• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What I lost on the Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Three pairs of gloves, two hats, three headlamps (!), two pairs of undies, one liner sock, one pair of toesocks. Like a trail of breadcrumbs.

I won the "most things lost" award.

Buen Camino
Pretty much impossible not to lose socks and underwear on any trip in my experience! Lost quite a view hats too!

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Three pairs of gloves, two hats, three headlamps (!), two pairs of undies, one liner sock, one pair of toesocks. Like a trail of breadcrumbs.

Buen Camino
I lost far more in 2016, although to be fair, much was at the Tomatina in Valencia after the Camino was done just before flying home.

Buen Camino
& here was I expecting some kind of D&M post by the title... 😄
Thanks for the laugh @MARSKA ...& the various equipment/clothing companies thank you for your repeat custom!
👣🌏

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Buen Camino
As I was reading your post I started singing...
"The twelve days of Christmas" in my head.😅

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
More importantly, what did you gain on the Camino?
'Someone' gained..........Three pairs of gloves, two hats, three headlamps (!), two pairs of undies, one liner sock, one pair of toesocks and a jacket!

When are you walking again @MARSKA . I think there will be a few people wanting to follow you..... :rolleyes:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hola - @MARSKA all i can say to your lost items is WOW!!! I think I am still in the same boat as @Robo,
I seem to do a double check of bunk and clothes lines before heading out.
I don't really consciously 'check'. It's more just a routine.

I don't carry any 'surplus' stuff, so if something is missing I notice right away.
Also, everything goes in the exact same place every day.
Clean socks and underwear etc in the red dry bag.
Clean pants, shirt in the yellow dry bag.
Washing stuff in the ziplock bag. etc etc

And as I pack. It's always the same sequence, to balance the pack.
Sleeping bag in the bottom, one sandal either side, yellow dry bag, red dry bag etc etc

So I'm really checking everything off as I pack.

Anything needed along the way goes in the pack top pocket, headlight, snacks, sheeps wool knife etc.

If I stop somewhere, hat goes into the top of the pack, gloves in hip belt pocket etc......

I can relate 🤣.

Even though I have a routine for checking when I leave the albergue (and after rest stops), there's still always things I forget at some point. Probably due to being too tired or being excited to get going early in the morning. Also, the Camino's way of telling me I carry too much stuff!

Since 2015, I've lost/ forgotten, at least:

- five pairs of socks or so plus the single ones that fell off my pack while drying
- one pair of sandals
- one pair of Crocs
- one pair of flip flops
- one leather hiking boot
- one backpack raincover
- several towels
- uncounted underwear
- two or three shirts
- a buff
- countless soap/shampoo bars
- countless hair ties
- several clothes lines
- one nice summer dress for the evening
- several hats
- plastic containers for food
- an opinel
- food items still in the fridge
- a hip flask
- my very first hiking stick ☹️

and very importantly:
- most of my social anxiety&depression
- insomnia
- weight

... and probably more I can't remember right now!

On the other hand, I found/ got giftet:

- three hats
- two towels
- a shirt
- my hip flask (another pilgrim found it and carried it until he met me again!)
- a pair of sandals
- a guide book
- several hair ties
- food leftovers from other pilgrims in the albergue kitchens

and most importantly:
- a kitten
- new friends
- countless friendly locals and pilgrims to meet
- a more positive view of people and the world in general
- more happiness than I ever could have imagined!
- did I mention the kitten? 🥰

Some things you lose, some things you find! Even though the "lost" list is longer I feel I have found much more than I lost, over the years!

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
- did I mention the kitten?
What do you mean, you found a kitten? You saw one on the trail and took it home with you?????

I only lost a a hair tie and a pair of sunglasses, and those were post camino, on the trip back to Australia. They probably fell in a bathroom in Singapore airport.

The list of gains is too long to post here :D

A pair of expensive prescription sunglasses left on an otside bar table in Seville the day before I started. I went back as soon as I realised (maybe 10 mins later) but they were gone. I can't imagine what use they could have been to anyone else.

What do you mean, you found a kitten? You saw one on the trail and took it home with you?????
Yes. He was in need of medical attention and then came home with me when he was healthy again and able to travel :). Best souvenir ever, and counters everything I lost, easily!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
hi @MARSKA

I posted a comment here,, but realised I was on the wrong thread. Meant post it to your CF Report, so I've moved it.

As someone who is prone to 'permanently misplacing' items, I love your lost items list.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Buen Camino
I found….. peace and contentment

I lost some clothes pins and one sock, but I reckon it was somebody else's doing!

Also: one sock! Maybe on future packing lists, it should not be socks (3 pairs), but socks (7).

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I don’t think I have lost anything on the Camino…… Yet 🫣
But on our way home in 2017 after we had done he home Camino SJPDP to Santiago, we lost a hole suitcase 🧳 or EasyJet lost it somehow. All our hiking gear, one of my friends credencial 😭 and some other souvenirs from Santiago got lost and was never found 😢

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I've left a charger in every socket on the CF. 😟Thank god for the Chinese Bazaars
I have grown to love the Chinese bazaars. When Decathlon was out of their cheapest hiking poles in Segovia a month ago when I arrived to walk the Madrid Way, I headed over to the nearest China bazaar and found what I needed...glad I am a one pole user though.😅

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Buen Camino

Buen Camino
I lost a long sleeved top but got it back a few days later from a pilgrim who put it in his pack by mistake. On another Camino I lost a clothesline- left it wrapped up in a blanket. Finally I left a pair of sunglasses in a restaurant and only realized it the next day.

Only thing I have really lost was my tiny, toy donkey - Paco.
Had clothespins stolen my 1st night at an albergue in Pamplona last year.
Forgot my phone cable and plug at Borda this year, but got it back 2 days later.

Believe it or not the thing I lost the most were the shampoo bottles. Seems that roughly every 3rd or 4th day somehow I would just leave it by the laundry area after I did my wash-du-jour. And off I'd go buy the 'next one' and ... its a vicious circle I tell ya!!!!!

The only other thing I LOST were the Dr. Scholtz insoles which I took out from the hiking boots to air out in Albergue Quatro Cantones and somehow failed to put them back in.... don't ask....
Otherwise - I 'left behind' 1 Darn Tough Sock and 1 Injiinji sock (both from different feet) at @arturo garcia s Albergue San Miguel. Would've made an interesting walk.... but Arturo, helpful as he is, found them and send them ahead to Molinaseca (where we were happily reunited)

reckon all-in-all I got off relatively painless

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Believe it or not the thing I lost the most were the shampoo bottles. Seems that roughly every 3rd or 4th day somehow I would just leave it by the laundry area after I did my wash-du-jour. And off I'd go buy the 'next one' and ... its a vicious circle I tell ya!!!!!
Thanks, CW! I appreciated and used all of the shampoo bottles you (and others) left behind...the Camino provides!😆

Hola - @MARSKA all i can say to your lost items is WOW!!! I think I am still in the same boat as @Robo,
I seem to do a double check of bunk and clothes lines before heading out.
It was always dark and usually raining when I left so although I did the best I could, it was difficult to do a thorough bunk check or a line check. Usually about half the dorm was awake and/or gone and the other half still in bed, so I was leaving with almost no light.
Which leads to another point - I stayed in dorms 90% of the time, so I had everything ready to go at night for the next morning - but there were always a few things I had to leave out of my pack until morning - clothes for the next day, toothbrush, cough drops, ear plugs, water, flip flops for the midnight run to the bathroom, sleeping bag & liner, phone & charger, anything that was still damp from the days wash or rain. etc. I found the "morning gathering up of things" problematic and I'm sure that's how items were left behind.
I'm curious about how other pilgrims handled this. I was envious of those who seemed to just "disappear" in the morning.

€60,-
Forgot my phone cable and plug at Borda this year, but got it back 2 days later.
Oh! I'm really sorry you lost Paco. But I believe Paco found a good home in the country where he belongs.

