where do I start

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

wayfarer

Veteran Member
Aug 24, 2008
Co. Clare. Ireland
Time of past OR future Camino
2012, 2013, 2014.
Hi Lisa, it depends on whether you want a compostella at the end of your Camino or not, ie do you want to finish in Santiago. If so then Sarria to Santiago is a good Camino for you. Also the Ingles Camino but I have no information on that one. If you are fit then the Sarria Camino would not be a problem for you and is a beautiful walk. Many people fly in to Santiago, bus to Sarria and walk to Santiago, then fly out again a week later. Whichever one you decide on enjoy and Buen Camino.

Reactions: Lisa Tough

Felipe

Veteran Member
Mar 28, 2009
Mexico
My (un)scientific opinion is that most walkers do around 25 km per day, average. It depends, also, on the season (meaning, the weather).
As above mentioned, if you want the famous compostela, just see one of many guides available online, and estimate by yourself your distance and starting point.
On the other side, you can start in Saint Jean Pied de Port or Roncesvalles, walk as far as you like in the very pleasant Navarre country, without the constraints of a set schedule, and come back another year to do the following stages. There are many people who do the Camino this way, for different reasons.
Buen camino!

Reactions: Lisa Tough
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Lisa Tough

Sep 1, 2014
October 2014
My (un)scientific opinion is that most walkers do around 25 km per day, average. It depends, also, on the season (meaning, the weather).
As above mentioned, if you want the famous compostela, just see one of many guides available online, and estimate by yourself your distance and starting point.
On the other side, you can start in Saint Jean Pied de Port or Roncesvalles, walk as far as you like in the very pleasant Navarre country, without the constraints of a set schedule, and come back another year to do the following stages. There are many people who do the Camino this way, for different reasons.
Buen camino!
Thank you for your response, it is a good idea to do it that way I never thought about it like that. I will look at the option of starting at the beginning and going straight to Santiago, I live in Holland so I could start nearer to here.

Thank you!

Reactions: wayfarer

Lisa Tough

Sep 1, 2014
October 2014
Buen camino!
Would the best option be to take train from Holland (where I live) to Paris then a train to St Jean Pied?

tyrrek

Veteran Member
Jun 17, 2011
Halifax, West Yorkshire, UK
SJPP-SdC (4-5/2011), Ferrol-SdC (9/2011), Pamplona-SdC (3-4/2012), Camino Finisterre (10/2012), Ourense-SdC (5/2014)
Ourense to Santiago is a nice 5 day walk. It's just over 100kms so you would qualify for a Compostela. This is the last section of the Via de la Plata route. It's nowhere near as busy as the Camino Frances, but there are plenty of other pilgrims at popular times of year and nice albergues.

There are seasonal flights from Amsterdam to Santiago (with Vueling), and from there it's an easy bus or train journey to Ourense. Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Felipe

Veteran Member
Mar 28, 2009
Mexico
Would the best option be to take train from Holland (where I live) to Paris then a train to St Jean Pied?

Well, it all depends on where are you starting from.
If SJPP it is, look for flights to Biarritz-Bayonne airport, then it is only a short hop in train to SJPP. If you need to go first to Paris (by plane or train), check this encyclopedic post from whariwharangi.
Buen viaje!

jpflavin1

Veteran Member
Dec 26, 2009
Chicago, Illinois
Camino 2024 unknown starting 4/1 from somewhere.
Hi I am planning to walk for only a week where would you suggest is the best place to start for such a short time and what distance is do able per day? I am 50 quite fit and like a challenge.

Lisa:

It might depend on the time of year you plan to go. September weather is still good. October weather starts to get a little sketchy. November and beyond weather could become difficult.

Next thing to consider is, do you want a Compostela or not?

If you want a Compostela, I recommend you fly to Santiago and either walk the Frances from Sarria or the Ingles.

If you plan to walk the entire Frances from SJPdP in incremental steps, fly to Biarritz and train to SJPdP from there. Depending on how far you get will determine how difficult it will be to get back to Biarritz. Not always easy but doable.

Most Pilgrims walk between 20-30 km's per day, depending on there walking experience.

Ultreya,
Joe

Peter Fransiscus

Be a Rainbow in someone else's cloud.
Jul 5, 2014
Netherlands
All that we are is the result of what we have thought.
Hy Lisa , an other option is , to fly to Biarritz and than take a bus / train to sjpdp. My wife went last year like this.
Buen Camino from Peter .

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Lisa Tough

Sep 1, 2014
October 2014
Ourense to Santiago is a nice 5 day walk. It's just over 100kms so you would qualify for a Compostela. This is the last section of the Via de la Plata route. It's nowhere near as busy as the Camino Frances, but there are plenty of other pilgrims at popular times of year and nice albergues.

There are seasonal flights from Amsterdam to Santiago (with Vueling), and from there it's an easy bus or train journey to Ourense. Buen Camino!
Thank you for this information Im still deciding to start at the beginning or at the end, I really want to do the whole walk but not able to this year so I think starting at the beginning would be best.

Reactions: Tamas

Arn

Veteran Member
Dec 3, 2007
Virginia, USA
Lisa,
You are going on Camino. The Way is focused on the Cathedral of Santiago.
My opinion, if you start in SJPDP and go only part way...things can and do happen that delay, or end your returning. Rather, pick a location far enough from SdC that fits your schedule and completes your journey so when you enter the Pilgrim's Office you have a tangable and special reminder of "this Camino". Later, when time permits, either set out at SJPDP and walk all the Way, or once again as time permits... Choose another Camino...but, each and every time enter the Cathedral and be welcomed by St James.
Buen "your" Camino,
Arn

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Lisa Tough

Sep 1, 2014
October 2014
Yet another questions, I was watching a video of a german girl who was giving advice on what to pack she said she wore light trainers an did not bother with boots. I am walking for the week would I get away with wearing trainers?

Kanga

Veteran Member
Jun 2, 2005
Sydney, Australia
www.jillhill.com.au
Francés x 5, Le Puy x 2, Arles, Tours, Norte, Madrid, Via de la Plata, Portuguese, Primitivo
@Lisa Tough I walked for a while with a pilgrim who started in Holland and walked all the way. So you could set off from your front door, walk south for a week, go home, pick up next time where you left off, walk another week - etc. just a thought!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
D

Deleted member 3000

does anybody know if you can take a rucksack on the flight or does it have to be checked in?
If the backpack is within the airline size limits, it can be carried on board. Knives, trekking poles, and other potential weapons may be confiscated. I always check my backpack, but about 15% of the time, it does not arrive with me. The problem seems to be Heathrow.

Reactions: Tamas

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings to all. I posted a few days ago stating that I will begin my first Camino in St. Jean-pied-de-Port on 29 August and that I will take it slow and steady to Santiago de Compostela...
Hello! I will start my first Camino at the beginning of June 2024 and plan to start my month-long journey from Bilbao walking roughly 2 weeks on Camino Del Norte and then switching to Camino Del...
Hi all, last year I done the camino portuguese with my two daughters last year but this year I'm doing the camino frances solo. I fly into Bizarrtz on 26th July and plan to start the following...
As a new member of the forum who has been reading clandestinely for the past three months or so, I have to say how much I enjoy the entries--not simply for the collective wisdom from all of you...
Taking my youngest daughter on a short section from Astorga to Santiago starting June 9... Please pray for us!!

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides