in advance is $10. Calls made to you are free but you pay the same rate for these as for calling them. From Spain to a US landline a call can cost you a whooping penny a minute. A robot operator will tell you the rate when you start the call or you can check the rate beforehand at this link: https://voice.google.com/u/0/rates

If this looks good check out Voice and send me a short private conversation so we can arrange a call to handle questions.

Also the Voice number can be handy back in the US. A lot of folks use it as a business number. It can be configured to call your personal number to show the call as coming from the caller's number or the Voice number (in which case you know its a business call).

Your lockscreen can display a "If found call [Voice number]" and if lost a browser can be used to get left messages.

BTW, WhatsApp is a good substitute for Voice in a case like this. Besides all the useful features Voice has I suggested it over WhatsApp as it doesn't require anyone that needs to contact you to download and learn a new app.

I did install WhatsApp this summer and I found it easy to use. It turned out that a neighbor with a son living in Germany had it installed too. We got together and tried a few things out and were able to say things in person like "I'm doing X; did it work?" and look at each others' screens.

About 90% of Spanish smartphones have WhatsApp installed.

Last edited:
If you do that, why wait until you get overseas? I am fairly sure you can get unlocked phones in North America and probably cheaper. You can get good quality recycled phones online too, that way you help the environment.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
For a few years, I had “Project Fi” from Google. It may have changed since I got rid of it, but then, the good side was that it worked in all thirty countries I’ve been in without changing phone numbers. The bad side is that I had to buy one of three specific models of phone to get it. Supposedly, they will give you a SIM card to make it work on an iPhone, but only after you activate it on their model!

Voice/text was US$ 20 per month. There was a separate charge per gigabyte of data but after the first forty dolllars any additional was free. I only only only exceeded that one or two months in the three years I had it.

Another downside (for me—most people don’t care) was having all my calls routed through NSA’s biggest competitor.

Have you checked with Verizon to see how much it costs? This plan from Verizon costs $100/month and gives you 20GB of high speed data, 250 minutes of calls, and unlimited texts.

If your phone is unlocked it would be much less expensive to add an eSIM than to buy a burner phone and SIM.
Yes, and Verizon also has a $10/day option and you're only charged if you use it.
And once you use it, you can use it all day - so that could be your day to call home, etc.

I haven't decided which I'll use this year - have you used it trecile? Was 250 minutes enough? I mean it SOUNDS like more than enough . . . but I have to remember I have pilgrims in my group calling me...

I haven't decided which I'll use this year - have you used it trecile? Was 250 minutes enough? I mean it SOUNDS like more than enough . . . but I have to remember I have pilgrims in my group calling me
No, I use T-Mobile. I was just responding to someone who uses Verizon.
For me, 250 minutes would be more than enough. I doubt I use anywhere near that at home.
Why not have those in your group use WhatsApp for calling?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Whether you land in France or Spain, buy a Lycamobile sim.. buy the €5 plan, it gives you 6Gb of data, 100 national or international minutes, and it has free roaming in the European Union. The €10 plan gives you 20Gb of data and 400 international or national minutes...lasts 28 days so a recharge is necessary on Camino Francés.

Hi! I also have an IPhone 14 and I’m from Canada where international plans are expensive.
Data plans in Europe are so much cheaper.
You could walk into any Vodophone (most of Europe?) or orange store (Spain) and ask them to add a local data plan to your phone. You can get 30Gigs for 30€ ish, that’s enough to use maps whenever you want, listen to music, podcasts even if they aren’t downloading (but I recommend downloading some books and things to watch ahead of time).
Your phone allows for dual sim and e sim so you don’t have to change a card, it’s all in the settings and the person at the store will do it for you and make sure it’s working before you walk away.
Alternatively, you could visit their travel websites and buy a travel eSIM before you depart and switch it on when your plane lands. The good news, if you are using WhatsApp, you can keep using your primary number and all your contacts will be able to reach you. iMessage texting and phone calls, you’ll need to share your new number.
I’ve done this many times so let me know if you have more questions.

