• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which way to walk next to the sea

Totu

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, Norte, Primitivo (2015...2022)
Hello Peregrinas & Peregrinos,

I have walked Camino Frances and would like to walk a part of a different route next to the sea. I really miss the sea and I know I can go to some beach holidays, but I also REALLY miss the Camino and I am wondering if I can combine Camino with seaside and with some swimming where it is allowed/possible. I have done some research and Camino del Norte or Portugese Coastal way seem to be the options. I can go for around a week or 10 days and I can do it either in August or September. It is not important for me to end up in Santigo, I have been there already for a few times. Any ideas or recommendations? Thank you! :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Totu
The Coastal route from Porto would be perfect to you. There are a lot of beaches on the seaside, And there are several towns with good facilities on the coast, like Pavoa de Varzim, Esposende, Ancora. They all have wonderful beaches. The Litoral option from Viana de Castelo goes all the time on the seaside untill Ancora.
I only doubt your timing. In August those beach resorts can be highly reserved already now because of the holiday makers. In September could be more room available.
Anyway, Bom Caminho to you.

The camino del Norte is more often than not close to but not on the coast (with a few spectacular exceptions). I'm just finishing up the Norte now and used GPS tracks to leave the camino and walk many of the beautiful coastshave posted updates as I walked. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/a-few-tips-from-the-camino-del-norte.48291/

When I'm home and with some free time I will give more specific information. Taking the coastal route frequently raised my total kms to a bit above my comfort zone (36/38 in several cases) but it would be easy to adjust the stages to avoid this. Without a doubt, my best Norte days were spent on the coast, while those who followed the arrows found themselves on long stretches of asphalt on the shoulder of a highway. These coastal routes do not have much in the way of marking but things are pretty obvious, and with my GPS I never had trouble getting back to the camino. The asturian coast is particularly and incredibly beautiful.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Malpica to finnesterre. Route of the lite house.

I haven't walked The Norte so I'd also recommend the coastal route from Porto. I finished it myself just over a week ago and absolutely loved it. Although, that being said the stretch from Muxia to Finisterre has some breathtaking scenery if you follow the coastal trail from Lires. There are also a couple of fantastic beaches for swimming not only in Finisterre and Muxia themselves, but also along that coast leaving Muxia and again at Praia do Rostro (Nr. Castrexe). It's advised you don't swim here mind you as the currents are strong and it's an unguarded beach. But whilst I was sat near the far end of the beach a guy just walked from behind me with full wet suit on and flippers in his hand with a large spear for going fishing! I gather he was a strong swimmer with all his 'get up' though!

Don't know if this could be of interest to you , but we' ve just finished walking the Cami de Cavalls , which is a 200 km walk alla around the Island of Menorca in the Baleares . Very spectacular , with many places to take a swimming . But , as you may imagine , very busy in summer months...would recommend second half of september.
Let me know if you would need further info....

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Don't know if this could be of interest to you , but we' ve just finished walking the Cami de Cavalls , which is a 200 km walk alla around the Island of Menorca in the Baleares . Very spectacular , with many places to take a swimming . But , as you may imagine , very busy in summer months...would recommend second half of september.
Let me know if you would need further info....

Interesting that you mention this. A Camino buddy living in Barcelona did the Camí de Cavalls a few weeks ago and her pictures are stunning!

Thank you for all the responses! After reading the replies and doing some more research I think I'll go for the coastal route from Porto. I have walked from Santiago to Finisterre and then to Muxia, all this part is beautiful! Cami de Cavalls sounds really nice, but since I walk alone I am looking for more "Camino" atmosphere and albergues, which I will hopefully find on the coastal route. Now I just need to plan when to go and read more about it all. So exciting! :)

Thank you for all the responses! After reading the replies and doing some more research I think I'll go for the coastal route from Porto. I have walked from Santiago to Finisterre and then to Muxia, all this part is beautiful! Cami de Cavalls sounds really nice, but since I walk alone I am looking for more "Camino" atmosphere and albergues, which I will hopefully find on the coastal route. Now I just need to plan when to go and read more about it all. So exciting! :)

@LTfit is currently walking this route and has met only one or two pilgrims. I'm sure she'll be glad to answer questions when she is finished.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thank you Peregrina2000! Meeting only one or two pilgrims sounds a bit concerning, I would not want to walk all the way alone (even for safety reasons). On some stretches of the Camino, when I didn't feel 100% safe, I always used to wait until I saw another pilgrim from far away and then kept on walking...

Most read last week in this forum

I did not use Bookings.com during my Camino, but most pilgrims I met did. And from this site it is evident that most people use Bookings at least some of the time. This article is for those of...
Currently I am in Burgos resting up from a knee injury. I am not giving up the possibility of continuing on foot, but in the meantime I would like ideas of options in the event that I can not...
Hi all, just a quickie, Has anyone else noticed that the older you get, the larger the ratio of medication: kit you carry in your rucksack? This time round it appears to be around 60% walking...
....asked me to remind you that May 12 is the Feast of Santo Domingo de la Calzada.
As I watched the aurora Friday night (west coast Canada) I was thinking how wonderful it would be to see it along the camino. Wondering if anyone currently walking or living along the camino saw...
Hi there, I will be walking Camino Primitivo soon and I still have some questions that you could maybe help me to answer. As I would like to avoid to bring unnecessary things with me. 1. I do...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back