• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where to walk in September and October

maritr

Time of past OR future Camino
Some since 2002 and hopefully more to come
Hello all!
I need advice! Been walking caminos for more than twenty years, sometimes whole ones, long and short, and sometimes parts of longer ones. Always in spring/early summer. (CF, Via de la Plata-Sanabrés, Portugués from Porto, Norte, Camino del sur, Mozárabe de Almería-Vdpl-Sanabrés) Often returning to my favourite:Via de la Plata.
Coming up is a walk in mid September-mid October. Where to walk then? I don’t like the crowded caminos, and many are now, but I don’t want to be in total solitude either. Walking alone is fine, but I like to meet some fellow pilgrims in the afternoons/evenings. And I love the south.
As I’m now 72 ( with some aches and pains 🙄) I don’t want to walk stages of more than 30 kms, and prefer 20-25 kms.
So do you have any good tips of a camino for me? That fulfils (most of) my wishes? I’ve been reading and checking out lots, but it’s difficult to know if it’s ok for me. Need advice from people who have done them. Input about this will be greatly appreciated!
👣👣👣

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi @maritr

How about a combination, starting with the Camino de Madrid, which connects with the Frances in Sahagun. From there, you could walk or take a train to Leon.

From Leon you can walk via the Salvador to Oviedo and then walk the Primitivo to SdeC, or bus direct from Léon to Oviedo for the Primitivo. There is an option for the last few days if you are concerned about numbers from Melide to SdeC section after you’ve joined the Frances.

Alternatively if you made your way from Leon to Ponferrada, you could walk the Invierno to SdeC. I haven't walked it yet but people who have give positive reviews.

Not ‘south’ but could be good combinations for you. Though you’d need to check how hot it’s likely to be on the Madrid Way starting mid September. It’s a wonderful path. 😎

PS whether you will see other walkers on the Madrid, Salvador or Invierno is a bit of the luck of the draw I think. Definitely you will see others on the Primitivo. I haven't walked it since 2019 but I understand it is still not crowded. Hope that's the case.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe the Ruta de la Lana, that Filly is walking currently. Seems a good route, lots of stuff to see and do (ziplines, castles, probably more stuff), bikers to talk to in strange albergues ( :p ). I am thinking about it for next year, it seems an interesting adventure route. Probably very possible in September and a bit cooler.

If you want totally off piste, maybe Viejo/Olvidado from Pamplona and either rejoin Frances or dive up the Salvador.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi @maritr

How about a combination, starting with the Camino de Madrid, which connects with the Frances in Sahagun. From there, you could walk or take a train to Leon.

From Leon you can walk via the Salvador to Oviedo and then walk the Primitivo to SdeC, or bus direct from Léon to Oviedo for the Primitivo. There is an option for the last few days if you are concerned about numbers from Melide to SdeC section after you’ve joined the Frances.

Alternatively if you made your way from Leon to Ponferrada, you could walk the Invierno to SdeC. I haven't walked it yet but people who have give positive reviews.

Not ‘south’ but could be good combinations for you. Though you’d need to check how hot it’s likely to be on the Madrid Way starting mid September. It’s a wonderful path. 😎

PS whether you will see other walkers on the Madrid, Salvador or Invierno is a bit of the luck of the draw I think. Definitely you will see others on the Primitivo. I haven't walked it since 2019 but I understand it is still not crowded. Hope that's the case.
Thank you! I’ve considered several of the caminos you suggest. Especially Camino de Madrid. I will check and think more about your suggestions! 🙏🏻

Maybe the Ruta de la Lana, that Filly is walking currently. Seems a good route, lots of stuff to see and do (ziplines, castles, probably more stuff), bikers to talk to in strange albergues ( :p ). I am thinking about it for next year, it seems an interesting adventure route. Probably very possible in September and a bit cooler.

If you want totally off piste, maybe Viejo/Olvidado from Pamplona and either rejoin Frances or dive up the Salvador.
Thanks for suggestions! I have a friend who walked Ruta de la Lana this April-May. Firstly he said that it should be walked in springtime, secondly he met only two other pilgrims on the whole way to Burgos…
But I’d like to walk it! Maybe next spring.

I agree that the Lana is a great camino, and I know there are other forum members who share that opinion.

BUT… I believe Pepe told us that there had been a few more than 40 pilgrims in his albergue this year. Assuming most of those were from March-May, that makes a few more than 10 a month. (And it’s hard to configure a Lana without a stop in Villaconejos, so it’s not like many were just passing him by). You have to be prepared to meet no other pilgrims — aside from the two I was walking with, we met no others.

Firstly he said that it should be walked in springtime,
We walked the Lana in spring but had not fully understood how severe the drought in Spain was. Walking through many totally ruined crops, particularly in the southern half of the Lana, was sobering — but I think it had the effect of forcing us to turn inside if that makes any sense.

And I love the south.

I can’t think of any southern route, other than the Vdlp, that will offer the pilgrim company you are looking for. I too love the Vdlp and have done it three times in the springtime, but honestly I would love to do it in the fall (though September can still be a scorcher month in Andalucía).

I think a more northern route will offer decent weather, nicer landscapes, and more pilgrims — @Pelerina’s recommendations on the Primitivo, Salvador, and Invierno, are exactly what I would go for.

