Search 62305 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

what's in the great dome of the cathedral?

kolja

I recently visited the cathedral of the Saint james in SdC. impressive! but what is the painting of a pyramid and eye about? easily found in the apex of the great dome, watching out over everything that happens in it.
I have never associated this with catholic images.
if anyone has any thoughts on this an answer would be appreciated.
thanks!

Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.
Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.
kolja said:
I recently visited the cathedral of the Saint james in SdC. impressive! but what is the painting of a pyramid and eye about? easily found in the apex of the great dome, watching out over everything that happens in it.
I have never associated this with catholic images

I have to admit I have not noticed it in Santiago but, assuming it's an eye in a triangle, it's a very common Christian image generally called the Eye of Providence. The all-seeing eye is widely found in other religions, for example in Buddhism, and dates back at least to the Egyptians. In Christian art it's generally associated with a triangle, representing the Trinity.

The association specifically with a pyramid is best known from the Great Seal of the USA and also the dollar bill.

See, for example, wikipedia's page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_of_Providence

Most read last week in this forum

An interesting article about Santiago. https://www.caminosantiago.org/cpperegrino/prensa/verprensa.asp?PrensaID=18585&fbclid=IwAR1cHH6Ix71cm8xRC4oJEeRgzqXuXRBSYUWZNkfHsX0EB_bsW4soUbQRXjs
Is it my imagination or is there not an announcement before the Pilgrim Masses at the Cathedral asking people NOT to take photos or videotape - which would include the swinging of the Botafumeiro?
The pilgrim office website is currently showing a total of 4,108 Compostelas issued today. That may not even be the final figure for the day. In the year I walked my first Camino there were 4,918...

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon