• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Trying to figure out best bike route

senora1

I’m starting in Burgos and would like to ride as close to the Camino as possible without annoying peregrinos, so hopefully along the road nearby. I’ve consulted different sites and am confused. For example ridewithgps shows taking the Camino between Hornillo del Camino and Hontanas, however the Buen Camino app shows a detour. Same issue heading from Vega de Valcarce to O’Cebreiro. Who do I follow??
Also do I need to download the maps in advance or will they work along the way?
Gracias for any helpful suggestions

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There are a lot of questions here, some are perhaps unanswerable, some depend on external factors, some depend on your ability as a cyclist. Guess you're only gonna get the short answers here. First confession; I have not ridden the Frances yet but have mucho touring experience; you have sucked me into a reply because it's a biking question haha.

"I’m starting in Burgos and would like to ride as close to the Camino as possible without annoying peregrinos, so hopefully along the road nearby." So, are you gonna ride the Camino or the road nearby? From experience most of the caminos are rideable and from what I've heard the Frances is quite easy (compared say to the Norte or Primitivo) - fit a bell to warn the peregrinos? Don't worry too much about pissing-off a few peregrinos, there are more of them than us eh?

"I’ve consulted different sites and am confused. For example ridewithgps shows taking the Camino between Hornillo del Camino and Hontanas, however the Buen Camino app shows a detour. Same issue heading from Vega de Valcarce to O’Cebreiro. Who do I follow?? " Has it not been said many times that there is not just one camino, perhaps there are as many camino routes as there are peregrinos. The Norte in particular seemed somewhat confusing; follow the arrows, Komoot, Buen Camino or any one of all the other possibilities, choose your own route.

"Also do I need to download the maps in advance or will they work along the way?" Depends which app you're using and whether you use data roaming. From limited experience of camino riding I'd suggest following the arrows but revert to Buen Camino if in doubt.

Hope the suggestions have been helpful, if not then others will provide the answers you seek - perhaps. Final words; don't over-plan, don't over-pack and don't over-think, it's only a bike ride.

I can say that between Hornillos and Hontanas it is not on a paved route so this could be why. The route up to O'Cebreiro will be a "hike a bike" most of the way. Very steep and path is not particularly smooth.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi senora1
A lot of the first part of the camino on the meseta is like a proper track for the farmers' 4x4 vehicles (which are very rare), so it is plenty wide enough to accommodate walking pilgrims and a nice considerate bicigrina/o. My guess is the difference between the two apps is that one is for cyclists with road bikes and the other maybe more for people on mountain bikes. That part of the meseta might be a bit bumpy or muddy in places on a road bike, but it would be fine for a cyclo-x or mountain bike.
For O Cebreiro, I'm not sure whether it is Vega de Valcarce, or higher up the valley, but it is clearly painted on the road where the pilgrims head off to the left into the woods and where cyclists are advised to keep on the road. I walked that road one year when the snow drifts were too high for the pilgrim path and it was easy - it just goes all the way to O Cebreiro. I'd say the pilgrim path through the woods would be a challenge, even for serious mountain bikers.

"I’m starting in Burgos and would like to ride as close to the Camino as possible without annoying peregrinos, so hopefully along the road nearby." So, are you gonna ride the Camino or the road nearby? From experience most of the caminos are rideable and from what I've heard the Frances is quite easy (compared say to the Norte or Primitivo) - fit a bell to warn the peregrinos? Don't worry too much about pissing-off a few peregrinos, there are more of them than us eh?

"I’ve consulted different sites and am confused. For example ridewithgps shows taking the Camino between Hornillo del Camino and Hontanas, however the Buen Camino app shows a detour. Same issue heading from Vega de Valcarce to O’Cebreiro. Who do I follow?? " Has it not been said many times that there is not just one camino, perhaps there are as many camino routes as there are peregrinos. The Norte in particular seemed somewhat confusing; follow the arrows, Komoot, Buen Camino or any one of all the other possibilities, choose your own route.

"Also do I need to download the maps in advance or will they work along the way?" Depends which app you're using and whether you use data roaming. From limited experience of camino riding I'd suggest following the arrows but revert to Buen Camino if in doubt.

Hope the suggestions have been helpful, if not then others will provide the answers you seek - perhaps. Final words; don't over-plan, don't over-pack and don't over-think, it's only a bike ride.
You haven’t ridden the CF before but your wisdom shines through. I tend to over-plan and over-think. You are correct, it’s only a ride 😍

I've cycled the CF from Astorga: I followed the yellow arrows unless there was diversion posted for cyclists (the climb up O'Cebreiro comes to mind), and was on the road when the trail was but a few feet from the road, otherwise preferred the trail where practical.
It was not a problem anywhere, and no terrain was technically particularly challenging even using wide road tire.

