• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wondering when is the best time to do Frances

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You’ll get a few different opinions on this, and there’s certainly no right answer. Each season brings its own charms. I can say that May and June are spectacular weather-wise, and in terms of flowers blooming. Some of the most incredible smells from flowering bushes for kilometres at a time along the CF in the late spring. And the fields in the central area - the meseta - are at their most beautiful. And didn’t encounter a single mosquito. So lots of good reasons to go in May/June.

As for crowds, it’s always crowded at this point, other than the winter months. But from early spring to late fall it’s crowded somewhere along the way. But that said it’s not a conga line by any stretch. I always found a bed, as did all the pilgrims, and I was able to walk in seclusion much of the time, which is what I was trying to do. “Crowded” is a relative term. If you have no previous caminos to compare it with then you aren’t likely to find it to be crowded.

Hi and welcome to the forum!

The "best time for walking" depends a lot on personal preference, which section you plan to walk, and what you consider crowded.

Personally, I prefer a summer start for the Francés, because from St. Jean on it is more quiet than for example in may or september, and there's no need to make reservations for beds. It only gets very busy in Galicia, but there are strategies how to still have an enjoyable walk there during high season. I love the spanish dry heat and the meseta in the baking sun, and the early morning starts, so for me a june/july/august Francés is a personal favourite.

Others prefer winter or very early spring / late fall.

With regard to crowds, the worst times to walk are the Francés from St. Jean in april/may and september, and the part in Galicia in july/august.

So, keep in mind, those sections have different high seasons.

Sarria-Santiago really is a giant conga line in july/august, but only if you stop at the popular "end of stage" towns and start walking early with the crowds. If you stay in smaller places inbetween and walk in the afternoon, it can still be a more quiet walk.

So it depends.

Have fun planning, and buen Camino :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I walked for the 4th time from SJPDP in January this year. Very fortunate with weather - two days of strong wind, one day of light rain, an hour or so of snow. Otherwise dry, mostly cool but occasionally warm. Seasonal albergue and bar closures meant some long stages but the quiet and solitude made that well worthwhile from my point of view.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
As for crowds, it’s always crowded at this point
This is absolutely untrue and displays a lack of knowledge of the length of the Camino and the different waves along its length.

Recently @peregrina2000 reported that a friend of hers who owns an albergue is thinking of closing at the moment because there are so few pilgrims.

I am walking at the moment and whenever I have asked an albergue owner if they are busy they have universally said "No".

Last edited:
This is absolutely untrue and displays a lack of knowledge of the length of the Camino and the different waves along its length.

Recently @peregrina2000 reported that a friend of hers who owns an albergue is thinking of closing at the moment because there are so few pilgrims.

I am walking at the moment and whenever I have asked an albergue owner if they are busy they have universally said "No".
As I stated, crowded is a relative term. People that have walked 5 or 10 years ago find it to be very crowded now compared to then. And a few weeks ago on the CF pretty much every place I stayed was full and I had to try several places to find a bed. There have been nights recently when pilgrims have had to sleep on the floor of the firehall in SJPDP because every bed was booked. I also think this is shaping up to be a record year for the number of people walking the CF. So some would consider it crowded now. And as I also stated, it's crowded "somewhere along the way", not everywhere along the way.
If you quote me then please read me, and avoid phrases like "absolutely untrue".

Last edited:
I humbly believe that May-June is the best time to do the Camino Frances. I did it in June and it was great.

The only drawback is that spring, like autumn, is a particularly rainy time in Spain. If you are lucky and it doesn't rain, spring is the best time.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi folks my wife and I are thinking of doing the Frances next year, we are wondering considering weather and crowds etcetera what's the best time of year, cheers
Michael

It really depends upon your preferences. A September start in SJPdP can have overwhelming numbers…no rooms/beds available. , depending on the date up to Pamplona and then an occasional town up to till Burgos. I have waited for 30+ minutes to order a refreshment at a food stop in Sept. September Temps can be very hot as well. Summer months are way too hot for me. If you don’t like crowds, go off season, perhaps in March, April. But the weather will include more rain and inclement weather. If you approach Sarria to SdC during Semana Santa it will be very crowded as well. Be Mindful when planning of Holidays like May 1, and October 12 (Hispanic Day) as well as Town /city Festivals such as Lgrono’s wine Festival the week around the feast of San Matteo. (Sep 21), or the two days, in the first weekend of June, when the town of Hospital de Órbigo revives the medieval traditions of a "Fiestas Históricas,”. Rooms are typically hard to come by then, so plan ahead for those days.

Last edited:
There have been nights recently when pilgrims have had to sleep on the floor of the firehall in SJPDP because every bed was booked
Would you please provide the dates when this occurred?

Inexperienced walkers make the mistake of thinking something that happened two months ago is still happening now. This year the numbers leaving St. Jean fell off in late May.

There is usually a bubble in May that seems to confuse people who haven't experienced it before. This year the bubble started earlier in April and ended earlier as well.