In the days not that long ago when Peregrinos waited for hours to get their Compostela while in the line at La Oficina de Peregrinos, I said to one of the Peregrinas with whom I repeatedly coincided with on the Camino, “I can’t believe you & I have the same buff, it’s my favorite and I lost it about one week ago”. She said, “I found it one week ago, so it must be yours”! What are the chances?

Attachments

• IMG_4824.jpeg
    IMG_4824.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 38
  • 261b19b4-656b-4874-b223-4df7f8724cb6.jpeg
    261b19b4-656b-4874-b223-4df7f8724cb6.jpeg
    100.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_4826.jpeg
    IMG_4826.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 38
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Buen Camino
I have this image of a pair of toesocks trudging along looking for company... well done, @MARSKA. From a brand new would-be pilgrim to an experienced one, your camino has brought light and delight as you have posted. I was trying to think about anything I lost. On the CF, in Burgos, stopping for breakfast and our last time with a lovely couple from the Basque country, my prescription glasses did not move on with me. Blind as a bat from then on! I now always travel with two pairs...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Lost only a soapbox on my CF in 2019!

On my CP this July I've found an Apple-headphone adaptor, a headlamp and a powerbank.
All while walking. Headlamp and powerbank was donated to the donationbox in the next albergue. The connector did resurface as I unpacked my b/p after I got home 😂

Buen Camino
That's a pretty good list, impressive! Here's mine: prescriptions glasses, fleece jacket, hat, hand painted camino t-shirt, rain parka, poles twice, many, many water bottles, yep I think yours is longer. But once I lost my prescription glasses, none of the other stuff really mattered!🤓

I didn't really lose things (permanently) , but I did break a water water bottle, (from then on I just buy a cheap one in Spain), gauged a groove across the lens of my sunglasses. Shrunk some socks. Tore my shorts pocket. Completely wore out a pair of flip flops - they were pretty old when I left.

Buen Camino
Forgot my cap in the dining room in albergue orion in castrojeritz. Irritated me to no end.
3 fast drying towels (3 different places on the same camino). A hiking pole. A hoodie. And the worst: my pilgrimpas in villafranca de bierzo. Luckily I had a spare to start over with.
But I've found so much more. 2 ponchos, gloves, hats, drinking bottles, a powerbank, hiking poles, one boot?
I actually found the boot owner. He had his boots strapped to his backpack and one fell off. I brought it to the next cafe planning to ditch it and the guy was sitting there with friends moaning over his loss.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Forgot my cap in the dining room in albergue orion in castrojeritz. Irritated me to no end.
3 fast drying towels (3 different places on the same camino). A hiking pole. A hoodie. And the worst: my pilgrimpas in villafranca de bierzo. Luckily I had a spare to start over with.
My goodness!...and my dad always told me that I would lose my head if it wasn't attached! 😂

I clearly wasn't trying hard enough!

I temporarily mislaid my credencial and Wise Pilgrim book at one place I stayed, but I had a pretty good idea where they might have gone, and the accommodation manager unearthed them (from the hammock in which they'd been bundled up the previous evening) and I rescued them the next morning.

I realised about 2/3 of the way through my Portuguese Camino that I no longer had a lightweight navy blue cotton cardigan. I suspect it may have been left on the back of a chair in a restaurant somewhere where I'd had dinner or a late lunch after showering and changing at my accommodation.

I get the impression that one buys more tickets into this particular lottery when staying in albergues with the whole trying to pack silently in the pitch black in a dorm game.

I am intrigued how someone can lose a single hiking boot (unless they were walking in their flipflops/sandals/crocs that day and the boots were dangling precariously by their laces from the outside of a backpack).

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I lost a pair of trekking poles and my favorite pair of Darn Tough socks. While I was berating myself over my lack of attention, my newly found Dutch friend told me she had lost a treasured cup. "But," she said, "Someone is going to be sooo happy when they find my cup. Oh, look what I found!" And that...changed my whole perspective...

