• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

what's in the great dome of the cathedral?

kolja

I recently visited the cathedral of the Saint james in SdC. impressive! but what is the painting of a pyramid and eye about? easily found in the apex of the great dome, watching out over everything that happens in it.
I have never associated this with catholic images.
if anyone has any thoughts on this an answer would be appreciated.
thanks!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

I have to admit I have not noticed it in Santiago but, assuming it's an eye in a triangle, it's a very common Christian image generally called the Eye of Providence. The all-seeing eye is widely found in other religions, for example in Buddhism, and dates back at least to the Egyptians. In Christian art it's generally associated with a triangle, representing the Trinity.

The association specifically with a pyramid is best known from the Great Seal of the USA and also the dollar bill.

See, for example, wikipedia's page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_of_Providence

Most read last week in this forum