• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

When is the snow gone on the San Salvador?

tomoski

Time of past OR future Camino
I’ll be starting my second Camino in April 2024. I am considering the San Salvador as one of the routes to walk. What is the suggested earliest start date for the San Salvador? Thank you!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
There is just no way to predict, but I think it is common for there to be some snowpack there in April. I know several who have encountered serious storms in April, and in May, so paying close attention to the weather is obviously essential. The hospitalera in La Robla will have good up to date information, and Cuñarro/Ender responds frequently to weather questions on facebook. Both for the Salvador and the Olvidado, on the Camino facebook groups.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I’ll be starting my second Camino in April 2024. I am considering the San Salvador as one of the routes to walk. What is the suggested earliest start date for the San Salvador? Thank you!

The San Salvador in February, 2020 (3rd week to be exact) was completley dry and snow-free. Evening temps near freezing and morning frost on trails. Beautiful, solitary walk with albergues open and available. Winters overall have been warmer and drier these past few years.

https://www.aemet.es/en/serviciosclimaticos/datosclimatologicos/valoresclimatologicos is a good resource for likely snow seasons, and all the other climatological data but realistically you should check forecasts and reports a week before your trip and have Plan B for if things are a bit to rough out there.

While Aemet will provide you with what has happened in the past we are into a period of rapid climate change. I've walked in the Picos de Europa in April and I've been denied the same route in June. We can all plan and all hope but next week is the best prediction you are going to get

There is just no way to predict, but I think it is common for there to be some snowpack there in April. I know several who have encountered serious storms in April, and in May, so paying close attention to the weather is obviously essential. The hospitalera in La Robla will have good up to date information, and Cuñarro/Ender responds frequently to weather questions on facebook. Both for the Salvador and the Olvidado, on the Camino facebook groups.
Thank you.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
hi Irishdancer,
I planned 6 days of walking. I start at the Hotel Santiago Léon, a bit outside of town, on the first day, to shorten the stage to La Robla, hopefully about 24 km.
2d day from La Robla to Poladura de la Tercia, 24 km
3d day Poladura to Llanos de Someron, 19 km
4d day Llanos to Pola de Lena, 18 km
5d day Pola to El Rollu, 18 km
6d day El Rollu to Oviedo, 15 km.
Fairly short stages, but it is mountainous and I want to take my time enjoying the views. Hope I have no snow or fog :)
After that I'm planning to walk the invierno.

Happy planning!
Martine

hi Irishdancer,
I planned 6 days of walking. I start at the Hotel Santiago Léon, a bit outside of town, on the first day, to shorten the stage to La Robla, hopefully about 24 km.
2d day from La Robla to Poladura de la Tercia, 24 km
3d day Poladura to Llanos de Someron, 19 km
4d day Llanos to Pola de Lena, 18 km
5d day Pola to El Rollu, 18 km
6d day El Rollu to Oviedo, 15 km.
Fairly short stages, but it is mountainous and I want to take my time enjoying the views. Hope I have no snow or fog :)
After that I'm planning to walk the invierno.

Happy planning!
Martine
Thanks for your reply - and sharing your stages. Good idea about shortening the length of the first day to Robla. After Oviedo and a day of rest I will meet a friend for the Primitivo.
Hopefully by taking it a little slower on the SS I’ll be ready for that! Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Nothing wrong with any of these stages, but I think most Salvador veterans will agree with my opinion that the Pajares municipal albergue, and the Bendueños donativo albergue are both superb. Marisa in Pajares and Sandra in Bendueños fit into the category of “camino angels.” Both places are between Poladura and Llanos de Somerón (whose albergue also gets very good reviews), so the locations are not ideal. You can’t do it all, of course, but the hospitality at these places, especially in Bendueños with a meal cooked by Sandra, views from the balcony, a visit to the church, make it a very wonderful experience.

Too many good options on the Salvador!

Nothing wrong with any of these stages, but I think most Salvador veterans will agree with my opinion that the Pajares municipal albergue, and the Bendueños donativo albergue are both superb. Marisa in Pajares and Sandra in Bendueños fit into the category of “camino angels.” Both places are between Poladura and Llanos de Somerón (whose albergue also gets very good reviews), so the locations are not ideal. You can’t do it all, of course, but the hospitality at these places, especially in Bendueños with a meal cooked by Sandra, views from the balcony, a visit to the church, make it a very wonderful experience.

Too many good options on the Salvador!
I second what peregrina2000 said 100%!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

(Soon-) Live from the Camino del Salvador - starting end of April 24. We are currently on the Camino de Invierno around 43km before reaching Santiago - from there we will catch a bus to Leon to...
First time posting Live? Left León at 8am. Arrived at Cabanillas 2. The path is very beautiful. 20km total. Followed the River. At first town we went to the lovely Bar and Tienda. I bought cheese...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back