• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Who goes Camino del Norte now?

Kateline

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte
Hello everyone!
My friend and I are starting part Irun-Bilbao today. Maybe there is somebody who is on the way now? We checked that all the allbergues for donation are closed. So it seems really complicated (or expensive) to go now :-/ We booked hostel in San Sebastian and now thinking should we continue or it was not good idea at first place :) If somebody is here please contact me :)
P.S. Irun welcomes us with a rain 🙃

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi @Kateline
Big decision but I read you are already there and starting today .
You live in spain I see., so I am guessing it would be easy for you to postpone and return home if circumstances right now aren’t favourable?

There are a few links at the moment (somewhere on the forum) which advises current accommodation. Below is a link to Norte accommodation available - updated by ‘wise pilgrim ‘.

There is also advice of an area in Galicia which is under 5 day lockdown now. https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/04/euro...e-spain-coronavirus-outbreaks-intl/index.html

It’s your decision - just follow ‘covid safety advice ‘ if you continue.

1594017304069.png
1594017211169.png
1594017267367.png

Good luck
Buen camino
Annie

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello everyone!
My friend and I are starting part Irun-Bilbao today. Maybe there is somebody who is on the way now? We checked that all the allbergues for donation are closed. So it seems really complicated (or expensive) to go now :-/ We booked hostel in San Sebastian and now thinking should we continue or it was not good idea at first place :) If somebody is here please contact me :)
P.S. Irun welcomes us with a rain 🙃
Welcome to the forum @Kateline . As you live in Spain, and are already in Irun, I would suggest that you check ahead each day to secure accommodation, then walk as far as you can afford if you have a strict budget. You could then return another time to the place where you leave this time and walk further from there.
Also I suggest keeping a close check on any possible lock-down as has just happened in Lugo coastal area. A pilgrim starting there yesterday has moved out of the area (as permitted before midnight last night) because the Camino is effectively closed for at least 5 days.
Stay safe and well and Buen Camino

Hi @Kateline, I'm on my way to Irun now and am planning on leaving tomorrow morning, if everything goes as planned. I might see you guys along the way.

Hi @Kateline
Big decision but I read you are already there and starting today .
You live in spain I see., so I am guessing it would be easy for you to postpone and return home if circumstances right now aren’t favourable?

There are a few links at the moment (somewhere on the forum) which advises current accommodation. Below is a link to Norte accommodation available - updated by ‘wise pilgrim ‘.

There is also advice of an area in Galicia which is under 5 day lockdown now. https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/04/euro...e-spain-coronavirus-outbreaks-intl/index.html

It’s your decision - just follow ‘covid safety advice ‘ if you continue.

View attachment 78289
View attachment 78287
View attachment 78288

Good luck
Buen camino
Annie
Thank you !! And yes of corse we are following all the safety rules :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Welcome to the forum @Kateline . As you live in Spain, and are already in Irun, I would suggest that you check ahead each day to secure accommodation, then walk as far as you can afford if you have a strict budget. You could then return another time to the place where you leave this time and walk further from there.
Also I suggest keeping a close check on any possible lock-down as has just happened in Lugo coastal area. A pilgrim starting there yesterday has moved out of the area (as permitted before midnight last night) because the Camino is effectively closed for at least 5 days.
Stay safe and well and Buen Camino
Thanks! That's exactly what we decided :) We will go until it is possible and safe. And yes it's absolutely not cheap nowadays :-D And thank you for info about lockdown, we'll check it every day.

Anywhere in mainland Europe has the same risk and chance of getting this or passing it on. Not all of us live on another continent. Please don't tell other Pilgrims what to do, just take reasonable precautions and get on with living. If you want to continue living in a house with water and electricity, not to mention eating, people have to go to work and one of the jobs they do is tourism. You stay at home if that's your choice. My choice is different. Actually, unless you live on an island with no transport links you might as well accept that someone near you has the virus anyway.
Thank you for support :) I absolutely agree. And also we try to follow all the rules for protection. But in San Sebastian for example it's really crowded today. In Irun and Pasai only locals , surprised to see us but still friendly, just with a distance :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi @Kateline , from your words I understand you just met another pilgrim yesterday in San Sebastian and wonder approx. which the current figures on the Norte could be.

I think it was last sunday I read from another forum member that posted he had already seen a couple of groups walking through the town where he’s from, Aviles, that is about halfway starting from Irun.

Hope you have little rain :) on your way alongside that gorgeous coastline, and keep us posted as far as possible.

Buen camino and keep safe. 💪

Good luck! I'm jealous :)

I'm sure we'd all love to see your progress via Instagram. If you feel like sharing, you could post your profile name.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi @Kateline , from your words I understand you just met another pilgrim yesterday in San Sebastian and wonder approx. which the current figures on the Norte could be.

