• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

From Porto, Portugal-to the mythical Sea Glass Beach

Time of past OR future Camino
Planned
My companion has the thought that she’d like to go to the “sea glass beach” in Portugal that is off the direction of our travel to Valenca/Tui.

We do have a free day in Porto before we leave for Valenca. Can anyone identify the “Sea Glass Beach”, its name and if it’s true that it’s not far from Porto?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I assume the one you're referring to is the sea glass beach near the Portuguese coastal route called Praia dos cristais de Silleiro, but it's in Spain, 165km from Porto and I would say too too far/impractical as a day trip from Porto. This is the location on Google Maps: https://goo.gl/maps/5Xa4mWbYBiVBA8jm7

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
For those who would like to encounter a “Sea Glass Beach” wherever in the world all that is required is a little research. Find a coastal location where the town dump involved an edge land location and wait for the tide to go out. Residents of the southern UK might like to check out the beach between Charmouth and Lyme Regis on the “Jurassic Coast”. As the cliffs have eroded the original Victorian town dump has tumbled into the sea and the sea has tumbled all those lemonade, beer and pharmacy bottles; the posh china and the ornamented sanitary ware, into treasure. Go in winter, the summer hordes will strip the beach, the winter storms offer gifts. Did I mention studying the tides? Study the tides!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I assume the one you're referring to is the sea glass beach near the Portuguese coastal route called Praia dos cristais de Silleiro, but it's in Spain, 165km from Porto and I would say too too far/impractical as a day trip from Porto. This is the location on Google Maps: https://goo.gl/maps/5Xa4mWbYBiVBA8jm7
If one were going to take a small detour, it is on the coast between As Marinas and Baredo, and if one is walking along the road, there is a side road that appears to go down there that wouldn't take too long to walk. Gronze has a description of the longer stage here, but that appears to go through the mountains rather than follow the road between As Marinas and Baredo. You would need to make some adjustments to that route to visit the beach. and walk along the PO-552 instead, and try and get back to the marked route around Baredo.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back