The only time I got into trouble was when I tried to find a shortcut and ended up on a flooded forestry road...
I used the AlpineQuest App to locate "Where I was" vs "Where I needed to be" in relation to the trail.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I’m starting in Burgos and would like to ride as close to the Camino as possible without annoying peregrinos, so hopefully along the road nearby. I’ve consulted different sites and am confused. For example ridewithgps shows taking the Camino between Hornillo del Camino and Hontanas, however the Buen Camino app shows a detour. Same issue heading from Vega de Valcarce to O’Cebreiro. Who do I follow??
Hi Senora
My partner and I are avid cyclists. I have walked and cycled 3 different Caminos and loved the lot. My last was cycling from Barcelona via Santiago to Finnisterre - it was 17 days and really wonderful
Sometimes we stayed on the hiking path but when we anticipated too many hikers we would find nearby roads using the Maps.Me app. Before we left I had downloaded a .kmz route of the Camino to my app so it was not difficult.

If you are interested I kept a daily blog on https://cyclingtillwedrop.wordpress.com/

Bon Camino

Hans

Thank you for considering that bicycling around mostly walkers can be annoying. It can also be hazardous. Question who has the right of way?

Thank you for considering that bicycling around mostly walkers can be annoying. It can also be hazardous. Question who has the right of way?
Who has the right of way? No one, really. The Camino does not belong to or prioritize one "type" of person over another, pilgrim or not.

For me the one who has the most difficulty maneuvering has the right of way. I won't argue my "right of way" with a horsebackrider (yes there are a few), a cyclist (on a heavily loaded touring bike or not), someone in a wheelchair or someone on crutches (been there) when on the Camino.

Let us be aware of our surroundings and be considerate of each other. If nothing else it'll keep everyone's blood pressure down

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
On my second Camino, I was struggling with tendinitis, so in Burgos, I rented a bike and rode from there to Astorga. Because I hadn't planned to bike from the beginning, I just followed the actual Camino trail for most of the way (except for one stretch on the way into Fromista where a very nice gentleman showed me how to use my gears!). As long as you are aware of other pilgrims, there really isn't a problem, and in many places, the Camino is on the side of a road, so you can ride on the road and still greet the walking peregrinos as you pass. There might be a few peregrinos who get a bit upset, but honestly, I never saw that. I will say that there is a WICKED hill as you get onto the meseta. I ended up walking my bike all the way up, and then all the way down. I was in awe of the bicyclers who were able to both go up and down that hill. I was absolutely convinced that I would end up going ass over teakettle if I tried the downhill! 2016-06-24 07.47.38.jpg2016-06-24 08.30.13.jpg2016-06-24 10.11.55.jpg

I really wouldn't worry that much.

Ruth

On my second Camino, I was struggling with tendinitis, so in Burgos, I rented a bike and rode from there to Astorga. Because I hadn't planned to bike from the beginning, I just followed the actual Camino trail for most of the way (except for one stretch on the way into Fromista where a very nice gentleman showed me how to use my gears!). As long as you are aware of other pilgrims, there really isn't a problem, and in many places, the Camino is on the side of a road, so you can ride on the road and still greet the walking peregrinos as you pass. There might be a few peregrinos who get a bit upset, but honestly, I never saw that. I will say that there is a WICKED hill as you get onto the meseta. I ended up walking my bike all the way up, and then all the way down. I was in awe of the bicyclers who were able to both go up and down that hill. I was absolutely convinced that I would end up going ass over teakettle if I tried the downhill! View attachment 121599View attachment 121600View attachment 121601

I really wouldn't worry that much.

Ruth
I like the photos. Do you remember where that part is? I’m sure I’ll be walking that section too!

Who has the right of way? No one, really. The Camino does not belong to or prioritize one "type" of person over another, pilgrim or not.

For me the one who has the most difficulty maneuvering has the right of way. I won't argue my "right of way" with a horsebackrider (yes there are a few), a cyclist (on a heavily loaded touring bike or not), someone in a wheelchair or someone on crutches (been there) when on the Camino.

Let us be aware of our surroundings and be considerate of each other. If nothing else it'll keep everyone's blood pressure down
Perfect response to that comment/question Xali1970!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I rode from Pamplona to SdC and have a few observations.

I rarely rode on a narrow trail with walkers since it was uncomfortable for both parties. To me, pedestrians always have the right-of-way over cyclists, so it makes for slow going. The main exception were wide dirt roads where there was room for everyone. Otherwise, I picked the best paved cycling roads fairly close to the trail, and it was fun to sometimes take a side journey that your cycling mobility provides. I agree with others that you don’t need to plan that far ahead because your route may be weather dependent. Bike repair shops were not abundant, so plotting their location ahead of time is recommended if you need them.

I had a Spanish guidebook to cycling the Camino that gave suggested stages and routes. Wish I could remember the title, but it was helpful. A bookstore or bike shop in Burgos may have one.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

I agree no one has the right away. If someone in front is slower, safely go around.

I rode from Pamplona to SdC and have a few observations.

I rarely rode on a narrow trail with walkers since it was uncomfortable for both parties.
Were you somehow able to know if there were narrow trails in advance, or did you just make that decision on the spot?. I’m asking because I’m transitioning from a walking Camino to a bikeing Camino because of some foot problems.