I think it was last sunday I read from another forum member that posted he had already seen a couple of groups walking through the town where he’s from, Aviles, that is about halfway starting from Irun.

Hope you have little rain :) on your way alongside that gorgeous coastline, and keep us posted as far as possible.

Buen camino and keep safe. 💪
Thanks! You are right, coastline is just amazing!! And it was rainy only first day 🙃 Today we walked from San Sebastian to Getaria (the only one allbergue that is working is here:))). So there were at least 3 pilgrim groups on the way, much more than on previous stage :) In allbergue just we and 2 girls. There sooo many tourists in Zarautz and Getaria, beaches are full🙄 But in general atmosphere is nice, but people are in masks of course and sanitizer is in everywhere :))

Katelin I am heading to the norte on foot in August. If you are already there could you please tell me if the public hostels are open and most importantly if the charge more than the usual 6-10 euros? I am on a very strict budget so it might affect whether I go or not after all. Send me a pm if you like and we can also exchange contact info if you wish. Thanks a lot and buen camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am also planning on starting the Norte soon. Around July 21st. I have the same questions 😅
Would really appreciate any advise you may have. Thank you so much!!!

My friends are meeting in Ribadeo on the 18July, at the moment Ribadeo is in the restricted A Marina de Lugo area which means pilgrims can't enter, however they believe that this area will be more focussed on a specific town on the Camino Do Mar when they extend the restrictions again this week, so they have changed their plan of walking that route and will walk the Norte instead from Ribadeo.
One of the friends stayed in the Aviles Albergue last night, he is walking to meet the others, he said there was 17 pilgrims there and a similar amount around the town in private accommodation.
He was woken up at 4.45am by pilgrims fiddling with their bags, getting ready to leave, so pandemic or not something's don't change.

Well we've stopped our Camino in Bilbao unfortunately. In Basque country it was really complicated with acomendation. We were two, so we rent hotels and guesthouses for like 50-60 euros. Allbergue worked only in Getaria, for 15€. In Guernika we could't find any place to stay (but we came late, around 8 pm). I don't know, maybe later it will be better with hostels, but now it's really expensive to do Camino :-/ Some people paid 90€ for night sometimes, some other were doing extra kilometers to reach next hostel, but it's like 40 km :) I'm happy anyway that we did those 6 days, Basque country is amazing, locals are super nice and love pilgrims! Better to know some Spanish though :) And now I better understand how to prepare myself for next try :) But it will be definetely not this year.
It's ok, it's safe if you follow all the rules with mssks and stuff, but since we've started there are more and more pilgrims every day, but still the same situation with hostels. So you should be ready to pay for hotel or have a tent maybe.
Thanks to everyone,
buen camino to those who will decide to go!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Is using a tent frowned upon? During my camino last year I had heard that it was, but maybe Covid has changed that. Thanks for sharing your journey! I may give it a shot in the next few weeks

If honestly I don't know for sure, cause we didn't have one. But can't imagine who will fine you in the middle of nowhere :)

There has been a lot of posts on the forum about using tents in the present situation have a little investigation of the Covid topics, there is also talk about the legality of wild camping and the do's and don'ts.

€149,-
Well we've stopped our Camino in Bilbao unfortunately. In Basque country it was really complicated with acomendation. We were two, so we rent hotels and guesthouses for like 50-60 euros. Allbergue worked only in Getaria, for 15€. In Guernika we could't find any place to stay (but we came late, around 8 pm). I don't know, maybe later it will be better with hostels, but now it's really expensive to do Camino :-/ Some people paid 90€ for night sometimes, some other were doing extra kilometers to reach next hostel, but it's like 40 km :) I'm happy anyway that we did those 6 days, Basque country is amazing, locals are super nice and love pilgrims! Better to know some Spanish though :) And now I better understand how to prepare myself for next try :) But it will be definetely not this year.
It's ok, it's safe if you follow all the rules with mssks and stuff, but since we've started there are more and more pilgrims every day, but still the same situation with hostels. So you should be ready to pay for hotel or have a tent maybe.
Thanks to everyone,
buen camino to those who will decide to go!

The first week of the del Norte, between Irun and Bilbao, doesn't have a lot of accommodation flexibility, especially for pilgrims, and Gernika is a really good example of that. Even with my preference for private accommodation, I found planning essential. But as you say, the countryside is amazing, and the people are wonderful and helpful. In any case, you're better prepared for next year, by which time (we hope!), the current situation will have settled.

