• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where would you stay?

TravellingSonn

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2008, Le Puy route (TBC)
Bonsoir everyone!

Where would you recommend to stay at;

Sausages
Le Sauvage
Les Estrets

I decided to book the first 5 nights.

Only 3 months to go! Not that I'm rubbing it in or anything ;)

Merci mes amis
Sonia
:)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
La Margeride, 04-71-77-60-97, Saugues
Domaine du Sauvage, 04-71-74-40-30, Sauvage
Le Gevaudan, 04-66-45-61-90, Les Estrets

Saint Alban sur Limagnole is a great place to stop. Hotel Restaurant du Central has a large dorm room and private rooms. Group dinner at night.

HI there
The only one out of these three that I have stayed in is Saugues and I can recommend the Gite a la ferme run by Mme Martins, Rue des Roches. tel 04 71 77 83 45. She has rooms for two (ours had a shower/loo en suite) and a really good dinner. Demi pension in 2011 was 33 euro per person. It was very friendly and the dinner with all the other pilgrims was terrific. Good atmosphere.
Bon Chemin
Anna

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Here's another vote for the Farm Gite (Gite de le ferme) in Sauges. Two blocks walk to the heart of town. The dinner (and the breakfast!) were phenomenal.

Hi Sonia ,
Will give our first 5 nights after getting off the plane [from the first capital of Oz] and then flying to Lyon and train to Le Puy.

[ 1 ] We walked to Montbonnet.
Were tired , went to the pilgrims mass at 7am and decided on a short day.
It was great as all had a beer and sleep.
Stayed in L'Escole . Later on we heard that there is a new gite where the bar was and was lovely.

[ 2 ] In pouring rain we ventured to Monistrol D' Allier , a lovely 13 km.
Gite La Trabone was 50/50 as many stayed.
It was slippery when arriving in town , beware if raining.

[ 3 ] The next 12km walk to Saugues was wonderful.
Be very careful when climbing out of M D' Allier , especially if drizzle or rain.
The photos you will get if clear in the next few km's will hang on wall.
We stopped in Saugues because the market was on , we were wet and they pilgrims from France who were accompanying us suggested we stay in Gite La Ferme.
It was wonderful , private rooms, ensuite, and great food.
Could not have had a better day.

**Please find up a lane .... Bar Des Carmes.
Old worlde charm , locals, rugby memorabilia everywhere and a shout from the owner. A very nice experience according to my beloved..

Many of the older french couples out for a weeks walk now stopped at La Falzet.
Very nice food for lunch.

We continued onwards;
[ 4 ] Chanaleilles .
Was a great day / night as everybody had private rooms and the food presented in the bar for dinner was wonderful. Lovely lawn for reading and relaxing.
The company made the evening and the atmosphere in the bar/dining room during the world cup [ Australia v Germany ] made the night.

[ 5 ] Saint- Alban sur Limagnole
Beautiful room with Pierre and Helene @ Les Genets.
They do not do food and as Felcon269 said eat at Hotel Du Central.
They also have rooms but we had already unpacked. The food and staff were terrific.

I will stop here as the next night we believe we had the worst room [ hygiene] we experienced on the GR65.
It is well known , does cheese as for dinner, the cost was 65E/double and there were better places to stay.

After this night mate the distances increased to 25-30km a day as the cobwebs were off and the rain decreased ...until The Aubrac.

Plenty of great places to stay.
Don't book too far ahead as it spoils the spontaneous stops which normally work out to be the best.
You know the best parties are never planned Sonia

have a great walk,
David

Guys, thanks again for replying to my question. I feel as though I'm armed with a wealth of information. Merci. :)

David, you're correct in saying 'the best parties are the ones not planned'. I feel a little more secure knowing the first 5 days are mapped out for me. This allows me to settle into the French/camino way of life. But after that, who knows where I'll end up! Haha! I only hope this camino is just as fun as my last one. :)

I'm sooooo curious to know the name of the 'worst' room you stayed at? ;)

Thanks again everyone,
Sonia

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
La Ferme du Barry in Aumont -Aubrac.

Its a bit of an institution so they will come from everywhere to shoot this down but it was the worst we experienced and the food was very disappointing .
We just found that dinner was all show compared to the family meals previously encountered , especially in Saugues.

Thornley said:
Its a bit of an institution ...

I stayed there that first year too, and I stayed at the other places listed just now, and I would have to agree that it was the least of that first week. However, it is located right.on.the.Chemin so one does not spend a footsore hour hunting all over town for the darned gite upon arrival, nor the next morning looking for the Chemin to get out of town. It is a large place, with many faces - so there were many interesting people to talk to at dinner. One Frenchman and his wife gave me the primary spiritual lesson I've received in three years of pilgrim walking ("Every day I pray to God for what I need, even though I do not know what it is to ask for it." Amazing.) A couple of Dutch young women were with us also. Wonderful conversation. Forgettable food. Except ... one has been hearing about Aligot all week now without really understanding what this beloved regional dish really is.