My understanding is that many newer phones have multiple eSIM options. I don't quite understand how they work, but my daughter had success in a trip to Italy last year. When I did the Camino in 2022, I took two phones, my regular phone which I used with outrageous VERIZON international charges for the first few days until arrived at Pomplona where I purchased a Spanish SIM card at the Vodaphone store for my other phone. That gave me a Spanish phone number and data. I then shut my USA VERIZON phone off for the rest of the Camino. Mostly I used the WhatsApp for communication.

It worked great. I plan to explore getting a new phone with dual eSIM capability for an upcoming Camino in May. It's going to be a learning curve I'm sure.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
For a few years, I had “Project Fi” from Google.
After the OP told us in more detail about what he wanted I scratched Fi off of the list of ways he could meet his needs and chose Voice as the way for him to go.

I've been using their most basic plan from Fi for at least seven years so you know I'm a happy customer. With the Flexibile plan (the basic one) voice and text is $20 per month though data is rather expensive at $10 per GB (but really they charge by the MB, a penny per). They stop charging for data after 6 GB.

Internationally I get free texts, data at the same rate as back home and calls for 25 cents per minute if I'm correct. I don't really care about that charge as Fi allows calls over wifi even cheaper (but get into airplane mode first and then connect to wifi to force using that).

This last September I used Fi, Voice, wifi, Airalo data eSIM and WhatsApp successfully for three weeks for a hair over $20 and still had half my data leftover.

No, I use T-Mobile. I was just responding to someone who uses Verizon.
For me, 250 minutes would be more than enough. I doubt I use anywhere near that at home.
Why not have those in your group use WhatsApp for calling?
Yes, we are using WhatsApp - but not everyone follows instructions. :::rolling her eyes:::

I purchased a Lycamobile sim in France. I couldn't renew it online nor could the person who sold them in Spain. He changed it over for. Spanish sim card.

Last edited by a moderator:
Walked the Camino two years ago and last year walked the West Highland Way. Both times I used my USA T-mobile senior account which includes an international plan at no extra cost. Keeping your USA phone number is important if your bank requires third party confirmation.

I have a T-Mobile account. It works in 135-plus countries without having to activate/change anything. No data roaming charge and I can use unlimited data. Calls made to the US via Wi-Fi are free. If you make local calls using cellular data, it is 25 cents per minute. I can google hotels, use Google Maps, etc. all without having to pay extra for data roaming.

I have never actually had that problem. I keep my US cell service/phone number and use WhatsApp when possible, but if the number I'm calling doesn't use WhatsApp (such as a landline) I use the Viber app to make calls for only 2¢(US) per minute. I've never had a number not answer, and I've received calls back when I've left a message.
Hi Trecile, can I ask how this has worked to receive incoming calls? Say for instance, a hospitalero wants to call you to confirm you are still expecting to arrive at their accommodation, what is the process for them to reach you on your US number? I have three hospitaleros (Zubiri, Bercianos, Terradillos) in an upcoming Camino who have specifically asked for a number that I can be reached on while on the Camino for the above purpose... if I buy a sim on arrival in Spain, I can advise those who have stipulated the need to know a local Spanish number for me, however, there may be others, whom I am unaware of that may wish to contact me? Do they need to know they need to use WhatsApp or Viber to contact me? Assuming I'd need to advise family at home prior to leaving for Spain to download WhatsApp and Viber for communication while away? Would be interested to hear your thoughts. Thank you.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Trecile, can I ask how this has worked to receive incoming calls? Say for instance, a hospitalero wants to call you to confirm you are still expecting to arrive at their accommodation, what is the process for them to reach you on your US number? I have three hospitaleros (Zubiri, Bercianos, Terradillos) in an upcoming Camino who have specifically asked for a number that I can be reached on while on the Camino for the above purpose... if I buy a sim on arrival in Spain, I can advise those who have stipulated the need to know a local Spanish number for me, however, there may be others, whom I am unaware of that may wish to contact me? Do they need to know they need to use WhatsApp or Viber to contact me? Assuming I'd need to advise family at home prior to leaving for Spain to download WhatsApp and Viber for communication while away? Would be interested to hear your thoughts. Thank you.
Ideally, anyone who needs to contact you will use WhatsApp or Viber as those won't incur extra charges for you. Even if you out a Spanish SIM in your phone your phone number for WhatsApp will remain your home phone number. I'm not sure about Viber, but I think that it's the same.

I make phone calls to landlines with the Viber app, but occasionally they have to call me back. When that happens it does cost me 25¢/minute on my T-Mobile account. I try to keep those calls as brief as possible.

Yes, we are using WhatsApp - but not everyone follows instructions. :::rolling her eyes:::
Just decline the call, and call them back via WhatsApp.
Personally, I'd program a message that I can send instructing them that they have to call you via WhatsApp, but I appreciate as you're leading the group that's not really an option!
Unless you warned them in advance however? I've watched your videos, directness is, shall we say, in your skillset.

Would be interested to hear your thoughts.
Quoting you here to help ensure that you see this post.

Viber.com has the best online documentation that I've seen in at least a decade. I was very impressed and checked out many pages because they were so good but I have a Google Voice number already that does much the same so I didn't read them all.

BTW, If you want information on Google Voice I gave the OP a possible solution to his problem by using it in post #41 above.

FWIW, I have a gripe about companies saving money on documentation. They rely on what freelance writers submit to online magazines and such. This helps the companies, freelancers and magazines but isn't best for the users.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If you can do a dual sim on your existing phone you can add a second sim easily in a place like Pamplona. If you have an iPad you could also bring that and add the sim to the iPad. That I what I did.

If you can do a dual sim on your existing phone you can add a second sim easily in a place like Pamplona. If you have an iPad you could also bring that and add the sim to the iPad. That I what I did.

not just ipads - plenty of Android tablets set for sim use.

You don’t need to change your phone, just add an international dimension to it. I’m not from USA but plenty of folks can advise on the best value plans.
I went into the phone shop at the airport to buy a sincard. They did all the switching for me and checked that it was working correctly. Easy peasy. Now i have t-mobile and don't even have to do that.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Just as many others already mentioned this, I have T-Mobile. It saves a hustle of changing SIMs and basically either let lots of folks all around know your local number or worry that you missed something\someone along the line.
The rules are as was started - your data is still free so all your SMS is free. Any Wi-Fi service is free (WhatsApp, Viper, etc. so anything running through them is free)
Any "phone" calls made will be at $.25\min regardless who you are calling and even where!

in 2021 my wife and I ran this 'experiment': while sitting about 200 meters from LaSagrada Familia and sipping our Sangrias while awaiting Paellas being less than a foot from each other - I called her mobile and when she answered promptly hung up.
Both of our phones got charged $.25 each - mine for making the call and hers for 'talking' it

Something to keep in mind

your data is still free so all your SMS is free. Any Wi-Fi service is free (WhatsApp, Viper, etc. so anything running through them is free)
This advice is a little bit mixed up and so is not really correct.

1 True SMS does not use data and so is not free. If you use a messaging app that is capable of sending messages across a data connection then that will be free, in this particular case (where data is considered to be free).

2 WhatsApp and Viper use a data connection and so if your data is free (WiFi or mobile data) then anything sent through those apps will also be free, in this case (where data is considered to be free).

In the more general case where mobile data is provided via a mobile service plan with associated costs then the cost of using these apps is the costs associated with mobile data.

Just as many others already mentioned this, I have T-Mobile. It saves a hustle of changing SIMs and basically either let lots of folks all around know your local number or worry that you missed something\someone along the line.
The rules are as was started - your data is still free so all your SMS is free. Any Wi-Fi service is free (WhatsApp, Viper, etc. so anything running through them is free)
Any "phone" calls made will be at $.25\min regardless who you are calling and even where!

in 2021 my wife and I ran this 'experiment': while sitting about 200 meters from LaSagrada Familia and sipping our Sangrias while awaiting Paellas being less than a foot from each other - I called her mobile and when she answered promptly hung up.
Both of our phones got charged $.25 each - mine for making the call and hers for 'talking' it

Something to keep in mind
Thank you for the reminder. For me, the convenience of not having to change # overrides any additional cost i have verifications setup via text, so not switching # saves a lot of hassle.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.