• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

What are YOUR Favourite Spanish Words?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Caña - much easier to pronounce than cerveca

With all due respect to all fellow members of this great forum. I found this posting done by a group here in South Florida and is called “Spanish without barriers “.

Hope you like it.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Absolutely. But 11th to 14th are all post Norman conquest. Before the Norman conquest English had full grammatical gender, a case system, full declension in the various tenses (as opposed to one form for first, second and third person, singular and plural, in the past, for example), adjectives agreed with nouns in terms of gender and number, etc. All that disappeared pretty rapidly as time scales go. This kind of grammatical simplification is fairly consistent with pidginization.

And, to relate ot to the discussion, Old English had a full and commonly used subjunctive mood, rather than the tiny vestige of a subjunctive in Modern English. So small that if it were gone, few would notice it.

You can read Chaucer without too much trouble. Other dialects like that in Sir Gawain and the Green Knight will be a bit of a challenge. Beowulf (or any other Old English) is a whole other kettle of fish.

If you are interested, I could post an Old English riddle I once wrote and we can see how many people can solve it.

Last edited:

OK but then so did French/Anglo-Norman.

OK but then so did French/Anglo-Norman.
Yep. That's the way pidginization works. Old English had this grammar. Old French had it, too. Smush them together and it gets lost and simplified. It takes a bit of time which is why I originally said 12th century plus as the process wasn't complete in the earliest Anglo-Norman. Admittedly, this is all based on my memory of university undergrad courses (I majored in English and Linguistics, with a focus on the history of English) that were, let's just say, a number of decades ago. And my memory has never been the same since my early days of parenting and sleepless nights.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Of course she did... as soon as you said gracias!

Those grammatical forms became moribund during the Middle English period, and so a lot later than 12th Century. I'm not convinced it was from pidginization. In just one particular example, the second person singular verbal forms persist today mostly in dialect and poetic forms, but this was from second person plural honorific usage becoming "normal" through custom, so that we say "you go on pilgrimage" not typically "thou goest".

Usually though, when certain grammatical forms become indistinct from one another, it's from phonetic evolution leading people to no longer practising those distinctions in speech ; which eventually leads to their loss in the Grammar of the language. The feminine and plural forms in English adjectives for instance vanished from no longer being pronounced in speech, so that the English adjective became an invariable. That's not pidginization, whereas in the French and in the present-day Anglo-Norman dialects of the Channel Islands, those differential grammatical distinctions in form have persisted.

There's also technically a difference between pidginisation as such, dialectisation, and the adoption into one language of some grammatical, vocabulary, and rhetorical habits of another -- and a peculiarity of English in particular is that many of those habits were introduced into the language through individual efforts in literature, so that many elements from the French were introduced via the mediaeval romance literature, many from the Italian through Chaucer, and a complex mix of foreign influences through Shakespeare. Chaucer's influence on the language was particularly huge -- similar in many respects to the huge influence of Dante Alighieri into the Italian.

The overall influence of the language as it was spoken at the Royal Courts of the English Monarchs over the centuries also played a huge part in the normalisation of speech and grammar in England towards its present forms, which also is not really a pidginisation.

Tiquismiquis=fussy

€46,-
Please excuse this egregiously off-topic response. I expect that this belongs in "Not a serious thread". But in light of our discussion of early English history and language, I couldn't resist.

Most read last week in this forum