• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

When the nature calls & water situation

Holly5L

Time of past OR future Camino
(2015)
Hi all,

I couldn't find any information on bathroom situation along the camino. Is there any restriction or things to note if there aren't public facilities (or are there frequently?)? What do the peregrinos do?

Also, what is the best way to replenish water supply? Portable fountain water or buy water bottles? If latter, are there stores selling water frequent enough?

Thanks much!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
There are plenty of bars or stores along the way. I always purchased something while using the restroom as a show of appreciation however if you must go outside leave nothing behind and you'll be doing better than most . We used many of the outdoor water supplies with no problems and I always filled my water bladder in the morning at the place I stayed the night before. I have to admit by noon I was ready for a beer or at least a orange soda but I highly recommend a water bladder.

Last edited:
Plenty of water fountains along the way , no need to buy water bottles (and I guess there's some environmental reasons to stick to tap and fountain water). Only if there is a sign 'Aqua no potable' the water is not suited for human consumption.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi all,

I couldn't find any information on bathroom situation along the camino. Is there any restriction or things to note if there aren't public facilities (or are there frequently?)? What do the peregrinos do?

Also, what is the best way to replenish water supply? Portable fountain water or buy water bottles? If latter, are there stores selling water frequent enough?

Thanks much!
Prior to my first Camino I was advised by a former pilgrim to use bottled water only and not to trust the fountains.As I got to SJPDP late,and set off early,there was nowhere to buy water,so I had to fill up at the first fountain.I never bought bottled water again until Santiago.Buen Camino.

Please don't buy bottled water. It is unnecessary as you can safely refill your non-plastic water bottle at many fountains and faucets safely.
Disposable bottles are one of the major litter problems along the Camino.

Holly, I start my first Camino in September. Believe the others regarding the availability of drinking water. I have been made to understand it is readily available. The only place I have heard that you may need to pack several bottles is on the first day on the Route de Napoleon. Some friends of mine hiked that route and elected to not refill their water bottles at what turned out to be the only fountain (because there was a line). They suffered. With regard to the "bathroom situation", there are some rules to please follow in the wild: 1) Pack out all your paper, 2) bury your solid waste so natural soil bacteria can degrade it, 3) find a spot sufficiently away from the path, from buildings, from water. Please preserve the environment for all to enjoy. No worries. Mooncat

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
In May we had no trouble with water. Water fountains everywhere, and you can always refill your bottle at the albergues.
For bathroom, we used the cafes along the way. If you listen to your body well, you will not have issues with that. But as mooncat said, if you use nature as a toilet, remember to carry your papers with you and bury your stuff! :D

There seems to be a clear consensus! This will definitely help me plan things well :) Thanks all for the input!!

This depends on which Camino you are doing. Frances? Plenty of opportunities to refil alomg the way except in a few stretches: uphill, and down, from SJPP ro Romcesvalles, Navarete to Najera and on the meseta on the 17km stretch, although I have seen a vending truck. Other Caminos, you may have to plan more. This June I had to give one of my 2 bottles to someone at the start of the descent from the Hospitales route. Norte will also have fewer fountains and bara. Fhe website Forwalk tells you where water is available.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
This depends on which Camino you are doing. Frances? Plenty of opportunities to refil alomg the way except in a few stretches: uphill, and down, from SJPP ro Romcesvalles, Navarete to Najera and on the meseta on the 17km stretch, although I have seen a vending truck. Other Caminos, you may have to plan more. This June I had to give one of my 2 bottles to someone at the start of the descent from the Hospitales route. Norte will also have fewer fountains and bara. Fhe website Forwalk tells you where water is available.
Hi @Anemone del Camino, Camino de Finisterre. Any pointer there?

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
This was a topic I was concerned with, no, not the water issue.
When I go on a long walk or skiing for the day, I have my breakfast in the morning and hang around until things work, then a leave for the trail. I would feel terrible if I had to “facilitate” along the way just off the trail. But, I’m sure these things happen and as someone said early remember to carry your papers with you and bury your stuff.. I'm now thinking that a small shovel would be in order. Men, one more thing to carry...

