• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.
  • 20% off everything Altus the next few days at the Camino Forum Store. More here. (Discount taken at check out)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

what is the best walk to do for a first timer

stevie

Hi Folks
I am planning to do the camino in October for a week. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice. I am from Edinburgh. What would be the best route/walk to do? Thanks. A.M.D.G.!!!! Stevie

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
I was only able to do the camino in short stages too.

I suggest starting at the 'beginning' and maybe doing Roncesvalles to Logrono or St Jean de Pied Port to Pamplona.

I'm sure you will then get the camino bug and end up completing the whole route one way or another!

There are sevreal options of where to fly to but I'm not familiar as to where you can fly to cheaply from Edinburgh. If you can fly to Bilbao then there are good travel connections by bus from from both start and finish points.

Happy planning and buen camino!

Laura

Welcome to the forum Stevie.
If you are keen to get a Compostela then you need to walk the last 100kms to Santiago.

There are a few options for you. I would think the best place to fly to would be Santiago from where you can get a bus to your starting point. (You won't see the camino path from the bus window so it won't really be a retracing of a journey already done!)

Ferrol - 112 Camino Ingles
Lugo - 101 Camino Norte
Sarria - 114 Camino Frances
Muxia/Fisterra - 116 Fistera Way
Tui - 117 Portuguese Caminho
Ourense - 108 Silver Way

Good luck!

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
I finished my first camino on July 15th, I walked el Camino francés from Astorga to Santiago (270km) in 13 days, which meant about 20km a day. I still got a couple of blisters.. :( . I would suggest starting from Sarria (you can get there by train), so that you would get your compostela after having walked the last 100km. You could do it in 5 days and spend 1-2 days in Santiago (or visit Fisterra by bus afterwards). You can book your bed in the private albergues so that you can walk really slowly and enjoy. The last bit of the way consists of lovely woods and tiny villages.

Kaarina

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings fellow travelers, I am hoping to do my first international trip at 57 and solo to walk the Camino Primitivo in mid-July. I want to book the trip through either Santiago Ways or Camino...
Hello, my name is Wendy and I walked the Camino Primitivo in September 2022 and I’m planning to walk the full Camino Portugues from Lisbon to Santiago beginning September 7, 2024, in honor of my...
I'll be volunteering in Santiago July 01- July 15 this year with the Camino Companions who offer services for the English speaking pilgrims, announcements at mass, English Mass at the Pilgrim's...
Hello! I and my friend Cecilia will walk Camino Ingles with start 4th of October. We are so excited to our first but not last Camino. Buen Camino to all of you.
Hi my name is Bryce (Australian) and I’m doing the Camino Frances starting September 15. My wife is 57 years old and was born without her left thigh bone. She can wear a prosthetic leg for very...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.