Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Will many facilities be open in April?

breakintheclouds

Hello everybody,

I'm planning to walk the Camino Primitivo over the Easter period in 2012, probably starting 1 or 2 April. As this is quite early in the year, and a long way before the peak of summer, am I likely to find many of the accommodation and food places closed? Do they specifically open after Easter Sunday, perhaps?

Many thanks!

Ian

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Many albergues that say they are open all year in the internet lists are not open all year. This year, some may not open until after Easter, April 8. The weather has been nice, and the number of pilgrims has been large for February, so the more entrepreneurial of the hospitaleros may open early to make some additional money. Your best bet would be to call ahead (or have someone call on your behalf).

You are lucky to be in Spain for Semana Santa! It is spectacular and an experience you will remember forever! I was in Toledo, Madrid, and Sevilla during Semana Santa in 2003. It was awesome!

However, be aware that many of the cities and towns will be full, including many albergues, because a lot of people go home for the big holiday. You may want to walk shorter stages until after April 8 to ensure you have a bed.

En Asturias, salvo en algunos sitios como Avilés, Villaviciosa, luarca y un poco Oviedo, la semana Santa no se celebra como el resto de España, no hay tanta pasión. Somos de otras costumbres. Quizás sea la influencia celta.
Desconozco si en Lugo lo viven de otra forma.

In Asturias, except in places like Aviles, Villaviciosa, Oviedo luarca and some, Easter is not celebrated like the rest of Spain, there is so much passion. We are in other ways. Perhaps the Celtic influence.
Lugo know if you live in a different way.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you for these further replies. I plan to stay in pilgrim Alburgues, so I hope these won't fill up with people visiting their families. But perhaps I'll take a small tent just in case - this will let me be a lot more flexible with my days too.

Remember that you will need your credencial to stay in the albergues. They will not fill up with families, like hotels do, unless the family is walking the Camino together.
There are also some private albergues, hostals etc along the Primitivo which can be phoned and booked a day or so before, when you are sure of your arrival day. Most of the municipal albergues have a contact number to check they are open and will often advise you of alternatives.
You can also check out the main municipalities area web sites for other paid accomodation (Tineo, Lugo etc).
The CSJ guide gives many alternative accomodation places with phone numbers, also bars/cafes etc as well as the general directions. A good investment.
It could be very cold at night so it would be good to take a comfort rated (0-5C) lightweight sleeping bag.
Buen Camino
Tio Tel's other half

Tia, thank you for that advice. I have ordered a copy of the CSJ guide, so should be covered for information.

And I have a really nice warm sleeping bag that I take everywhere, so certainly shouldn't be too cold!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Thanks to those of you who have wished me Buen Camino pm! My plan was Salvador/Prim, but 1) cold feet because of a knee (old injury) and 2) would have to rush with no possibilty of short/rest...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back