So, to sum up: It's not the Ritz. But it meets all of the basic necessities, is not the worst lodging available by a long shot, is different, and makes memories. Isn't that part of what you're doing this trip for?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I agree with you Kitsamber about the good vibes at dinner and with other pilgrims.
However i cannot accept , under any circumstances , dirty rooms , especially if you are getting into the 64 plus euro's a night price .
There are 2 substantial hotels in this town , they would be my recommendation.

In comparison to Air Sur l'Adour, Moissac [ private back suite], Lauzerte the place does not rate. The host there guys offer more than spotless accommodation.

[1] The beautiful , lovely decorated private home in Grealou , where the owner leaves you alone to use. Spotless with backpacks in foyer.

[2] The lovely , huge private home of Bertrand in Arthez-de-Bearn where you pay the next morning with him serving breakfast in his bakery....a lovely smell @ 6am
This is a serious home ,on the family property , again left alone in a spotless abode.

[3] The lovely rooms overlooking the valley/camino path in Bellevue.
***The most beautiful pool in a lovely garden setting.The owner Marcel drives you [ with other pilgrims staying in Aroue ] to a local restaurant for a beautiful meal.

All of these are under the 55e /night per couple.
We all have had wonderful experiences on this beautiful camino but none will be around dirty, uncleaned rooms.

A lovely way Sonia , take your time, there's no rush on this camino mate.
David

Kitsambler said:
Here's another vote for the Farm Gite (Gite de le ferme) in Sauges. Two blocks walk to the heart of town. The dinner (and the breakfast!) were phenomenal.

Dinner in Saugues was a great party, with the French pretending the box wine was a fine Cote de Rhone. They kept it flowing.

Attachments

• saugues.JPG
    saugues.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 1,325
I don't always stay in gites, but the public one in Sausages was really well equipped and laid out. Bit of a stand-out. Mind you, the French know it, and use it heavily for hiking weekends, even in the cold.

Okay, okay...so I just wanted the opportunity to say Sausages again. Love that.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi this is my recent planner from when we walked the Le Puy route in June 2012 with comments re quality of accommodations. Have a great trip! Gitti

Attachments

• Planner 2012 Europe.doc
    38.5 KB · Views: 181
Thanks again everyone for sharing your recommendations. As always, much appreciated.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Are you ready for the basics? No heat, no water, no charge:

Attachments

• hut near Saugues.jpg
    hut near Saugues.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 964
falcon269 said:
La Margeride, 04-71-77-60-97, Saugues
Domaine du Sauvage, 04-71-74-40-30, Sauvage
Le Gevaudan, 04-66-45-61-90, Les Estrets

Saint Alban sur Limagnole is a great place to stop. Hotel Restaurant du Central has a large dorm room and private rooms. Group dinner at night.

I agree with these. I stayed at La Margeride, friends stayed at Domaine du Sauvage while I walked on to Les Faux (not by choice - le Sauvage was full). I stopped for a coffee break in Le Gevaudan and thought it would be a great choice but I was walking further that day.

The gite communal at Sausages was a stand-out. Huge kitchen (even the French had trouble monopolising it), great layout, alcoves for sleeping...

Actually, Sonn, I just wanted to say Sausages again. But it's a great gite, okay?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Ohhh Rob, you are too funny! :lol: I trust your judgement regarding the SAUSAGES gite... :lol:

God bless your cotton socks, you make me smile. :D

Thank you
Sonn
:D

Its a bit of an institution so they will come from everywhere to shoot this down but it was the worst we experienced and the food was very disappointing .
We just found that dinner was all show compared to the family meals previously encountered , especially in Saugues.

Can you recommend an alternative place to stay in Aumont -Aubrac?

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Also looking for recommendations for places to stay along the route:
  • St Come D’Olt
  • Estaing
  • Espayrac
  • St Roch
  • Figeac
  • Cahors
  • Lectoure
  • St Jean Pied de Port - I've already stayed at L'Esprit du Chemin but as I am hoping to stay for 2 nights in a single/double room (they don't do these) I am looking for a highly recommended alternative :)
Any recommendations?

Also if you had the choice of a rest day at either Le Villeret d’Apchier or St Alban sur Limagnole which would you choose???

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I am undertaking the Le Puy way commencing on 7 June 2024. For planning I have a Cicerone Guide by Dave Whiston. I have been trying to book dormitory style accommodation for the first stage...
I have an extra private en-suite room in Marcilhac for May 8. $50. Message me!
Hi, newish pilgrim here, 20, Irish, I completed the Ingles last year and absolutely loved it, and am now setting off on le Chemin du Puy + el Camino Frances on Wednesday. I need to receive a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.