Buen Camino
Yes you did! You’re a true pilgrim now!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I lost 180 pounds on my September 2023 Norte Camino…contacted a divorce lawyer from Santander! No pity, please, it was essential to reorganize the pack. I think I may have won the “heaviest thing lost” award.
Is this a typo? If not, the Norte is a much longer Camino than Irun to Santiago.😐 I've not heard of anyone losing so much weight even from Canterbury to Rome. Either way...good for you!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Buen Camino
I lost my favorite pair of Raider Shorts and about much needed 10 pounds of excess weight 👍

This isn't a 'event' I would want to win! Fortunately, my efforts so far have been remarkably uncompetitive compared to some others.
I was reflecting on this while reading some of the later contributions, and realised that I had lost something along the way when walking the Camino Portuguese that makes even @MARKSA's efforts seem insignificant. At breakfast one morning, I discovered that I couldn't find that elixir for true Australians and essential companion on all my pilgrimage walks. I had left my Vegemite at the hostel the day before!

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Buen Camino
My husband left his toiletries behind on the 2nd day. I lost my Oura ring on the 2nd to last day. Easy to buy a comb, toothbrush and toothpaste.

I lost 180 pounds on my September 2023 Norte Camino…contacted a divorce lawyer from Santander! No pity, please, it was essential to reorganize the pack. I think I may have won the “heaviest thing lost” award.
Yes, and dare I suggest perhaps the most useless item too?

Nothing like a decent walk to bring a little clarity….

I remember I was a day behind you and looked everywhere for Paco, with no luck. I’m sure a child acquired a beloved new little donkey that day! Buen Camino, Paco!! 🫏

But it was replaced from the freebie bin at an Albergue I recall.
So maybe that cancels it out ;)
If it weren't for the Lost and Found bins at Alberques, I would have been practically naked at the end of my walk. Talk about "living simply." I did manage to not lose the shorts and one tee shirt I mostly wore and my shoes. I got replacement shirts, hats, a microfiber towel, countless phone charging cords and adaptors (that all the rest of you lost) along the way. Once I left my fleece jacket and rain gear behind in Leon and one of the pack transport companies retrieved them and brought them ahead for me. Another time I had an albergue send all my clothes I left on the line ahead with a pilgrim behind me. I think I lost most of those things again later on. I had to retrace a couple of kilometers a couple of times to retrieve my Pacer Poles. Somehow, since I've been home, I managed to lose ONE of my Pacer Poles. The company graciously allowed me to buy one as a replacement. I promise I don't mean to sound like I'm bragging about any of this.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Buen Camino
I had the same problem on my first 2 Caminos
On the Portuguese Central from Lisbon (better to start at Tomar), I carried a laminated inventory list, packed everything in waterproof bags, checked my list when I unpacked and repacked and nothing on this trip. I made 2 copies of the inventory and brought both home.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I don't really consciously 'check'. It's more just a routine.

I don't carry any 'surplus' stuff, so if something is missing I notice right away.
Also, everything goes in the exact same place every day.
Clean socks and underwear etc in the red dry bag.
Clean pants, shirt in the yellow dry bag.
Washing stuff in the ziplock bag. etc etc

And as I pack. It's always the same sequence, to balance the pack.
Sleeping bag in the bottom, one sandal either side, yellow dry bag, red dry bag etc etc

So I'm really checking everything off as I pack.

Anything needed along the way goes in the pack top pocket, headlight, snacks, sheeps wool knife etc.

If I stop somewhere, hat goes into the top of the pack, gloves in hip belt pocket etc......
Braggart.

If it weren't for the Lost and Found bins at Alberques, I would have been practically naked at the end of my walk. Talk about "living simply." I did manage to not lose the shorts and one tee shirt I mostly wore and my shoes. I got replacement shirts, hats, a microfiber towel, countless phone charging cords and adaptors (that all the rest of you lost) along the way. Once I left my fleece jacket and rain gear behind in Leon and one of the pack transport companies retrieved them and brought them ahead for me. Another time I had an albergue send all my clothes I left on the line ahead with a pilgrim behind me. I think I lost most of those things again later on. I had to retrace a couple of kilometers a couple of times to retrieve my Pacer Poles. Somehow, since I've been home, I managed to lose ONE of my Pacer Poles. The company graciously allowed me to buy one as a replacement. I promise I don't mean to sound like I'm bragging about any of this.
Oh, really? 😇

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back