The first week of the del Norte, between Irun and Bilbao, doesn't have a lot of accommodation flexibility, especially for pilgrims, and Gernika is a really good example of that. Even with my preference for private accommodation, I found planning essential. But as you say, the countryside is amazing, and the people are wonderful and helpful. In any case, you're better prepared for next year, by which time (we hope!), the current situation will have settled.
And many of the public albergues in Basque Country are not planning to open this year at all.

€149,-
Katelin I am heading to the norte on foot in August. If you are already there could you please tell me if the public hostels are open and most importantly if the charge more than the usual 6-10 euros? I am on a very strict budget so it might affect whether I go or not after all. Send me a pm if you like and we can also exchange contact info if you wish. Thanks a lot and buen camino!
I wouldn't risk it if I were you. Even in a normal Camino season that would be a very low budget on the Norte. With so many public albergues still closed now it seems about impossible.

@Tantalu Have to agree with @Luka

Was on the Norte this time last year and averaged €15 most nights.

Yes, there are occasional donativos (and yes always left €15), but Summer accommodation on the Norte is significantly more costly than the Frances. There were a lot of surfers vieing for space also.

We used the occasional one star hotel also, c50 for room.

Gronze is a great source of current information.

People did camp discretely but with Covid locals may not be as happy if wild camping...

Take care

It seems that for the Camino del Norte this will be a lost season. Many public albergues closed and on the other hand tourism is booming again. At least in Asturias. It seems almost more crowded than in other July months. Like all Spaniards have chosen to spend their holiday in the countryside and as quickly as possible (before another lockdown). So it will be hard for pilgrims to find alternative lodging. Especially for an acceptable price.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
It seems that for the Camino del Norte this will be a lost season. Many public albergues closed and on the other hand tourism is booming again. At least in Asturias. It seems almost more crowded than in other July months. Like all Spaniards have chosen to spend their holiday in the countryside and as quickly as possible (before another lockdown). So it will be hard for pilgrims to find alternative lodging. Especially for an acceptable price.
Where I live it's hard to find a campsite or cabin to rent for a few days. People want to get out of town for a few days and be in nature.

I'm planning to start the Camino next month, arriving in Irun on 25th August. I am walking alone but of course, I am hoping to meet/walk/interact with other pilgrims along the way. Is anyone on the route now able to speak to the amount of traffic?

There has been a lot of posts on the forum about using tents in the present situation have a little investigation of the Covid topics, there is also talk about the legality of wild camping and the do's and don'ts.
This year it is different. Sometimes it is hard to predict what is or will be available until you set off. I am walking from San Sebastian to Compostela and then Finisterre. I have time, not so much money but also I have a tent which has helped as camping sites are good reasonably priced options. I want to support local businesses and those who rely on camino tourism. So far, we are 30kms from Santander and my friend has walked from Brussels since last year (Sept 2019) with his dog, all in one go. He was locked down in Hendaye. His camino is a way of life now, I’m joining them but have my own tent too. The Camino del Norte seems quiet but I have nothing to compare it to. Food and wine is good value (I am from
London) and so it’s pros and cons. We have met some wonderful helpful people and some xenophobes who see us as CV-19 carriers, but such is life and the sea, stars, sun, rain trees and animals do not judge us. Buen Camino! Miranda

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
This year it is different. Sometimes it is hard to predict what is or will be available until you set off. I am walking from San Sebastian to Compostela and then Finisterre. I have time, not so much money but also I have a tent which has helped as camping sites are good reasonably priced options. I want to support local businesses and those who rely on camino tourism. So far, we are 30kms from Santander and my friend has walked from Brussels since last year (Sept 2019) with his dog, all in one go. He was locked down in Hendaye. His camino is a way of life now, I’m joining them but have my own tent too. The Camino del Norte seems quiet but I have nothing to compare it to. Food and wine is good value (I am from
London) and so it’s pros and cons. We have met some wonderful helpful people and some xenophobes who see us as CV-19 carriers, but such is life and the sea, stars, sun, rain trees and animals do not judge us. Buen Camino! Miranda

Most read last week in this forum

Hi if I wanted to do the Del Norte and had 2 weeks any recommendations (would be much appreciated ) and which part of the Norte would be less challenging. Marianne
Hi. I only have 7 days and will be walking from Irun to Bilboa end of April, first week of May. Aside from booking ahead in San Sebastián and Bilbao, do I need to book in advance or will I have...
Hello, I am brand new to the Camino and am planning to hike the Norte and Primitive routes starting mid-May, 2024. I think I have access to most of the resources I need except I don't seem to be...
Hi all, and thank you in an advance for your time and consideration :) I'm very much in my "Camino dreaming" phase, but next year I'll be looking to pre-book some of my accomodation for my...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.