• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which Camino Now ?

scubajunky

HI All, I walked fromo SJPP to Burgos three years ago and then from Astorga to Santiago last year.
I loved it both times and had a really great time. I started at the beginning of April and walked for two weeks.
This year I will walk again but cannot decide which Camino to do, I do enjoy the social aspect of the camino and would not like to walk a camino that was very quiet with no other people to meet and talk too.
Any recommendations ? I'm considering the Norde but here it is very, very quiet.
Like I say I do enjoy the social aspect and nice scenery etc
Hope someone can help

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have walked the Frances, the Ingles, the Portugues and the Primitivo. Also the Via Francigena If I could only choose one to walk again it would be the Primitivo without question. Challenging but varied. Enough people for company and albergues for comfort. Not a great choice if you don't enjoy hills though.

HI All, I walked fromo SJPP to Burgos three years ago and then from Astorga to Santiago last year.
I loved it both times and had a really great time. I started at the beginning of April and walked for two weeks.
This year I will walk again but cannot decide which Camino to do, I do enjoy the social aspect of the camino and would not like to walk a camino that was very quiet with no other people to meet and talk too.
Any recommendations ? I'm considering the Norde but here it is very, very quiet.
Hope someone can help
Hi, why not begin in Ponferrada and walk the Camino de Invierno .
But at the end the decision is yours.
Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hope someone can help
My two cents would be "go to the pilgrim office and talk the them". They KNOW. But like Peter said, the decision will be yours. Buen Camino :) Caesar

Hope someone can help

Scuba junky:

Both the Norte and Primitivo offer social interaction but not on the scale of the Frances. If you enjoy seascapes, walk the Norte. The Primitivo is more rural rolling hills with mountain views to the South. Both of these routes can be challenging but are great walks with accommodation and moderate social interaction versus the Frances.

Ultreya,
Joe

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have walked the Frances, the Ingles, the Portugues and the Primitivo. Also the Via Francigena If I could only choose one to walk again it would be the Primitivo without question. Challenging but varied. Enough people for company and albergues for comfort. Not a great choice if you don't enjoy hills though.

I do enjoy hills so are you walking over them or viewing them ? why do you view the Primitivo as the only camino you would do again ? Is it still a social affair ? I would be leaving at Easter.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi, why not begin in Ponferrada and walk the Camino de Invierno .
But at the end the decision is yours.
Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.
Surely the Invierno will be one of the loneliest routes. Not what the OP is looking for.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I do enjoy hills so are you walking over them or viewing them ? why do you view the Primitivo as the only camino you would do again ? Is it still a social affair ? I would be leaving at Easter.

Both over and viewing. But especially over. In Scotland we call hills over 3000 feet "Munros". People "collect" them. I passed over several on the Primitivo. Dropping nearly to sea level between two of them. So a lot of up and down. After Lugo the hills are far more gentle. I began walking during Holy Week and found more than enough company along the way.

If you are walking at Easter did you know that the cathedral in Oviedo displays its famous relic the Sudarium - a cloth claimed to have covered the face of Christ in his tomb - on Good Friday? A less well known cousin of the Turin Shroud. I timed my departure so I could view it.

I would walk other caminos again but for beauty and variety I think the Primitivo wins.

Bradypus, when you say 'challenging' how does the Primitivio compare (probably already a naïve question) to the first couple of days out of StJpdp and O'Cebreiro on the CF? I'm looking at another route for 2017.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Bradypus, when you say 'challenging' how does the Primitivio compare .

I last walked the Camino Frances in 2002. I walked the Primitivo last year. With such a long gap between I don't think I could really make a useful comparison. The toughest day on the Primitivo - from Borres to Berducedo - struck me at the time as being on a par with the Route Napoleon but a little shorter. I dont recall finding the climb to O Cebreiro difficult - just VERY long.

So the primitivo wont be a lonely experience ? it's about two weeks is that right ? Ideally a month or three week trip would be best. Which camino is the second most popular ?

Won't be short of company but not the big numbers you would find on the Frances. I would expect albergues to be busy but not full. The Primitivo and the Frances merge at Melide. You will already know the way from there.

Albergues, bars and shops are often much further apart on the Primitivo. I took 10 days from Oviedo to Santiago but that would be much faster than most people prefer. I enjoy long days and usually walk 30-35 km per day if weather and the terrain are good.

I really enjoyed the warmth - physical and spiritual - in the little private albergue in Bodenaya. A good place with an excellent host.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Another suggestion would be the Caminho Portuguese from Porto and then on to Muxia and/or Finesterra. I believe the Portugese is the second most popular route and you can find people to walk with daily if you want. You wall certainly be with plenty of people at the albergues north of Porto.

If you want as many people as the Frances, following Marylynn's advice of filling in the meseta is a great idea.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all , as in approaching the Camino from Sarria I didn’t find yet the basic equipment nor the alojamiento from sarria to santiago, I have booked just in Santiago some days but I’m becoming...
Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
I wasn't sure I was going to post "live from the Camino" for this Camino. I'm happy to do so on my solo Caminos, but when I am walking with family, my focus is a little elsewhere and I am mindful...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
@Monasp has just posted two tables of statistics from the SJPDP pilgrim office on their Facebook account. Numbers of different nationalities recorded so far this year: the USA being the largest...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back