• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which is best cycle route to take?

adamhansolo

Hello!

Very excited to be planning my first Camino experience. I am planning to cycle to Santiago, but I'm not sure which route I should take or where to start from. Considering the following information, which route should I take:

I have 16 days available for my trip

I am based in Barcelona

I am an experienced city cyclist, but I have absolutely no experience with mountain biking / off road riding. I am a reasonably fit person though, and I think that approx 50 km per day is achievable for me.

My legendary Maths skills lead me to assume I could feasibly do a 800km route.

As I will be doing this alone, I would like a route with as many cheap accommodation options as possible.

Thank you in advance!

Adam

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi there mate !!
Well I am currently just outside Biarritz and will be heading off to saint jean pied de port in the morning. I am hoping to do it in the same timespan or there abouts. Will let you know how it goes but think some fire road rides would help with your bike skills. Am a mountainbiker myself but still put in some practice with panniers and weight off the good roads just to be sure.
Stay safe and good luck !

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi there mate !!
Well I am currently just outside Biarritz and will be heading off to saint jean pied de port in the morning. I am hoping to do it in the same timespan or there abouts. Will let you know how it goes but think some fire road rides would help with your bike skills. Am a mountainbiker myself but still put in some practice with panniers and weight off the good roads just to be sure.
Stay safe and good luck !

Good luck for tomorrow. Let us know how you get on!

Good luck, just back after 6 days cycling from Leon to Santiago on mountain bike, small so only 26 inch wheel which my quads paid dearly for. Great experience as I was female on my own, the mountains were very challenging, cycling 50 to 70 per day but met lovely people, stayed in nice hotels, but luggage transfer expensive. enjoy, I plan to go back next year but need better bike

My bike in the US has 29er wheels, but the bike in France I've done all my pilgrimage rides has 26 in wheels. There is no difference on most surfaces and while the 29er rolls over big rocks a bit easier, they are heavier. I'd stick with 26 inch wheels.....if your bike was a pig, look for something lighter with better tires, not bigger wheels!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Need some advice which route to do, I want to cover at least 700km and time s not an issue. I am based in Almeria border of Murcia and will be travelling up to start point of one of the many routes but would like advice where to start from also would love a travelling companion if there's any one out there wanting to ride with me.

We rode the Via de la Plata last year and can thoroughly recommend it. We are based in Murcia but we were already in the north of Spain so hired a car to bring us down to Seville and rode back to our transport. You could do this in the opposite way to us. Seville from Almeria is easy, leave from there and then transport your bike back down. We used the BiciMap which was excellent.

This year (starting 26 May) we are riding the Camino del Cid - looks an interesting route - from Burgos to Valencia and then back to Murcia via a Via Verde route. Not a camino this year.

Two years ago we rode the Frances but think the VdlP is more suitable for bikes due to less crowding.

Hope you find a good route for you. Ask for more info. if you need more help.

Hi everyone !!
Well I am now a few days into my Camino and have to say its a blast!! Loving every bit of it. My 26inch wheeled 12yr old rockhopper is handling everything thrown at it but I have needed new brake pads !! I have new wheels I bought before this trip as well. Adamhansolo I decided to do the walking route and love it. HOWEVER you will have to push pull drag you and your bike and panniers and all over rough terrain and up some hills. It's worth it to me though. Also a few cycles with your local mountainbike club will give you the skills. If you are not sure just get off and walk!! I have on occasion and just chatted to someone. One thing though I am using my bell and calling out ola as I come up behind people. I find they are very appreciative of this and happily let you pass. But some others were not as careful and I heard the comments. Remember the walkers can't move quickly with a rucksack on. Enjoy and the new auberge in Sansol is lovely !!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We rode the Via de la Plata last year and can thoroughly recommend it. We are based in Murcia but we were already in the north of Spain so hired a car to bring us down to Seville and rode back to our transport. You could do this in the opposite way to us. Seville from Almeria is easy, leave from there and then transport your bike back down. We used the BiciMap which was excellent.
Two years ago we rode the Frances but think the VdlP is more suitable for bikes due to less crowding.
Hola Jaws - I have a basic plan to ride from Salamanca to SDC starting in late Aug or early Sept. I will need to hire a bike (bringing one for Oz is too much of a hassle). So would welcome any advice. Cheers

Most read last week in this forum

I Willl start biking from SJPD on 9.may with Ebike. I have a list of bike friendly albergs is there somebody who have experience with charging batery in such alberg. Do i need afdition 220v...
Hi all I am considering cycling the coastal route but wondered if any / many albergues have minimum cycling distances. Eg do I have to ride a minimum amount per day to be able to stay in an...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back