• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Heavily pruned trees

bkkboy

Time of past OR future Camino
Between Pamplona and Los Arcos we have seen many heavily pruned trees. About 2 to 4 m high. Often in populated public spaces. Any suggestions what they are?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Probably plane trees I think (if google translate is doing its job correctly - "Platane" in german).

They get very big leaves. The way they're pruned, they're like a living roof or umbrella in summer, giving lots of shade.

In some places, gardeners/farmers prune (to just big stalks/branches) plants heavily for healthier growth (leaves, flowers, fruits, etc) for the upcoming season..

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Between Pamplona and Los Arcos we have seen many heavily pruned trees. About 2 to 4 m high. Often in populated public spaces. Any suggestions what they are?
You’re seeing a method of pruning called ‘pollarding’

There was a thread about this some years ago. Just do a search for pollarding.

Some of the places you walk through on camino have plazas with many trees pollarded - to allow sunlight in winter and give good shade in summer once the regrowth has happened. I got my first glimpse many years back visiting Burgos in May.

Here they call it Topping a live oak to get a certain shape and look..which properly done does make them look good..but in the wrong hands it is a crime against nature..poor sods..nary a limb to sprout leaves from

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Good afternoon, all: My apologies if this question is answered in another post. I am walking the Camino Frances in three weeks from Sarria to Santiago de Compostela and would appreciate any...
There are many 'What a lovely wonderful day that was' on the Camino but there are also days that are more difficult, 'Thank Goodness that's over'. History shows us that such was always the...
I've used Duolingo and Babbel, and have started listening to language transfer. But so far, I'm liking Wlingua the best. It presents clear differences between Spanish/Espana and Spanish/Latin...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.