• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Where to watch Euro 2016 in Santiago?

Mark2012

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2012, 2014) Camino Finisterre (2012, 2013, 2014) Camino Portugues (2013), Camino del Norte (2015)
Hello,

This might seem like a trivial topic, but it's important for those who care... such as me!

I'll try to keep this brief...

Ireland are playing Sweden this evening in Euro 2016, kicking off at 6pm Spanish time. In years gone by, catching tournament matches on the way has never been an issue, but for this competition, Spanish tv only bought the rights to some matches... with today's Ireland match not on that list.

Investigating the situation while walking to the coast over the weekend, it turns out that bars and individuals can access all matches by registering on UEFA.com and if they have Apple TV etc etc. It all sounds very awkward and I'm willing to assume most bars won't bother with it, as all Spain matches will be on free tv.

The big question from me for those of you with local knowledge or who have already figured this out, where in Santiago am I likely to get to see the Ireland match? I'm sure some places will be showing all the matches, but without some steer on where to go, it feels like looking for a needle in a haystack.

I'm even going to ask at the tourist office shortly. It might rank as one of the more unusual questions they've been asked over the years!

Thanks in advance for any tips!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Thanks for that. I'll check it out!

Just in case any other Irish are around today and wondering about it, A Novena Porta WILL be showing the match.

Crisis averted!

Thanks again, Ivar!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Very convenient and just around the corner from Ivar's office. Great place for a pint.
Spoiler alert 1-1 at 92:58 with second left to play!

Most read last week in this forum