• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where in the world is [Insert Name]?

GuyA

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi,

Not being too technically inclined I don't know if I can do the following...rather than assume I can't I thought I would ask.

What I would like to do

Purchase a GPS device which would record automatically GPS coordinates at specific intervals of time when the unit is in use while I am walking.

Upload/Download the GPS coordinates on a website when I have Internet access which would track my progress through various countries by superimposing a line on a map. In my case that would be Switzerland, France and Spain. Ideally I could identify where I stopped for the day with a pin or marker of some type.

Link the website to a blog i.e. Blogger

That way family/friends would have a visual of my walk and it would make a good souvenir post trip.

If you have any ideas as to how or whether this can be done I would like to hear from you.

Thanks

Guy

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Mate, there is a device called a "Spot Tracker" that does all you've mentioned here and then some. It only weighs a few ounces and as long as you are outdoors, it will see and log your location via satellite. I've used one a few times when walking in remote places in case I got in trouble. It also can be used as an emergency beacon. Hope this helps.

I have one. It works as advertised.

http://www.findmespot.com/en/

You need an iPhone to connect it with Blue Tooth for making a trace. When tracing, you will need to check it regularly to be sure the connection has not been broken. It stops tracing when Blue Tooth stops. I lost a few tracks that way.

Friends can watch your minute by minute progress, and you can send the track to your list of contacts.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks for the very helpful suggestions. I have contacted this company for more information...looks promising. I won't have iPhone however will have iPad mini and a JT phone with Bluetooth capability (do I need a data plan to enable Bluetooth?) therefore am not sure if I have what is needed.

So an iPad mini, small digital camera, phone and this possible device...am I going to be able to recharge these devices in the albergues?

Thanks

Guy

The ones I've used ran on AAA batteries (they recommend lithium for longevity) which are readily available so no need for a charger. Handy when you're in the bush for a couple of weeks away from shops.

You have several options, several which have been mentioned above.

You could also purchase a hiking GPS unit (Garmin and Magellan are the top two brands in Canada for hiking GPS). With "tracking" on, the GPS will track your hike/walk as long as it does not lose satellite signal (ideally, GPS should be outside of backpack to work best - may lose signal indoors). You can then use a website/software like http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/ to create your map showing your track. Down side to this system is that you need to connect your GPS via USB cable and I believe you mentioned bringing an iPad mini.

I've never tried to connect my Garmin Oregon 300 GPS to an iPad - I don't have one. I've always connect with my Notebook laptop. My understanding is that it is possible to download tracks if you have an SD card in the GPS via the SD card reader adapter, however, it's just not very easy (you need some serious iPad skills to do so apparently - I would suggest to speak to someone at a Mac store if possible, should this be the route you are considering).

Hiking GPS units take AA or AAA batteries, which can be found in any store. However, you will be replacing batteries every other day if you keep the unit on all day - could be costly. I use Enaloop rechargable batteries and I love them. Been recharging them almost weekly for the last year and they are still a good as the day I bought them. Advantage of hiking unit is that you can load maps, complete with road/addresses, as well as Points of Interest files (search the web, there are free maps and free POI files for the taking).

A smaller option would be to get a the Garmin 410 or 610 might be good for what you need - it's the size of a very large watch. If you get without the heart rate monitor (which you won't need), the battery can last up to 18 hours, then it will need to be plug it in for about an hour. The saved tracks would work exactly the same as the "hiking" type units, it's just much small/lighter. My husband used the website http://www.runkeeper.com to track his runs with his unit, which also can post directly to Facebook, Garmin has a similar site to upload track files or you can use the website listed above. Disadvantage, you will have to plug in to recharge and you wont have access to maps. Again, you will need to connect via USB cable to download your tracks.

It is possible to track your "Way" and post to your blog, you just need to find the equipment that will suit you needs.

Good luck,
Renee

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
This is a bit off-topic, but has anyone noticed the typical differences in tracking data results between dedicated GPS units and smartphone GPS apps? My wife and I are training for the Camino this fall, and are keeping track of our mileages using my Garmin GPS and her smartphone. We typically notice up to 5% difference in the distance recorded by the Garmin GPS and the Motorola smartphone. My LG smartphone was even worse. I'm pretty sure it has to do with the algorithms used by the apps and also the frequency of the recordings used by the various smartphone apps, but I'm sure there is someone out there that's a lot more knowledgeable than I am about the technical aspects of GPS hardware and software who might have an explanation. As for now, my inclination is to trust the Garmin more than the smartphones, since Garmin is used in so many professional GPS navigation systems. My guess is that that technology has surely trickled down to the handheld units used by consumers.

Jim

Most read last week in this forum

As I walked to Calzadilla de la Cueza today (long straight road), probably prompted by noisy torch-bearing pilgrims who got up at 4:20am (5 o’clock is bad enough, but seriously? We couldn’t leave...
Hi all, just a quickie, Has anyone else noticed that the older you get, the larger the ratio of medication: kit you carry in your rucksack? This time round it appears to be around 60% walking...
A nice warm soak eases tired bones, and I was just wondering if there are any Thermal Spas along the Camino Frances
The Holy See has published details concerning the 2025 Roman Jubilee of Hope here : https://www.vatican.va/content/francesco/en/bulls/documents/20240509_spes-non-confundit_bolla-giubileo2025.html...
Can someone put together a calendar of holidays in Spain for pilgrims to use as part of their planning? I’ve never gotten stuck, but it seems that, once or twice, posters are caught trying to...
I was surprised when I did a search that nothing came up on the topic so here we go. Is it common in the albergues to have a few shelves of books free to take and exchange out ones you have?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back