I have walked three fall caminos — two were Salvador/Primitivo in September and one was the Torres/Geira, also in September. This is a fabulous route, but very solitary, so I won’t go on about how great it is since you are looking for company. Invierno is slowly gathering speed, but I don’t think you are likely to run into more than a handful, though that seems to depend on the luck of the draw.

And here’s a crazy idea maybe — how about the Francés again? By mid-September the September wave will be decreasing, everything will be open, and there is no denying the beauty of the Francés.

Lots of choices!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I agree that the Lana is a great camino, and I know there are other forum members who share that opinion.

BUT… I believe Pepe told us that there had been a few more than 40 pilgrims in his albergue this year. Assuming most of those were from March-May, that makes a few more than 10 a month. (And it’s hard to configure a Lana without a stop in Villaconejos, so it’s not like many were just passing him by). You have to be prepared to meet no other pilgrims — aside from the two I was walking with, we met no others.

We walked the Lana in spring but had not fully understood how severe the drought in Spain was. Walking through many totally ruined crops, particularly in the southern half of the Lana, was sobering — but I think it had the effect of forcing us to turn inside if that makes any sense.

I can’t think of any southern route, other than the Vdlp, that will offer the pilgrim company you are looking for. I too love the Vdlp and have done it three times in the springtime, but honestly I would love to do it in the fall (though September can still be a scorcher month in Andalucía).

I think a more northern route will offer decent weather, nicer landscapes, and more pilgrims — @Pelerina’s recommendations on the Primitivo, Salvador, and Invierno, are exactly what I would go for.

I have walked three fall caminos — two were Salvador/Primitivo in September and one was the Torres/Geira, also in September. This is a fabulous route, but very solitary, so I won’t go on about how great it is since you are looking for company. Invierno is slowly gathering speed, but I don’t think you are likely to run into more than a handful, though that seems to depend on the luck of the draw.

And here’s a crazy idea maybe — how about the Francés again? By mid-September the September wave will be decreasing, everything will be open, and there is no denying the beauty of the Francés.

Lots of choices!
Yes lots of choices indeed! Well the southern route that had the handful of other pilgrims I kind of wanted (as I’m walking alone) was the Mozárabe last year. But I’m not into walking that again so soon. (By the way: Loved that one as well, especially on to Granada. And the organisation in Almería with Nely, the best!)
It seems that some northern route, or/and maybe a start a bit later in the autumn, is the most probable for me now.
Have other pilgrim friends I keep in touch with who walked the Torre/Geira this year, and loved it. But some tough stages and no other pilgrims. I’ve walked without meeting others before and it got too lonely for me after some time.
About the CF I don’t know… Found it too crowded in 2002!
But again thanks for recommendations and advice! 😊

We're walking the Via Serrana (roughly 10 days from La Linea de la Concepcion to Sevilla) starting in mid-September. We understand it will be hot, but we understand it is a very pretty camino. Not very many pilgrims, or so we've heard.

We're walking the Via Serrana (roughly 10 days from La Linea de la Concepcion to Sevilla) starting in mid-September. We understand it will be hot, but we understand it is a very pretty camino. Not very many pilgrims, or so we've heard.
Hmmm… 🤔 That’s one I haven’t heard much about. And very southern! I’ll check it out. Thanks!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi @maritr

I'm just finishing walking this combination. I walked in June/July rather than September/October. I suspect the Madrid portion may be more solitary than you would like. About 2/3 of the nights I was alone in the albergue and there were only 2 pilgrims I saw more than once. I don't think it will be much busier in September. I would definitely advise not skipping the San Salvador part. It is a wonderful little Camino and a great lead in to the Primitivo. Both those Caminos are perhaps more hilly than the VDLP, though.

Thank you for info! Good to know.
Hillier than the first part of the Mozárabe as well? Cause that was quite ok for me last year. (Up - no problems, down - hard on the knees!) Many of the northern routes I’ve been recommended seem hilly. And so beautiful! (been checking them out in different ways) And maybe too solitary. And with very few albergues some. Which gets expensive.
Sigh! I now know a lot more about some caminos, but still indecisive. But thanks anyhow. 😊

I haven't done the Mozárabe (yet) so we'll have to wait for someone else to weigh in on that. There is a mountain range that runs right across the top of Spain, so that tends to affect the northern routes. :) I certainly didn't find the Primitivo solitary and while the San Salvador had less pilgrims, I wouldn't call it solitary, either. I connected with several other pilgrims every day, with a good half dozen or so I saw consistently throughout my Camino. The Lebaniego is also likely to be less solitary this year, what with it being a Jubilee year for that route this year and all. Now the Camino de Madrid was more solitary.

Last edited:
I am walking the Madrid for the second time this fall, beginning this time on Oct 2. On my previous Madrid camino, I met a member of this forum at Tres Cantos, on my second day, and a fair number of pilgrims in the albergues north of there on the Madrid. After I finished that route in Sahagun, I went on to walk a short section of the Frances, leading to my first walk on the Invierno from Ponferrada, and so to Santiago. I am walking the same routes this year. I look forward to it being less busy than some places which I have walked recently. Good luck finding what works for you as a pilgrim.

Most read last week in this forum

In the Guardian. Interesting "Letters to the Editor..." https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2024/apr/18/a-modern-pilgrimages-transformative-power?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back