• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Why do pilgrims carry on when it is really hard?

Thank you MarkyD This puts an entirely different light on this thread and resonated with some things that I, and many others I am sure, feel about how the Camino addresses our lives

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Exactly my first impression when I read the question! You don't have to ascribe to religion in order to experience obstacles, experience suffering, carry on. It's the human condition that drives us, not organized religion. Organized religion doesn't exempt me from being human.

Why assume walking into Santiago have more meaning for a catholic, than say, a than a non-Catholic...is my query?

Last edited by a moderator:
Beware: This is a sensitive subject to some people. I have already been called "almost troll-like" and "an angry person" by some honorable members in a less than flattering PM ! (Almost troll-like? Isn't that an oxymoron?) I suggest you tread carefully on this one buddy !

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You have answered your own original question.

But you posed a perfectly reasonable question...why did no one catch the "non-religious" pilgrim thing? As if we don't have deep mysteries living within ourselves as well? I'm not talking about faith, which is far more broad, personal and expansive. Most of the responses illustrated my point though...no one talked about religion per se, but of their common human experiences. And proves that walking the camino is one of those experiences that transcend religious affiliation.

PS The words "faith" and "religion" can be used interchangeably, doesn't mean they have the same meaning. Religion is a social and cultural system, faith is much more personal, maybe being loyal and trusting in a belief or....religion? ex: My gramma was Irish Catholic (religion) and clung to her beliefs (faith) during hard times.

ok maybe I did open a can of worms. lol

If I could respond to Bad Pilgrim and truenorthpilgrim? Perhaps clarify?

I thought my post was both simple and clear and was written to encourage responses. What cannot be denied is that the Camino is a Catholic pilgrimage to the remains of St James, and always has been.
My point was that Catholics have a tradition that is nearly 1200 years old that they follow.
The goal is to arrive at the remains of St James and whatever difficulties and pain are encountered along the way are inherent, a part of that pilgrimage. .... if it becomes too much they can pray for help, rest, then carry on - this is clear.
Surrender to God and responding to a calling are the same thing, just couched in different terms.

So my question - without that Catholic framework and no religious need nor desire to get to the remains of the saint, what encourages non religious pilgrims to carry on?

Think of it like this .... visiting Mecca (yes, I know non-Muslims cannot, but put that aside) ... if a non religious arrived after walking a few hundred miles through desert, thirst, blisters, attacked by wild creatures, but arrived - would a Muslim not ask "but why did you persevere?".
Or the great holy gathering at the Ganges - would a Hindu not look at you slightly bemused and ask why you had carried on and not turned back?

So my question - I already knew the answer for myself but thought it would be a good post for discussion.

It really is very simple - a Catholic on pilgrimage, on a Catholic pilgrimage, dedicated to arriving at the remains of St James knows why they carry on - so why do the non-religious carry on?
And most of the responses above beautifully answer that question, don't you think?

p.s. - I know people have different beliefs about everything and my post was not intended to upset anyone, merely to ask a simple question, a question that has produced some utterly wonderful responses.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
According to some studies** on the pilgrimage, some were for enlightenment but some were also for punishment, either set by the Inquisition or even a judicial punishment (for murder).

Again according to these studies, the Compostelle was a means of showing the pilgrimage had been completed and the punishment taken.

Views on the purpose of pilgrimage, like most views, are tempo-centric.

**https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/057121293X/?tag=casaivar-21

Firstly, not upset or offended, and thanks for further clarifying... And yes, everyone answered beautifully. The responses to your question speak to the power and magic of the camino. Explain why, someone like me (non religious), who does not agree with many catholic teachings, cannot stay away from the camino. It's this big, weird, powerful mysterious entity that keeps calling me back. Even people who say "I just like walking! It's just a walk" I always think but is it? Is it just a walk?

I'll leave it there, because for the last 45 minutes I've tried to craft a better response to your comment and I just can't seem to get the words out. Which means I need to go on another camino....

cheers!

Which just goes to show...there are many questions and just, sometimes, not many answers.
I have been on "camino" from the day I was born and carry the scars physically and emotionally willingly.
The day I give up will not be up to me.
Keep well everyone.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
This is certainly an interesting way of looking at the "camino" and so very true, figuratively speaking. You've added a valid, yet different way of thinking to the discussion.