Were you somehow able to know if there were narrow trails in advance, or did you just make that decision on the spot?. I’m asking because I’m transitioning from a walking Camino to a bikeing Camino because of some foot problems.
T
The Spanish guidebook that I used clearly marked the paths that were too narrow, steep, or rocky for cycling and indicated the side roads that were more suitable. I regret giving the book away at the end of the trip, and I cannot locate its title in online searches. However, I just noted a book published in 2019 by the Cicerone Press, a UK outfit that produces travel guides.

Cycling the Camino de Santiago
The Way of St James - Camino Frances
By Mike Wells

Link is below, and they have an e-book option

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
T
The Spanish guidebook that I used clearly marked the paths that were too narrow, steep, or rocky for cycling and indicated the side roads that were more suitable. I regret giving the book away at the end of the trip, and I cannot locate its title in online searches. However, I just noted a book published in 2019 by the Cicerone Press, a UK outfit that produces travel guides.

By Mike Wells

Thanks, I’ll take a look. It sounds like just the right thing.

I actually started as a walker but I hurt my leg and am unable to continue for a while on foot. So now I just bought a used mountain bike and am converting my trip.

Pen Bay? I live in Rockland, Maine.
Are you talking about Penobscot Bay in your forum name?

Thanks, I’ll take a look. It sounds like just the right thing.

I actually started as a walker but I hurt my leg and am unable to continue for a while on foot. So now I just bought a used mountain bike and am converting my trip.

Pen Bay? I live in Rockland, Maine.
Are you talking about Penobscot Bay in your forum name?
Yes. I live in Waterville and sailed out of Rockland for years. Now my boating is mostly coastal canoeing and kayaking, typically a bit farther south from Bath to Port Clyde or over in Deer Isle.

Your journey sounds exactly like mine - leg injury leading to bicycle purchase. Good luck!

T

By Mike Wells

thats the book I've been using to plan my Camino. I start on the 1st of May and cannot wait to get going.
Personally I've planned a mix of road and trail. there are some parts of the camino I really want to experience so I'm sure I'll be pushing my bike some of the way but will pick up some distance by using roads where appropriate.
@senora1 I've planned my whole trip on komoot to give me a rough guide of where to go but won't be rigidly sticking to it.
My 11 days plan is here if you are interested (worryingly it has pointed out 33,500 ft of climbing over the 2 weeks.)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@Lardyb - That sounds like a marathon camino! About twice the daily mileage that I’m planning on. Hope you have a great time!

@Penbaysail I did download that book. Looks good, looks like it’s just what I need.

I bought a used mountain bike in Pamplona, and some inexpensive bags and rear rack.

I feel a little nervous about just planning this in the space of a few days. I did ride around with a fully loaded bike yesterday, and because I started out as a walker, I actually hardly even noticed the extra gear on the bike. There isn’t that much of it.

Although I’ve never done any serious touring, I’ve been riding and repairing bikes for my whole life. But I guess that bikes have at home about 20 years old and have innertube tires.

The bike I bought had tubeless tires, and while I get the impression that they get a lot less flats, it seemed incredibly difficult to repair them if you ever do. At least according to my research on the Internet.

There’s what sounds like a real pro bike shop here in Pamplona, and I’ll go over there today and see if I can find someone who speaks enough English to explain to me about the tires.

As best I could ascertain from being at the decathlon, there is a plastic bottle with goop you can spray into the tires if you’ve got a small flat or as a preventative? The only brand I saw was called Hutchinson, But they didn’t seem to have the ones loaded with air or CO2 to really push it into the tire.

Any advice would be appreciated.

And This morning I’m going ship my empty backpack ahead a couple hundred miles.

The bike I bought had tubeless tires, and while I get the impression that they get a lot less flats, it seemed incredibly difficult to repair them if you ever do. At least according to my research on the Internet.
I have done several caminos on tubeless tyres and swear by them. You just need to make sure that sealant has been added - a very simple process. Any puncture will generally seal itself.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Could you elucidate a little bit? I know nothing about this.

What’s the sealant and what is it for? How do you add it?
The sealant comes in standard one-tyre bottles. You deflate the tyre, remove the valve by unscrewing it, and squirt the sealant in. Really easy.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Go to a cycling website for information about tubeless, they ARE so much better than tubes especially off-road. Go tubeless but carry a tube and air cartridge for emergency use. Good luck with the ride Ben, we shall be a couple of weeks behind you. Richard

Last edited:
I like the photos. Do you remember where that part is? I’m sure I’ll be walking that section too!
This is right before Castrojeritz. And the gentleman in the picture is a guy that taught me how to use my gears on a long ride like this.

Most read last week in this forum

I Willl start biking from SJPD on 9.may with Ebike. I have a list of bike friendly albergs is there somebody who have experience with charging batery in such alberg. Do i need afdition 220v...
Hi all, We are a bit concerned about being able to get accomodation as we are cycling the CDN this May/June. I read that pilgrims on foot get priority up to 8pm. We are aiming to arrive each day...
Hi all I am considering cycling the coastal route but wondered if any / many albergues have minimum cycling distances. Eg do I have to ride a minimum amount per day to be able to stay in an...
Hello! I just finished my first walk on El Camino, from Sarria to Santiago, and had a great time watching all of the bikepackers zoom by on the trail. So much so that I've had a sudden interest...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back