The reality is that during the Spring and Autumn peaks at St. Jean the numbers rise and fall quickly. Three weeks after a peak the numbers are noticeably less and five weeks later people wonder where the pilgrims are.

Right now there is no such excess demand at St. Jean as you have tried to imply.

You may have walked the Frances some weeks ago but I am on it now and I can tell you that as I travelled along talking to Albergue owners they have all said that they are not busy.

Of course, I know from experience that when I get to Sarria I will encounter a crowd. This crowd is likely also present on the other shorter walks such as the Ingles.

I am also interested in digging down into the details of your prediction that this year will be the largest numbers so far. Which Caminos do you think are contributing these numbers?

I was interested to see the comment from the person walking the Portuguese at the moment, he said that it was not busy at the moment and (presumably) in the area where he is at the moment.

Last edited:
Inexperienced walkers make the mistake of thinking something that happened two months ago is still happening now. This year the numbers leaving St. Jean fell off in late May.

There is usually a bubble in May that seems to confuse people who haven't experienced it before. This year the bubble started earlier in April and ended earlier as well.

The reality is that during the Spring and Autumn peaks at St. Jean the numbers rise and fall quickly. Three weeks after a peak the numbers are noticeably less and five weeks later people wonder where the pilgrims are.
I started a thread earlier this year that goes into this duality of the Camino Francés.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Just as a bit of a comparison, I started walking the Camino Madrid in early June and by the time I finished at SahagĂşn I had seen five other pilgrims including one where we purposely arranged to meet.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
It really depends upon your preferences. A September start in SJPdP can have overwhelming numbers…no rooms/beds available. , depending on the date up to Pamplona and then an occasional town up to till Burgos. I have waited for 30+ minutes to order a refreshment at a food stop in Sept. September Temps can be very hot as well. Summer months are way too hot for me. If you don’t like crowds, go off season, perhaps in March, April. But the weather will include more rain and inclement weather. If you approach Sarria to SdC during Semana Santa it will be very crowded as well. Be Mindful when planning of Holidays like May 1, and October 12 (Hispanic Day) as well as Town /city Festivals such as Lgrono’s wine Festival the week around the feast of San Matteo. (Sep 21), or the two days, in the first weekend of June, when the town of Hospital de Órbigo revives the medieval traditions of a "Fiestas Históricas,”. Rooms are typically hard to come by then, so plan ahead for those days.
Thank you for your detailed response appreciated

I walked Saria to SdC in September and weather wise it was v hot. Lots of pilgrims along the way which did not bother us, we only purposefully stayed away from the large and noisy groups preferring silence.

We pre-booked B&Bs and did not stay at albergues and had no issues there. I was unwell after my first day and had to stay in Portomarin for longer than planned and even then had no issue finding accommodation.

Do your research before you go and buen camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I just finished the Frances, Astorga to SdC. Beginning in Sarria we encountered a lot of Spanish families. I enjoyed seeing the groups from 6yr to 70+yr all walking together. They were mixed in what accommodations they stayed in, but we never found it difficult to find a place to stay, we did not book in advance. Weatherwise, I think we only had 1 day where it was above 80 degrees. Most days, we woke in the 50s and ended in low 70s. Now.....the mosquitos ate us up at night, they sound like drones and they approach and it didn't make for a restful few evenings. Next time, we shut the windows BEFORE the sun goes down.

Bob

I just finished the Frances, Astorga to SdC. Beginning in Sarria we encountered a lot of Spanish families. I enjoyed seeing the groups from 6yr to 70+yr all walking together. They were mixed in what accommodations they stayed in, but we never found it difficult to find a place to stay, we did not book in advance. Weatherwise, I think we only had 1 day where it was above 80 degrees. Most days, we woke in the 50s and ended in low 70s. Now.....the mosquitos ate us up at night, they sound like drones and they approach and it didn't make for a restful few evenings. Next time, we shut the windows BEFORE the sun goes down.

Bob
Thanks Bob we take reppelant hey

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi, Michael, I’m writing from just past Astorga on July 18. I have not had a drop of rain in two weeks of walking the Frances. Many days it gets hot after about 1:00 PM, but surprisingly often it stays cool all day. Mornings range from comfortably cool to downright chilly. I have stayed in albergues and have never had to prebook. My bag has only very light clothing and so is very light. So I vote for a summer Camino, but whatever you choose I hope it is as amazing as it has been for me. Buen Camino!

Hi, Michael, I’m writing from just past Astorga on July 18. I have not had a drop of rain in two weeks of walking the Frances. Many days it gets hot after about 1:00 PM, but surprisingly often it stays cool all day. Mornings range from comfortably cool to downright chilly. I have stayed in albergues and have never had to prebook. My bag has only very light clothing and so is very light. So I vote for a summer Camino, but whatever you choose I hope it is as amazing as it has been for me. Buen Camino!
Thank you for that info hope you continue to enjoy your journey buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back