What a treasure, Jenny, to have such a photo and remembrance. I spend much of my time doing local history research, and before COVID lock downs, I did photographic research in our town museum.
I will add because of the similarity, have a dear friend who will be 99 in 2 weeks, who was in the last class of the US Army Nurse Cadette Corps. While training in a North Carolina hospital, she met her husband who had been wounded in the Battle of the Bulge. When I pilgrimage, I often think of her as an inspiration for perseverance.
And so it goes.

What a great question! I've found it fascinating reading the responses on this thread. I've thought about this a lot from my own experiences on the Camino.

It's impossible to completely avoid suffering, and a little bit of suffering seems intrinsically linked to our ability to experience joy. It's the same on the Camino, without a certain amount of hardship and struggle reaching Santiago just wouldn't feel the same.

However, I do think that pushing on despite excruciating pain (with the possibility of permanent injury) is something else. Personally, I have to watch out for a kind of 'summit fever', where I become fixated on the destination, with a willingness to reach it at any physical or emotional cost.

When I was suffering on the Camino del Norte a kind hospitalero, gently reminded me that it wasn't really about getting to Santiago, that it's a personal journey and an internal one, Santiago will always be there. It helped me get back to why I set-off on pilgrimage in the first place.

I think ultimately what drives me forward through the pain is a deep curiosity to learn and understand more about myself and others. However, knowing when to stop has also become an important part of the journey for me.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Well, for me it is really quite simple: i am determined to finish what i start; i want to be able to say i finished. It is a kind of religion with me.

There are many harder things in life for the average pilgrim. Religious or not.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
To answer this question, we need to ask, how many people get an an opportunity to really get in touch with themselves in a manner that is mainly independent of Pilgrim
is challenging the Camino to a duel to have the chance to come into the light and evidence to themselves they are special even worthy to be a valid human being. They have heard all the stories about how hard it is and the mystical experiences other pilgrims have They want to be tested to have an opportunity, to see what they can do in a journey which is different for every Pilgrim.They feel if they can achieve the completion of the journey, they will be changed for ever, as if going through a mystical Portal. Some even continue doing it, addicted to the mystical experience.
For many, seeking oneness through meditation is not conclusive, through completion of the Camino, we are awarded a form of Nirvana.

Hi David, maybe i may help, I completed the Camino Frances in April/May 2018. I have no religious preference, a non believer? No, but i guess im not a true believer either. My journey was driven by the memories of my loving son who died in my arms at 10 years old in 2006.
Each step, through pain or not was in his memory, each church service i attended was dedicated to him ( I found solace in those beautiful places, small or large) I truly believe that my journey originated as someone not aware of the powerful gravity that these religious places have, to find myself definitely being more and more drawn back for the reasons I initially denied.
I assume those who declare their journey is not for religious reasons are still as fiercely driven for their own reasons, and if they are lucky enough ( as i was) the spiritual seed is planted .
Nicky

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I think 'psychology' provides much of the answer. And remembering that many people don't complete the distance of the camino - for those who push on through pain and discomfort - their psychological makeup would answer your question. The drivers may be internal or external but possessing a strength of will to finish doesn't require a spiritual or religious commitment.
I, like many have walked through pain. Having stopped and cried more than once on each camino - wondering if I can go on. And I have gone on...marveling at the wonders of restorative sleep, finding coffee or something to eat, finding shade or a break in the rain...small things that bring me back to myself and my experience. Ultimately not thinking too much about the journeys end helps. Thinking only of today, right now...being present...it reduces the sense of being overwhelmed and therefore energy is returned to the self, to continue.

The pure joy of accomplishment and the comradery of all types, ages and nationalities of pilgrims. I am not a believer in religion, however I am a spiritual being. I loved the personal challenge, which wasn't really that difficult and its super fun for those with an adventurous, gypsy soul.

I'm a staunch atheist, and I have completed 3 Caminos. Del Norte, Via de Plate and Portuguese. I "carry on" because I derive great joy from the process. The stress free ability to do nothing by put one foot in front of the other. To meet new people, experience the different cultures along the way, the different foods, the differing scenery. The chance to be alone with my thoughts for an extended time. The Caminos have without doubt been highlights of my adult life

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ahh...your response does indeed echo my own experience. Thank you!

Most read last week in this forum