I have my breakfast in the morning and hang around until things work, then a leave for the trail.
This is what I have learned to do, and do so even if it means I leave a bit later than others. Same after the first coffee of the morning: I wait at the bar.

Thank you for the specific places where fresh water is limited. Very helpful information.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Camino de Finisterre. Any pointer there?

I don't recall any problems with getting water whilst walking to Finisterre except the long stretch to Cee from Hospital, there is nothing there for about 14k. The last bar there does point out it is the last....so make sure you stop for some food and drink if you need to.
Also on 16th August, most bars/shops after Santiago happened to be closed, it is the villages Saint's day (St Roque if Iremember rightly...).
Buen camino, it's a lovely walk :)

Christian H, no need to carry a shovel: the world has given us poop bags for pets. bring a supply for your 'pet perigrino'. Individually, they weigh nothing at all and a months supply still very little. Then simply 'pick it up' and carry to the next bin. Yes I know it's no particularly pleasant, but you get used to it, just as I did picking up my dogpoop. however it also VERY unpleasant if others later walk in your mess.
My dad (a butcher) had a saying: "It's only poop; nothing a bucket of water won't wash off."

I had a bad stomach on one stretch which necessitated dashes into the undergrowth but I was careful not to leave paper and to cover up the evidence. We did come across places which were littered with bits of loo paper on full view, very unpleasant and very thoughtless.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
RE: Water. I carried two 650 ml, about 24 oz x 2, or 48 oz total) Nalgene water bottles daily and refilled whenever possible. Never ran out of water.

RE: Facilities
As far as the facilities go, I often had to duck away slightly off the trail to "use the facilities" and always ALWAYS used personal wipes, which I stored the used ones into a plastic baggie to dispose of appropriately later on, NEVER leaving my trash behind and I also tried to bury any waste wherever possible, or at the very least cover it up with nearby leaves, twigs, pine needles, etc. Thankfully, I never had a problem with privacy or cleanliness or littering...I've heard stories about the Camino being littered with toilet paper and human waste, and I sincerely hope I never have to experience that disgusting reality. Once, on ym trail, there was this one guy that chose to stop and pee in my view, even though he and his female companion saw me coming. The disgusting asshole didn't even bother to go off the trail or wait until I passed. Very rude and inconsiderate, if you ask me.

I don't recall any problems with getting water whilst walking to Finisterre except the long stretch to Cee from Hospital, there is nothing there for about 14k. The last bar there does point out it is the last....so make sure you stop for some food and drink if you need to.
Also on 16th August, most bars/shops after Santiago happened to be closed, it is the villages Saint's day (St Roque if Iremember rightly...).
Buen camino, it's a lovely walk :)
Thanks @domigee. I'm surprised to hear that there is no fountain between Hospital & Cee. According to this site, there are 2 fountains in between. I'm glad you brought it up! Does anyone know of spot-on resource??
http://santiago.forwalk.org/en/trail/epilogue-to-fisterra/stage/olveiroa-fisterra/

The fuente at As Agulleiras is extremely popular with locals. You will be passed by pop-pop motorcycles with 25l canisters on the pillion as well as occasional cars and pick-ups. The Fuente is to the left of the Capella which sits to the right of and a little above the Way, there is also what looks rather like a Band-stand clearly visible from the trail. The water is cool and delicious and is also considered to have healing qualities, particularly for the feet, which after 15k of rough stone track is welcome. I'm not aware of a fuente at Os Camino Chans but there are several bar / cafes where you can grab a top-up.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am so sorry I panicked you, just shows memory plays tricks :oops: I can't remember any fountains nor indeed any locals, I was on my own the whole way. But it wasn't an issue as the weather was very cool.
My apologies.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back