• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

will it be cold by mid November?

ultra

Hi I am planning to start walking around mid October 2009 from SPPdp and finish a month later, has anyone walked at this time of the year before? and if so what was the weather like? don't want to carry thick jacket if possible. Ultra

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Be prepared for cold. We even had snow to walk through. Albergues are nearly empty and hospitaleros can be reluctant to spend money on heat for just one or two pilgrims!

Albergues begin closing at the end of October, and hospitaleros do not seem to know which albergues ahead will be open. In towns with multiple albergues, one always seemed to be open. My only suggestion is to be flexible. That is no comfort when you are tired and facing another 8 km because a place is closed, but that is life on the Camino in November. The information sheets from St. Jean Pied de Port are not accurate when they say "open all year." The internet websites listing "open all year" also are not accurate. There does not seem to be accurate information, so the best information might be obtained by phoning ahead.

Yes, I'd like to know that too. I'll be doing it at the same time. I was actually more concerned about the number of Albergues open at that time of year. Is that a problem?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi all :) remember that heading into November you will have been walking across a fairly high plateau, the Meseta, and then you climb to 4000ft as you cross the Montes de Leon after Astorga. I've worked at Rabanal during the first week of November and it was normal to have frosty nights due to clear skies. The upside is that the clear skies can give you wonderful dawns and dusks and bright sunshine during the day. The scenery is something to die for.
Buen Camino to all
Brendan

last year it was cold in November, especially at night. The days were still sunny and fairly warm, but by Burgos there was snow on the mountains. If you don't want to carry a jacket, pack a pair of longjohns and a thermal top along with a lighter weight fleece. Then you can wear the longjohns in bed at night for warmth, and being the camino, I wore them under my walking clohtes during the day when I needed to.

I'm also starting my first Camino walk from SJPDP on 24th October this year, and planning on finishing on Nov 25th. There seems to be a few of the Hostals that are closed at this time of the year - I was hoping to stay at Hostal Orisson so I could have a short start - but it's closed. I'd love to hear from other pilgrims who've walked during October - November and the accommodation options.
regards,
Anita
(Australia)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
When we walked from mid October till early November last year, from Burgos to Santiago, I had taken clothes that were just too warm. They had been great the year before, from mid-November to early December. I found that in late October, I still could have worn short sleeve shirts and shorts in fact.
There can be frost on the ground early in the morning, at day break, and then the sun kicks in and becomes much warmer.
Yes, some albergues are closed, particularly the private ones. But many municipal and parochial albergues stay open. True, it's not always very hot. In fact, I remember one on the Camino Aragones that was deserted, not really clean and very cold. So we went to a casa rural instead.
I have always found long johns very useful, as well as layering.
You should have a wonderful time!
Buen Camino,
claire

Anita,

I recently e-mailed Hostal Orisson to see if they were open October 20th this year and they replied "yes". Perhaps you should e-mail them, it seems unlikely that they would be closed a few days later. I expect to be there sometime between Oct 17 and Oct 20, haven't quite decided yet,

Brenda

Hi,

Is possible you find some snow, or the first day (less probable) or in FoncebadĂłn or Cebreiro. Be ready for that and of course for some cold weather.

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Having read these replies I am a bit concerned about walking el camino in November. I am planning to go with my 12 year old son and we don't mind the cold but if it is really deserted, there could be problems if we encounter difficulties or can't find accomodation. Does anyone have advice about walking with children? I have seen the reference to the mum with her baby but nothing related to older kids. How deserted is el camino at this time of year?
Kind regards,
Deb (Somerset UK)

Salangoney said:
Having read these replies I am a bit concerned about walking el camino in November. I am planning to go with my 12 year old son and we don't mind the cold but if it is really deserted, there could be problems if we encounter difficulties or can't find accomodation. Does anyone have advice about walking with children? I have seen the reference to the mum with her baby but nothing related to older kids. How deserted is el camino at this time of year?
Kind regards,
Deb (Somerset UK)

Hi,

In my opinion you will meet a few pilgrims everyday, you will never walk alone (like the Liverpool players, jeje).

But, I'm not sure about the idea of walking with a 12 years old child on autumn. I cant talk about.

Buen Camino, anyway

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

Hi,
I also did walk oktober and november, ending november 25.
All kinds of weather, cold and hot, rain, mist and sun.
Never alone, always a few pilgrims.
A few albergues will be closed, mostly that is communicated at the albergues beforehand.
One track might need some extra attention: between Burgos and Castrojeriz not that many albergues opened in this time of year.

(I read something about an albergue off-track near Hontanas, any idea anyone where that might be?)

Ultreya,
Carli Di Bortolo.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.