• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What to choose? Advice needed!

langaragal

Hi,
im 19 year old college student traveling with my 18 year old sister, both from BC, Canada. We dont have alot of time from me leaving school to my due date at work. Basically our plan is to leave the beginning in May and return after 21 days ish. We would like to do the hike in hopes to experience different cultures and see some history while hopefully meeting some new people along the way. We dont want to be in hordes but we dont really want to be walking alone the whole trip.

Ive been looking in to el camino del norte. Our plan was to fly to Bilbao and walk/bus(when really needed to), and when it came time to go home, catch a bus/train back to Bilbao to go home. It was then brought to my attention that just because its Spain dosent mean it will be sunny and dry. Im worried that the weather will be a lil too much like back home in the spring, warmish with a sweater and lightly raining. Its not that bad but i was looking forward to the sun. Can someone advise more about the weather on this route in May?

Im now looking into Via de la Plata, more because it was recommended by family friends. The weather seems great! Nice and warm! However not as well traveled i believe? I havent put as much research into this one yet but i believe i would get to Merida and start from there. Too long for my time limit? Also is there much local transit between towns?

Also, does anyone know where i can get a pilgrimage passport for either of these locations?

As i would like to make the most of this trip and am having a hard time deciding. im just wondering if anyone has some pros or cons or suggestions.

Thank you so much in advance for any help provided!

Tara

Tara

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Tara =

Welcome to the forum!

The Via de la Plata is a wonderful route! Starting from Merida and walking to Santiago would take about 30 days (leaving no time for rest, illness/blisters, etc.), and I recommend you factor a few days in for that. If you still want to start in Merida and take the bus for certain stretches, of course you could do it in 21 days. The bus system in Spain is very good and it shouldn't be difficult. Remember you can't take the bus for the last 100 km if you want a compostela. Also there are two endings to the VDLP - southern route from Ourense to Santiago and the northern route which joins the Camino Frances at Astorga.

Have a look at planning walking stages at http://www.godesalco.com/plan/plata and for a more visual planner - http://www.mundicamino.com. And for more information on the routes see http://www.csj.org.uk.

You can get your credecial before you leave home, and that will take the hassle ouf of worrying about it. Contact the Canadian Company of pilgrims at http://www.santiago.ca and go to the Membership page, where there's a form to complete and send in.

The VDLP can be very very hot in May and then cooler and rainy once you enter Galicia.
The Norte is further north and cooler and can be rainier but not necessarily so.

Everyone here on the forum is very helpful and many have walked these routes multiple times so you will get much more advice and information.

Best of luck with your planning and buen camino!

lynne

Tara...welcome to the Forum!

Lynne has provided you solid info on the key considerations for the routes you've shown an interest in walking.

May I suggest that you scan the info contained in the Pilgrim FAQ (upper right)and also check the Class of 2010 to see who may be walking the Camino at the same time.

Again...welcome and Buen Camino,

Arn

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I don't think there is any chance that you will be "alone" on any route this May. I think they will all be crowded then. I would guess (just a guess) that the Via de la Plata would have less people than the Camino del Norte though. I'm not sure if your goal is to arrive in Santiago or not. If not, you could walk from Sevilla to Salamanca or Zamora. From either of those two cities it is a fairly short bus ride to Madrid for a return flight.

It is also possible to go through Portugal on the Via de la Plata.

Why not think about starting from Zamora? It should be possible to make it to Santiago in 3 weeks if you are reasonably fit. I walked this in the autumn (staying in Spain via Ourense) and it was very good.

Enjoy planning!

Andy

We cycled some of the Norte in late Sept early October and it was warm and sunny. Sweater for tops of mountains and fast downhills only. I would think May would be fine and sunny, if not burning hot. I believe the Via de la Plata would be likely to have some very hot days in May.
best wishes for your planning
Bridget

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Tara - All of these starting places are great. Whichever route you walk, and wherever you start, I promise you that it will be the adventure of your lives!

I am also flying from Canada and starting in Merida or thereabouts (next year). If you choose the VDLP, there are a lot of choices to get there and I've just been researching them:

1. Fly to London, budget airline (Ryanair) to Madrid, or Lisbon, bus to Merida or Zamora
2. Fly to Madrid and bus to Merida or Zamora
3. Fly to Lisbon, bus to Merida or Zamora (this bus is about $45 CAD)

There are a number of other combinations, but these are the ones I'm currently looking at. Thing with Ryanair to remember is it does not fly out of Heathrow so you have to get to Gatwick Airport (3 hours away and a charge), plus Ryanair advertises impossibly low prices but then adds a whole raft of extra charges. It still might be worthwhile, but you really have to check them.

The combinations for getting to El Norte will depend on where you want to start - this route also takes about 30 days so you can select a more suitable starting point if you want to look at this choice.

Just another note: if you live near the border, you might investigate flying out of the US. There are often more choices and fares.

Keep us up to date on your plans! Good luck!

lynne

Hi Tara,
Your langaragal name makes me think you are in Vancouver or at least the Lower Mainland. You might be interested to know that there is a meeting of the Lower Mainland chapter of the Canadian Company of Pilgrims on March 6th. Leigh, who is leading the meeting has walked the Camino Frances a couple of times and the Via de la Plata. There will be others there who have done other routes as well.
As well, there are dozens of people who live in the area, including myself who have walked one or more routes so if you wanted to get together with someone to talk about the walk just put the word out here and you'll probably get several responses. I'd be happy to meet you somewhere if you like but I'd really recommend the meeting - even if your plans are all finalized by then.
Cecelia

Thank you to EVERYONE that has replied! You all have helped me SO incredibly much i dont know what i would have done without you! Im excited to stay that i will be flying into Madrid May 3rd and am totally excited!

Again i cant thank everyone enough. :D

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Tara,
Which route have you decided on?
B
x

We're going to be doing the Via de la Plata starting in Merida. Its not realistic for us to walk the whole thing so we will have to bus here and there at the beginning making sure to walk the last 100km. Im still researching but it feels so good to at least have an idea of what the plan is and of course the tickets in hand!

Tara

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back