• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which "WAY" to go

ShellsG

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (Sept/Oct. 2015)
I am torn. I walked the CF from Aug - Oct. 2015. I am planning another Camino and while I had it in my head it would be the CF again now I am torn between the CF and the VdlP. I have planned for next fall. I like aspects of both, I like the idea of doing the CF again partly (but not completely) because I bussed two sections and I feel guilty (honestly could not stand one more drop of rain) but the VdlP seems like a unique experience. So .... pro's and con's of each??

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'd go fot the Via de la Plata. It is a different Camino experience. I live in Extremadura, an outstanding region of history, beauty and unspoiled nature. It was my first Camino.

I am torn. I walked the CF from Aug - Oct. 2015. I am planning another Camino and while I had it in my head it would be the CF again now I am torn between the CF and the VdlP. I have planned for next fall. I like aspects of both, I like the idea of doing the CF again partly (but not completely) because I bussed two sections and I feel guilty (honestly could not stand one more drop of rain) but the VdlP seems like a unique experience. So .... pro's and con's of each??
I have walked 3 CFs before I walked the DdlP in May/June this year. It was a different experience that was challenging and required a good level of planning. In many cases there are long distances (35+ kms) between albergues,with often no opportunities for water or food in between. This is the "Way" less travelled with only small numbers of pilgrims compared to the CF. I walked the first 2 weeks alone and only met other pilgrims after reaching Salamanca. I don't regret walking this Camino and gained much from the experience but on occasions I felt intimidated by loneliness and the vast emptiness of the terrain.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I walked de VdlP last Gear in april May, my experience was a little bit different. There were two days longer than 30 km (the third day to Almaden de la Plata (34km)and the day to Canaveral ( 33km) It was not crowded on this Camino, but I surely wasn't alone, in fact in some places the albergues were complete and there was a "race for beds" I have a feeling that the la Plata way is quickly becoming more popular.
I liked IT very much, the landscapes and beautifull cities like Merida, Salamanca, Caceres, Zamora and Ourense

There's no absolute pros and cons: features become so through people's eyes...
Of course, there are many other different features to discuss! Landscapes (if you didn't like the Meseta, you may not like the VdlP...), distances (less accommodations on the VdlP, so sometimes, long unavoidable stages), "busy"ness (a lot less people than the CF), etc, etc.
But then, I think the main difference between the CF and the VdlP is somewhere else...

There is one thing in common with both ways: they are both Ways f Saint James and so, have that unique and mysterious quality that make of them more that just trailing paths of dust. This is what I'd call the "Camino feel", and you'll find it on either the CF or the VdlP.

However, each Way of Saint James expresses this quality in a different manner: they all have their own personalities, like living entities.
What many people call the "Camino feel", I call the personality of the CF: open, busy, loud, festive, a bit crazy, joyful, extroverted but still true, deep, intense and wise. A personality that is specific to this Camino and that is, imo, quite an "anomaly" among all the Caminos. Nothing negative here, just observing this Camino's personality is very unique compared to the ones of others Caminos, that have a lot more in common.
The personality of the VdlP is very different from the CF: fierce, though, austere, testing, quiet and yet proud, generous, caring, upright and whole. As a consequence, walking it is a very different experience as well: the VdlP is more confronting than the CF. While the CF "wraps up" its experience and its teaching in a joyful way, the VdlP kind of throws you to face yourself. Though love... but amazing experience!

So, no pros and cons... just 2 different potential guests to visit. Now the question is, which one appeals more to you?
Hint: ask your heart and intuition, then wait for their answer. That'll be the right one ;)
One more thought here: somehow, somewhere... the answer's there already!

Buen Camino!

full

Finish the Frances ,
An extra week is;
Bus to Tui and walk Portuguese
Then walk to Muxia from SDC

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back