• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

While Waiting to Walk - What are you doing?

I am in the middle of a house project of insulating my upstairs roof area, I am clearing out everything before proper craftsmen arrive to do the job in the March, day in and day out I am bangin on with hammer and crowbar to clear out everything. Dusty and messy, truly backbreaking but satisfying to get it done...some of my camino savings will go to unforeseen expenses....

But this Sunday I saw the perfect conditions for a walk in the snow and sun, the perfect temerature below zero, and took a day off..... and what a day !!

again on my perfect camino in place- stretch...

1613416266011.png

..and I was right, from now on it will be overcast and snowing endlessly for days.....

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I seem to have developed an ability to attract birds!

I was sitting in the shade, resting from working in my garden and cooling off with an fruit ice-block when a Tui flew past, very close to where I was sitting. Then turned around and sat next to me. We live close to native bush and so we quite often have Tuis visit our garden, looking for flowers as they are nectar eaters.

They are wild birds and not particularly known for hanging out around people although most Kiwi's love Tuis because of their iconic and beautiful bird calls. They are very intelligent and are good mimics. I swear that one of the Tuis that used to visit had learned my mobile phone ringtone and would hang around outside the window calling and I would automatically go looking for my phone.

Anyway, back to this Tui. I tried to remain still to see what it would do next and it hopped onto my shoulder! So I slowly grabbed my phone out of my pocket and took this very short video:
View attachment Tui2021Hg2.mp4
I was working my phone with one hand so that I did not disturb it too much and actually meant to take a couple of photos but instead my finger wandered on the screen and I got a couple of videos instead, including this next one when it hopped down onto my chest where it was more in the light.
View attachment Tui2021Hg1.mp4
I got one more short video which captures some of its bird song before it flew away. This last video is in lower definition so that it is small enough to upload.
View attachment Tui2021Sm3.mp4

If anyone is interested in Tuis and their bird song then these links may help.

BTW, I don't think that I have any special powers, I suspect that the Tui was attracted to the smell of my fruit ice-block.

I was sitting in the shade, resting from working in my garden and cooling off with an fruit ice-block when a Tui flew past, very close to where I was sitting. Then turned around and sat next to me. We live close to native bush and so we quite often have Tuis visit our garden, looking for flowers as they are nectar eaters.

They are wild birds and not particularly known for hanging out around people although most Kiwi's love Tuis because of their iconic and beautiful bird calls. They are very intelligent and are good mimics. I swear that one of the Tuis that used to visit had learned my mobile phone ringtone and would hang around outside the window calling and I would automatically go looking for my phone.

Anyway, back to this Tui. I tried to remain still to see what it would do next and it hopped onto my shoulder! So I slowly grabbed my phone out of my pocket and took this very short video:
View attachment 93953
I was working my phone with one hand so that I did not disturb it too much and actually meant to take a couple of photos but instead my finger wandered on the screen and I got a couple of videos instead, including this next one when it hopped down onto my chest where it was more in the light.
View attachment 93954
I got one more short video which captures some of its bird song before it flew away. This last video is in lower definition so that it is small enough to upload.
View attachment 93957

BTW, I don't think that I have any special powers, I suspect that the Tui was attracted to the smell of my fruit ice-block.
Tuis...........
@Doughnut, you're making me feel homesick....

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

View attachment 93953
View attachment 93954
View attachment 93957

If a Tui is close by, a Valença can't be far away.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back