• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What would a mid March Le Puy start look like

shefollowsshells

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Several alone and with children
I am planning on doing the Le Puy (or even an slight earlier starting point) to Finesterre next September with three of my children.
HOWEVER an adoption that we were months away from completing has just fallen thru leaving me a little extra funds and a heart to heal...I'm thinking about maybe doing a Le Puy camino by myself starting in Mid March (hubby might join me for the SJJP part or even the Burgos part) . I have to be back in the States by May 21.
I typically do longer days then the average pilgrim, and only have one Camino under my belt (SJJP to Finesterre and Muxia last year).

I know this past March going over the Pyreneese was bad weather wise...I wondered is Le Puy comparable to that or might the the conditions be better then the Pyreneese? If I do this I would be leaving on March 15 or 16th.

Thanks in advance,
N

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am planning on doing the Le Puy (or even an slight earlier starting point) to Finesterre next September with three of my children.
HOWEVER an adoption that we were months away from completing has just fallen thru leaving me a little extra funds and a heart to heal...I'm thinking about maybe doing a Le Puy camino by myself starting in Mid March (hubby might join me for the SJJP part or even the Burgos part) . I have to be back in the States by May 21.
I typically do longer days then the average pilgrim, and only have one Camino under my belt (SJJP to Finesterre and Muxia last year).

I know this past March going over the Pyreneese was bad weather wise...I wondered is Le Puy comparable to that or might the the conditions be better then the Pyreneese? If I do this I would be leaving on March 15 or 16th.

Thanks in advance,
N

So sorry to hear your adoption fell through. This upcoming March will be my first camino so I can't answer your question but there have been discussions previously regarding Le Puy in March. If you look through the previous posts under this question you should find some answers to help you. Wishing you all the very best.
Buen Camino.

Seasons vary from year to year, but mid-March could be tricky from Le Puy. Some years it has been hard to start walking even at the beginning of April because of snow covering the route. There are several high altitude segments on the Le Puy walk. I've put in an altitude profile from Le Puy to show this: several times you walk at 100om or above, and it takes two days to cross the Aubrac Plateau. (You can check out the profiles at http://www.godesalco.com/plan/podense )

Last year I descended to St Chely d'Aubrac - after the Aubrac Plateau- on Friday 11 May, and it was a hot day. But I was amazed to be told that just two weeks previously, near the end of April, snow had been two feet deep in the town. So it must have been pretty much impassable that day on the Aubrac Plateau.

In 2008 I left from Le Puy mid-April, and I struck snow twice- once at Montbonnet and again at Les Faux. It was bitterly cold when I crossed the Aubrac Plateau, but I missed snow there- it snowed the day after I had descended.

However, having said all that, a few people do walk in March.
Margaret

from Le Puy.jpg .

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Like anywhere, the weather can be great or terrible that time of year in France.Before I go I usually check the long range forecasts they are usually pretty accurate & kit out accordingly........:).......Vicrev

I think this is a feasible trip for you, if you prepare for foul weather and remain flexible. You will be at elevation (near 4000 ft) for most of the way from Le Puy past Conques, so that's the first ten days of the route. You might be lucky and the route is open. If you find the weather is forbidding, you could pick up the route at Figeac (which has transit connections) as the elevation is lower from there on (less than 2000 ft). Adequate kit would include merino long underwear, a fleece jacket, gloves, fleece hat, and rain jacket - rain pants - pack cover combination in preference to a poncho. Plus maybe a vacuum flask for hot liquids. So this will be a heavier pack by 2kg than usual.

Some gites will be open - I would carry a MMD and call 3-4 days in advance to ensure lodgings were open. I would not imagine the transport service will be operating that time of year. I would practice my French, so you can ask the gite owners to check the weather forecast, call ahead for reservations, and check whether shops will be open. It is likely to be a solitary walk - which might be just what you are looking for at this point in your life.

So, in summary: it's certainly something you can manage, if you are careful and realistic.

Expect the worst, be prepared for it then if you are lucky and get good weather enjoy.:)

Good lucky.

Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We started in LePuy on April. 30, 2004 and went to Figeac. It was incredibly beautiful (one of my favorite Camino sections) with daffodils all over, but rained pretty much every day. Snowed a couple of inches in Aubruc (photo). We felt we were prepared for it because we had down jackets, good raingear, and sleeping bags. Trail markings (at that time--don't know if they have improved or not) disappeared when the fence markings, etc. were covered with snow. One woman became disoriented and lost on the trail and was so frightened by the experience that she left the trail. Bottom line, I would only do it if you are prepared for plenty of rain and some snow.
2004-04-30-4-scanned12aubrac.jpg

We started in LePuy on April. 30, 2004 and went to Figeac. It was incredibly beautiful (one of my favorite Camino sections) with daffodils all over, but rained pretty much every day. Snowed a couple of inches in Aubruc (photo). We felt we were prepared for it because we had down jackets, good raingear, and sleeping bags. Trail markings (at that time--don't know if they have improved or not) disappeared when the fence markings, etc. were covered with snow. One woman became disoriented and lost on the trail and was so frightened by the experience that she left the trail. Bottom line, I would only do it if you are prepared for plenty of rain and some snow.
View attachment 6399

A map & compass comes in handy when there is snow. I know......I know...... someone will say a GPS............ I´m old, I prefer the compass & map.;)

Buen Camino!

[quote="shefollowsshells, post: 162520, member: 30121"
I know this past March going over the Pyreneese was bad weather wise...I wondered is Le Puy comparable to that or might the the conditions be better then the Pyreneese? If I do this I would be leaving on March 15 or 16th.[/quote]
Hi,
I left Le Puy on April 2nd this past spring. I did run into snow for a few days around Domaine du Sauvage and certainly it was pretty chilly on the plateau. A bigger problem for me however was the amount of water underfoot. I spent several days walking through water for much of the day and my gortex, 'waterproof' boots were definitely not up to the task so my feet were wet all day for about 4 days. However, I did have wonderful woolen socks on so that although wet, my feet were warm- a real bonus.
You MAY find that some places are not open much before Easter (April 20 2014) so definitely check ahead of time as Kitsambler said. I left right after the early Easter of 2013 and found the gites were quite crowded, but people were saying some were closed before that. Some are definitely open all year. I found Miam, Miam Dodo's information to be mostly correct. There were about 40 people walking on my days that we saw regularly, plus a couple of groups, but I think those numbers were specifically about the unusual Easter dates.

It rained and snowed for the first 10 days, my boots leaked and my Altus was useless, but the walk was BEAUTIFUL!! The plateau is amazing in that weather - stark and dramatic in some spots. Check out the picture below if you're interested.
I'm so sorry to hear about the adoption falling through.
Buen camino - may it help to heal the hole in your heart.

Attachments

• just after Domaine du Sauvage.JPG
    just after Domaine du Sauvage.JPG
    180.4 KB · Views: 22
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Cecelia and Susan,
Thanks for sharing those snow photos. I love seeing the route like that!
Margaret

Margaret,
And thanks to you for your blog which I read carefully before leaving!

The snow was truly beautiful to walk in. I was thinking more about a March camino though and remembering that I was watching the weather forecast for the Aumont- Aubrac area during the month of March this year. The forecasts were for cold temperatures (well below freezing but the part that made me nervous was that the winds were reportedly very high up to 40 and 50 km per hour) bringing the felt temperature down to 30 degrees below zero or more. Fortunately I never experienced that as it may have made walking impossible for those days. It is certainly something to keep in mind for the early months of the year.

Yes, I don't think the crossing of the Aubrac Plateau should ever be underestimated. I've had the joy of seeing it twice now, under totally different conditions. Mid-April 2008 it was bitterly cold and raining hard. I stopped at Rieutort d'Aubrac for the night, feeling very cold and saturated. Next day the mist was very thick, and I was advised to take the road rather than the chemin for Aubrac, and once I started climbing I mostly only had a few metres visibility. Then last year early May I struck really fine hot weather for the crossing, and had magnificent views. It was one of those 'pinch yourself' moments as I saw all the beauty that had been hidden in mist on my previous walk.
Margaret

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My wife and I are planning to start from Le Puy towards the end of April next year, and continue on to Santiago. It seems, from what I am reading, that the weather could be winter like at the outset, and then will probably be broiling hot at the end. Interesting challenge. Thanks to all for the great input.

John

It might be quite changeable John. Starting mid-April in 2008, I struck it quite cold and wet to start with, but a week after some snow, I was walking in 30+C and struggling in the heat. But then it cooled right back down again, with only one more 'hot spot' before I reached Spain. This past year the weather remained 'awful' right through most of June- but some other years it warms up sooner. So you just never know! But once you have descended from the Aubrac Plateau, your 'cold' days won't have the same 'severity'.
Margaret

Hi Margaret,

I am sure there will be more questions as I get further into the planning mode. Thanks for the information to date, and for your very informative and well written blog. It is very helpful.

John

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
March
high avg low
1 53 38 24
2 48 36 23
3 59 41 23
4 51 46 41
5 50 47 44
6 50 48 46 Rain
7 60 50 41 Rain
8 53 48 42 Rain
9 55 47 39 Rain
10 55 44 33 Rain Tstm
11 53 44 35 Rain
12 42 36 28 Rain
13 32 29 26 Snow
14 35 30 26 Rain
15 41 32 23
16 50 37 24 Rain
17 48 44 37 Rain
18 41 37 33 Rain
19 48 40 33
20 48 42 37 Rain
21 59 46 32 Fog
22 62 50 37
23 51 46 42 Fog, Rain
24 55 50 44 Rain, Tstm
25 51 44 37 Fog
26 55 45 35 Fog
27 59 44 30
28 50 46 42 Rain
29 59 48 37 Fog , Rain
30 50 46 41 Fog , Rain
31 48 42 33
It will be colder in Aumont and Aumont-Aubrac than Rodez. Unfortunately, Rodez is the nearest reporting station for the highest, coldest stretch of the Chemin du Puy.

Bon chemin.

What a WONDERFUL Le Puy family there is on the board!
Thank you to all who took the time to give such wonderful information. I'll be honest I think I'm afraid of a March Le Puy :)...and it will just have to wait for my sons and me in the Fall 2014.
My day has spent studying flights for a Frances for my hubby and me if he can pull of getting out of work that long.
Then it will be in about five months for Le Puy and Frances. Next year sounds like something to look forward to.

Thanks guys and gals!
You all are the greatest!
N

Do what you are comfortable with,when a walk turns into an endurance test it isn't much fun,March is usually lousy weather,believe me !!...........:).......Vicrev

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
N, I walked out of Le Puy around the 25th of March. The Aubrac plateau was brutal but beautiful. Oddly, some of the worst weather came in May, as I was wanting to get to Pamplona from SJPD (which I eventually did). All I can say is, I'd do it all again...but probably no earlier than late March.

Ultreia

Rob

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back