• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What I found on the CF

MARSKA

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Sept/Oct 2023
Maybe just coincidence or good fortune meeting the people I met ... Accepting, caring human beings searching for, well, searching.

I cannot recall ever being in a community of people who were so accepting, helpful, and loving as those with whom I had the good fortune to share the Camino this fall. And without conditions. A precious gift I will cherish forever.

I feel like my eyes have been opened. Now at home I weep inside when I hear people make unkind remarks to one another or show disrespect for different ideas or lifestyles. We can treat each other well! Why don't we? Why oh why?

In all honesty I kinda "poo-pooed" he Camino family thing. However, to my astonishment and delight I had not just one but several Camino families to nurture and to be nurtured by. I marvel at the dynamics of a Camino walk that fosters such an experience for so many people. We need the Camino ... I for one will rejoice at large numbers of pilgrims as it means more people are experiencing IT. Yes? No? Maybe? If they do it the way you think it should be done?

I am so very, very grateful. More than I can begin to express.

Kath

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hola @MARSKA So great to read a “good news” story. Really please to hear that you have had an enjoyable Camino. Cheers

Maybe just coincidence or good fortune meeting the people I met ... Accepting, caring human beings searching for, well, searching.

I cannot recall ever being in a community of people who were so accepting, helpful, and loving as those with whom I had the good fortune to share the Camino this fall. And without conditions. A precious gift I will cherish forever.

I feel like my eyes have been opened. Now at home I weep inside when I hear people make unkind remarks to one another or show disrespect for different ideas or lifestyles. We can treat each other well! Why don't we? Why oh why?

In all honesty I kinda "poo-pooed" he Camino family thing. However, to my astonishment and delight I had not just one but several Camino families to nurture and to be nurtured by. I marvel at the dynamics of a Camino walk that fosters such an experience for so many people. We need the Camino ... I for one will rejoice at large numbers of pilgrims as it means more people are experiencing IT. Yes? No? Maybe? If they do it the way you think it should be done?

Kath
Nicely put.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I totally get this. I too walked my Camino this fall/autumn, and it was the most amazingly magical experience full of ups and downs, humbleness, amazing people, and almost unbelievable happenings. So much more than I could have ever imagined or expected (although I was careful to go with an open mind and heart).
And all of those cheesy Camino sayings you read about - well they are true!

Kath
Nice to have met you also.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Kath
I love reading this because your Camino was so similar to mine. I also walked the CF this fall, been home for 3 weeks, and reading your account reminds me of all the special people that I met. I can’t imagine having to deal with the emotional/physical highs and lows without the benefit of this community family. I have been fortunate to have had a Camino family on each of the Camino’s that I have walked and it is one of the reasons that I return as often as possible.

Kath
When you are all walking the same way you have so much in common. You can reinvent yourself . You can be rich or you can be smart are everybody see you how you are. I like the term. “ show & tell” you get to ask a Pole about the economy , ask a Brit about music and talk to a French person about politics— all in one day—//

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Kath
Well said! My wife and I walked the Camino this fall and found exactly what you did. We are in our mid-70's, so were among the very slowest - which didn't bother a soul. If fact, quite a few people would slow their pace to ask how we were and if they could help us in any way. For those times when we did need some help (usually after a fall), someone was at our side helping within 5 minutes or so. It was amazing. While we didn't walk the entire CF, we did make 250 miles of it starting in SJPDP. The real test of 'the Camino provides' came when my wife fell with only 40 km to go to Santiago. I was holding on to her, so kept her company as we both hit the ground. I escaped with a chipped tooth; she actually broke her leg. Our fellow pilgrims - whom we had just met - sprang into action. They carried her back to the top of the hill, called an ambulance, and stayed with her to help explain to the emergency crew. What an amazing experience and what amazing people we met. I'm hoping we can return next year to finish what we missed. How blessed we feel to have had this opportunity.

The camino is very special, any camino. That's why many of us pilgrims go again and again.
Glad to hear you enjoyed it Marska, and got a lot from it. It stays with you for a long, long time.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.” Mark Twain

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Kath

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back